Queen of the squawkers?

macca

We've had loads of threads about tone deaf artists like George Lemons, Margaret Little, Dora Hall? What about records that seem like an utter din due to relentless squawking, screeching and other primaeval sounds? I just listened to Chaka Khan's I'm every woman, prodigious lungs on her but after listening to it I thought what a din. I'm more of a Gladys Knight, Debbie Taylor, Sandra Wright, Millie Jackson bloke myself. This doesn't have to be Northern orientated, all Soul genres welcome. The sacred Linda Jones got a little bit too carried away at times for my liking and Whitney Houston just sounds like f*** row to my ears, but I accept that might be heresy to some of you. Esther Phillips, though I love Home Is Where The Hatred Is, can grate on me after an hour's worth. C'mon, let's be havin' you... 

Social source share

That's hugely unfair to Lolleatta Holloway. She could turn on the pyrotechnics to order later in her career simply because that's precisely what people were paying her for, but her early recordings take some beating for vocal range and quality.

"I'll Be Gone" from the "Cry To Me" album. To me not one note is wasted and the emotional punch is right on the button.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

That's hugely unfair to Lolleatta Holloway. She could turn on the pyrotechnics to order later in her career simply because that's precisely what people were paying her for, but her early recordings take some beating for vocal range and quality.

"I'll Be Gone" from the "Cry To Me" album. To me not one note is wasted and the emotional punch is right on the button.

Flippin' wonderful. :thumbsup:

But Linda Jones on the other hand was a proper squawker.

Social source share

Have to agree with Macca, I know this wont go down with a lot of people but ive never been a big fan of Linda Jones (tin helmet on ) for the very same reason, I don't deny she was good but not always for me

I know what you mean, but I very rarely listen to one artist for more than a couple of tracks. Couldn't listen to a whole album of Linda, much as I like her.

i think there is a tendancy for some artists to over sing it. Jennifer Holliday And I'm telling you is a prime example

peace

Kev

Social source share

I know what you mean, but I very rarely listen to one artist for more than a couple of tracks. Couldn't listen to a whole album of Linda, much as I like her.

i think there is a tendancy for some artists to over sing it. Jennifer Holliday And I'm telling you is a prime example

peace

Kev

I'll go with that Kev, it might also be the reason that a larger % of what I prefer would be male group harmony songs. Gilly

Social source share

Just thinking (I do that now and again) the other side of both our points can be that a great song that we would all love can be watered down a change of singer and bang its become a well known song or even a hit. Now that does piss me off.

Social source share

Yes, never been a fan of the "who screams loudest is most soulful" ethic, you see them on X Factor trying to emulate it and I think its cringeworthy, they start screeching the crowd starts cheering more, the reaction of the judges, the whole thing is embarrassing, Aretha knew when to rein it in, Gladys is incredible and Shirley Brown another of my faves, must say I like Loleatta and Linda, "Cry to me" set is a big fave in this house

Kev

Social source share

Linda was certainly a bit intense. She could overdo it, as could Patti and Lolleatta at times. They had wonderful voices but you just wonder if the producer might have asked them to take it down a notch or two. 

Charles Bradley is a contemporary singer that I struggle to listen to for more than a few tracks. Some light and shade would be welcome. Most of the time less is more with music and its what is left out can be just as important.

For understatement yet maximum soulfulness you couldn't do better than Betty Swann.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!