Articles: Soul Clans and Allniter venues of Scotland

Guest ukvibe

Guest Byrney

Shotts - one special Allnighter, unique. Ask anyone who went they'll tell you the same.

Good work. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest USA Pete

Same here...the minute I walked in I knew it was something special. 

Music enthusiasm was something else.

If you never went there then you have missed out on one of the best allnighters there has been. IMHO.

Social source share

Guest Mrs M

Shotts was fabulous but The Claremont in Edinburgh was amazing in the early 9t's too. Scotland always got it spot on!!!
n n

Social source share

Shotts was good once it found its feet, the packed bus mark speaks of became a hard too fill minibus at times as nsoul fell further out of fashion. 

Social source share

Guest woody1971

would describe myself as a regular at shotts from mid 1990 to its end,always heard something new to my ears everytime.the venue was a sh*thole and was impossible to get to by public transport,but for some reason it had IT whatever it is,went to a couple of nighters at a leisure centre in livingstone in the months after shotts closed,just wasn't the same.had to pass through allanton to get there made the journey back to England tough

Social source share

We really loved the Mussleborough niters (and of course the half dozen or so Shotts niters I went to, Bathgate I found a bit strange - had that weird Whitchurch vibe about it to me) - even took Les Cokell up there. Absolute madhouse and fantastic music.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Gogz u might be able to answer this, niters in Fauldhouse and Whitburn or was it just Fauldhouse, it was run by Michael (surname escapes me) or was it just Fauldhouse. Prob over 29 yr ago 

Edited by tenuate
dates wrong
Social source share

brilliant times & memories of shotts  when I drove the mini busses to shotts. a couple of  times we even had two buses. mark mennie often driving the other always picked up the Dundee crew on the way there. remember both buses driving down the M8 side by side 70mph two guys hanging out the windows passing cig papers for skinning up lol. some cracking laughs on the bus remember someone gibbering on the back of the bus after the nighter and getting that big chunky battery bounced off his head lol  used to stop in Dundee on way home then up to Jimmy fox & Maggie browns multi flats for coffee & to play the new tunes we bought at shotts. brilliant times never to be forgotten.

thanks for the memories & brilliant squad we had

Acky

Edited by 60ssoul
Social source share

Americana all nighters in edinburgh circa 1977

the ywca at the west end. Ran by Dougie conners, on a Sunday night. Influential starting place for the northern scene in Edinburgh circa 1976! Maniquee all nighter falkirk, Tommy Cockburn  and Ian Parker were involved in that one circa 1977

Tiffanies in edinburgh were all dayers

exciters, j j Barnes appeared at them

circa 1977/78

and who could forget the Tranmere alldayers in Tranent, ran by Neil Mckillop, early 80's 

Edited by Jolly
Social source share

Gogz u might be able to answer this, niters in Fauldhouse and Whitburn or was it just Fauldhouse, it was run by Michael (surname escapes me) or was it just Fauldhouse. Prob over 29 yr ago 

It was myself and Michael Higgins that ran the Shrine Soul Club monthly in and around Whitburn. Had 2 Niters in Faulhouse. Regulars DJ's were Alan Walls, Colin Law, the late (and great) Barney, Jim Tennant, Andy Dennison, Michael and me.

Gary

Social source share

It was myself and Michael Higgins that ran the Shrine Soul Club monthly in and around Whitburn. Had 2 Niters in Faulhouse. Regulars DJ's were Alan Walls, Colin Law, the late (and great) Barney, Jim Tennant, Andy Dennison, Michael and me.

Gary

thanks Gary, I recall tramping oer fields in depths o winter lead by Michael taking. The Aberdeen entourage back to his house, before we got bus north, don't think his mum was happy at all these kids in her front room. 

Social source share

thanks Gary, I recall tramping oer fields in depths o winter lead by Michael taking. The Aberdeen entourage back to his house, before we got bus north, don't think his mum was happy at all these kids in her front room. 

Aye, that sounds about right, LOL!!

gary

Social source share

brilliant times & memories of shotts  when I drove the mini busses to shotts. a couple of  times we even had two buses. mark mennie often driving the other always picked up the Dundee crew on the way there. remember both buses driving down the M8 side by side 70mph two guys hanging out the windows passing cig papers for skinning up lol. some cracking laughs on the bus remember someone gibbering on the back of the bus after the nighter and getting that big chunky battery bounced off his head lol  used to stop in Dundee on way home then up to Jimmy fox & Maggie browns multi flats for coffee & to play the new tunes we bought at shotts. brilliant times never to be forgotten.

thanks for the memories & brilliant squad we had

Acky

Edited by tenuate
rambling
Social source share

• 4 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!