Topman does Northern Soul

Paul-s

If I recall correctly, wasn't Top Shop "doing" Northern Soul about 10 years ago in what was possibly the first wave of renewed media attention. The actual timeframe eludes me, but this would have been around when rare records were first featuring in a story lines on Coronation Street.

Ooh, hold on. I'm getting a strong sense of dejavu! :hypo:

Social source share

Time everyone stopped bellyaching about all this stuff and just embraced it. It's f*cking hilarious actually :lol:

Hey, I was only posting to celebrate this eternal soulful look and yes it is f*cking hilarious and a source of much pleasure to many of us.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

I saw this reported on FB ages ago & have popped in to Top Man on a number of occasions since to check out what they have got & to have a sn*****....never seen anything in there at all ???.

Russ

that's a shame, those tighter fitted Keks that bear the name 'Rare Soul' all over them would look uber natty at Lifeline or the 100 club ;)

Social source share

"We don't know how long it will take for the wider trouser to catch on for guys, but the hedonistic party spirit of Northern Soul is still going strong today."

"Topman Design has generated a collection perfect for introducing a new generation to the ever-cool Northern Soul culture. So for spring summer 2016 prepare to bust a move on Topman’s Northern Soul Train."

https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/25076/1/how-northern-soul-sparked-a-fashion-revolution

Right On Now.

Social source share

a quick :g:

do you think that the 'recent' northern soul film had any influence on any of all this ?

Yes, it's certainly brought it to the attention of those looking for the next big thing, including the Topman designers.  They say fashions go around in circles, and it looks like the 70's are under the spotlight at the moment.  Most of us wouldn't be seen dead in some of the stuff we wore back then, and it'll be amusing if today's youth adopt the look.  What they parade on the catwalk and what makes it onto the high street are two different things.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

a quick :g:

do you think that the 'recent' northern soul film had any influence on any of all this ?

yes definitely - it made the scene look edgy and a bit dangerous ( which it was) which is always appealing to the culture hunters of the fashion industry. 

Social source share

"We don't know how long it will take for the wider trouser to catch on for guys, but the hedonistic party spirit of Northern Soul is still going strong today."

"Topman Design has generated a collection perfect for introducing a new generation to the ever-cool Northern Soul culture. So for spring summer 2016 prepare to bust a move on Topman’s Northern Soul Train."

https://www.dazeddigital.com/fashion/article/25076/1/how-northern-soul-sparked-a-fashion-revolution

Right On Now.

The same article suggests another up an coming look.

fashion.thumb.JPG.ec3b8dec94afbce3c744d9

Maybe they're expecting a late 70s period Mecca revival too...

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Has someone twatted him with Christmas decoration I wonder ?

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Yes, it's certainly brought it to the attention of those looking for the next big thing, including the Topman designers.  They say fashions go around in circles, and it looks like the 70's are under the spotlight at the moment.  Most of us wouldn't be seen dead in some of the stuff we wore back then, and it'll be amusing if today's youth adopt the look.  What they parade on the catwalk and what makes it onto the high street are two different things.

Do you still punch the air between records and shout out"Right on", as the article says we all did back then Steve? I just punch the air and shout"Bastrad", when I drop and smash a cup in the kitchen or when spilling something on my carpet, if its something really valueble I break I have been know to punch the air and shout"F.ck that ya bastard".

Do you still punch the air between records and shout out"Right on", as the article says we all did back then Steve? I just punch the air and shout"Bastrd", when I drop and smash a cup in the kitchen or when spilling something on my carpet, if its something really valueble I break I have been know to punch the air and shout"F.ck that ya bastard".

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Do you still punch the air between records and shout out"Right on", as the article says we all did back then Steve? I just punch the air and shout"Bastrad", when I drop and smash a cup in the kitchen or when spilling something on my carpet, if its something really valueble I break I have been know to punch the air and shout"F.ck that ya bastard".

Did til a couple of years ago, but had to give it up because of the arthritis.  I do politely applaud if I like a record.  You wonder where these journalists get their information.  Probably interviewing somebody who decided to take the piss, and because the journo didn't know any better, he took it as gospel.  Your average all nighter back then must have been like a cross between a martial arts tournament, a Black Panther rally and a clown's convention.

Edited by Steve S 60
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Did til a couple of years ago, but had to give it up because of the arthritis.  I do politely applaud if I like a record.  You wonder where these journalists get their information.  Probably interviewing somebody who decided to take the piss, and because the journo didn't know any better, he took it as gospel.  Your average all nighter back then must have been like a cross between a martial arts tournament, a Black Panther rally and a clown's convention.

Ha ha ! how true,what sort of image do these writers conjure up in the minds of folk who know nothing about the scene.Just think of young uns reading the article and thinking I will go and give it a try,getting kitted out at topman getting in a nighter,straight on the floor having studied the "Dance steps" on you tube and when each record finishes punching the air! and shoutinmg out"Right On",even better a group of them all going together and doing it in unison,HA HA . Destination Unknown! Right on ,Right on??????????

Thank you Steve for a happy start to the day! It put me in better humour than any amount of shredded wheat could. O by the way that reminds me at Keele nighter the other week we got there early and in the car park folk were taking photos of the lad who did the cereal advert,me and my mate Mark overheard someone say to his mate ",Ere look theres that bloke did the advert on the telly,lets go and get our photo taken with him!", I dont know the price of fame intruding into your private life ey!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Ha ha ! how true,what sort of image do these writers conjure up in the minds of folk who know nothing about the scene.Just think of young uns reading the article and thinking I will go and give it a try,getting kitted out at topman getting in a nighter,straight on the floor having studied the "Dance steps" on you tube and when each record finishes punching the air! and shoutinmg out"Right On",even better a group of them all going together and doing it in unison,HA HA . Destination Unknown! Right on ,Right on??????????

Thank you Steve for a happy start to the day! It put me in better humour than any amount of shredded wheat could. O by the way that reminds me at Keele nighter the other week we got there early and in the car park folk were taking photos of the lad who did the cereal advert,me and my mate Mark overheard someone say to his mate ",Ere look theres that bloke did the advert on the telly,lets go and get our photo taken with him!", I dont know the price of fame intruding into your private life ey!

Nice one Manus.  I wonder if anyone has asked him to sign their cereal box yet?  Imagine looking down the row of autograph hunters and seeing someone with a variety pack?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice one Manus.  I wonder if anyone has asked him to sign their cereal box yet?  Imagine looking down the row of autograph hunters and seeing someone with a variety pack?

I'm thinking of selling Fruit Loops outside of all nighters.10 for a quid. Blueys at 10 for £5 though.

Fruit-Loops-3.jpg

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Convulsions ,I am off out mow,once more cheers mate

Most of the Fruit Loops are already in the nighter

I want the black liquorice torpedo ones, now stop hoarding them get the bag out  and give me ten of them1

Social source share

We used to cheer in the 60s at Butlins when someone smashed a plate in the restaurant. Wonder if the same thing happens at the Russ Big Top Bonanza...my guess is that it's all plastic now lol :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!