Beat Ballads - Love 'em Or Hate 'em

Guest Johnny Mack

Guest Johnny Mack

Got to admit that I'm a fan - soul music doesnt have to be upbeat to get my attention - in fact its the slower cuts that make it for me.

Here's a few I played a few today that I'll share with you all :

Tasha Thomas - I saw the sky - Roulette

Sylvia St Claire - Is he alright - Brunswick

Garrett Saunders - A day or two - Serock

Gene Stridel - Tomorrow is another day - Atlantic

Phil Colbert - Who's got the action - Philips

Roger Pace - You better know what you're doing - Twirl

What's your faves ???

Stay cool

Johnny Mack thumbsup.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I love em...I have a 'not suitable for playing out' box which contains stuff ranging from soulful beat ballads to crooner stuff.

I love all the big well known ones, but six of my favorites are

Jim Majure - depending on you

Arthur prysock - before you break my heart

Brook Benton where does a man go to cry

Frankie valli - Thi is Goodbye

Kenny Gamble - you dont know what you've got until you lose it

and the very unsoulful

Dick Haffner go 'way tears &

Edited by NASHEE
Social source share

Love em :thumbsup:

Ray Pollard - It's A Sad Thing ,one of my current favourites, probably cause' i just managed to get a copy.

Also "The Drifter" by Ray,

Ernie Andrews - Where Were You , brilliant

Garnet Mimms - It Was Easier To Hurt Her , even brillianter !! :D

Anyone ever heard "Johnny Nash's" version of "Old Man River" ? That's an hair on the back of the neck one if ever i heard one :D

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Anyone ever heard "Johnny Nash's" version of "Old Man River" ? That's an hair on the back of the neck one if ever i heard one :thumbsup:

What a toon got to be one of my faves at the mo :D

will post it up when i get home if no one beats me to it

Social source share

Anyone ever heard "Johnny Nash's" version of "Old Man River" ? That's an hair on the back of the neck one if ever i heard one :thumbsup:

Please do post it, I love beat ballads, don't hear enough imo.

It is hard to pick a favourite as there are so many I love.

Just a few I like:

Dee Dee Sharp - I really love you

Roy Hamilton - The panic is on, Heartache hurry on by, etc

Bobby Bennett - Alone with my tears

Lenny Welch - Run to my loving arms

Hal Miller - Blessing in disguise

Clyde McPhatter - Lonely people (can't afford to cry)

Freddie Paris - There she goes

Magnificent 7 - Never will I make my baby cry

Prince Harold - Forget about me

Jimmy Beaumont - I never loved her anyway

Little Anthony & The Imperials - Hurt so bad, It's not the same, I'm lost without you, etc

I could go on and on, but I am sure you get the picture.

Social source share

I've got the deck through the mixer & into the pc at the moment to do some recording, so i'll save you the trouble Miff yes.gif

Nice looking lable too :D so i'll put it here rather than the other thread

Johnny_Nash___Old_Man_River__LQ_.MP3

jn.JPG(post-5566-1157987888_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I've got the deck through the mixer & into the pc at the moment to do some recording, so i'll save you the trouble Miff :thumbsup:

Nice looking lable too :thumbsup: so i'll put it here rather than the other thread

Nice mines the issue

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

They're all very fine in the comfort and privacy of your own home it that's your thing.... but PLEASE ! Not for playing out at venues! :D:yes::rolleyes:

That statement is utter rubbish!!!

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

You may think so.... I don't.

My point exactly!!! :rolleyes:

You state that you don't want to hear such tunes played out, but that is merely your opinion. There are a great many others that do want to hear them! Some fantastic tunes have been mentioned and they just don't get played out often enough!

Surely playing a variety to suit many tastes is preferable?

Social source share

Guest Ms Murray

Lets not get into too much of a debate about personal taste (again :rolleyes: ) - the original post was just asking for people's faves... :thumbsup:

Personal Taste? People's favourites? Same thing!

I was not advocating a debate, simply encouraging variety.........the spice of life!!!

Social source share

Personal Taste? People's favourites? Same thing!

I was not advocating a debate, simply encouraging variety.........the spice of life!!!

Not aimed at you, or anyone in particular, just didn't want to see another topic going down the "it's great", "no, it's sh*t", "no, it's great" line :rolleyes:

Social source share

Couple of real nice ones there Miff, especially the "Clyde McPhatter :rolleyes:

By the way, how do you put the tunes up in the correct fashion like that ?

Use the new clip button on the bottom of the page :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got to admit that I'm a fan - soul music doesnt have to be upbeat to get my attention - in fact its the slower cuts that make it for me.

Here's a few I played a few today that I'll share with you all :

Tasha Thomas - I saw the sky - Roulette

Sylvia St Claire - Is he alright - Brunswick

Garrett Saunders - A day or two - Serock

Gene Stridel - Tomorrow is another day - Atlantic

Phil Colbert - Who's got the action - Philips

Roger Pace - You better know what you're doing - Twirl

What's your faves ???

Stay cool

Johnny Mack :rolleyes::thumbsup:

Just bought an album that's full of this style of Soul " Songs of the big city " - Clyde McPhatter [Mercury ] , Three rooms with running water , Second window , second floor , The shelter of your arms , etc etc , superb album . Best ,Eddie

Social source share

there's nothing wrong with a beat ballad or two in a set IMHO. Mid tempo and beat ballads is my prefered listening at home but I'm not that daft to think you can get a way with a full set of 'em...anyway I prefer to hear dancers, mid tempo moovers when out but I still think there is always room for the odd quality beat ballad or two in a set if done right :rolleyes:

Social source share

Use the new clip button on the bottom of the page :rolleyes:

Yes but how do you get the link into the post ?

The voice from above is probably going to come up in a minuite telling me to "look in the site news you stupid little twerp" :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes but how do you get the link into the post ?

The voice from above is probably going to come up in a minuite telling me to "look in the site news you stupid little twerp" :rolleyes:

Its all done by magic, just do as the page says enter title artist lable selct the song from your pc via the browse button the hit submit and wait till you are told that the upload is complete and its done :thumbsup:

Social source share

Aw come on Rowly, end of the night or nighter when your legs can take no more. I bet there is a couple you have enjoyed ? :thumbsup:

I was doing it to provoke a reaction Gabriel.... :rolleyes: After all it does say "love or hate em" in the thread title!

I can hadle a couple at the end of a nighter without too much problem.... it's just when some numpty plays half a dozen or so in the middle of the night - around 3-4 am. NOOOO! don't do it!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T
:thumbsup: I remember fondly the Barely Shuffling night organised by Nick Brown at the Phoenix, should have been more like that. Played stuff like (probably, it was a while ago) Gene Stridel, At The End Of The Day that was discussed on here recently, Knickerbockers, Chris Peterson, Big Maybelle as an ender. Shows how people's minds worked, got moaned at for playing slowies when I put on Timmy Shaw Thunder In My Heart. :rolleyes: A fair cop! Should have played the b side.
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

who wants to hear too many slow songs in a set, unless relevent at end as in Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after Tonight is Over classic Northern love song but don't want to hear many more as it's about playing faster ones

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Chalky is right a couple of beat ballads cant do anyone anyharm

put a list on the other thread

but how about the furys the man who has everything

Annabell fox lonely girl satin

Little Anthony you only live twice veep

and

Jimmy Radcliffe the thrill of loving you old Andy Rix spin unreleased

Tunes

Al H rolleyes.gif

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

Aw come on Rowly, end of the night or nighter when your legs can take no more. I bet there is a couple you have enjoyed ? rolleyes.gif

Yes you cant beat a nice slow ender (esp Gene Stridel - used to always end my spots with that ) - but agree with Rowly that we dont wanna hear them in the middle of a soul nite / niter - keep the stompers coming!!

Social source share

As someone who does not get out and about any more. Can someone tell me what Kenny Lynch "Movin' Away" has to do with "the scene"?

Paul [/quo

I think it's a really soulful record thumbsup.gif but thats just IMO

Social source share

They're all very fine in the comfort and privacy of your own home it that's your thing.... but PLEASE ! Not for playing out at venues! :lol::D:thumbsup:

I suppose bloke's shuffling around the dancefloor, pint-pots in hand, singalongin' to Ray Gant & Arabian Knights 'Don't leave me baby' is a no-no as well then :lol:

Aaah, for them nights at the Canal Tavern :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!