Steve S 60

Tipping

So a recent survey says that us Brits are among the worst tippers when abroad.  Probably something to do with the feeling you've already been ripped by the time the bill arrives.  If a waiter expects a decent tip, they should provide a decent service.  Don't have a problem tipping in the States, as the service is normally good, but some of these Continentals just expect it, regardless of whether they've earned it or not.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britons-just-behind-french-tourists-as-worst-tippers/ar-BBlEUbu?ocid=spartandhp

So a recent survey says that us Brits are among the worst tippers when abroad.  Probably something to do with the feeling you've already been ripped by the time the bill arrives.  If a waiter expects a decent tip, they should provide a decent service.  Don't have a problem tipping in the States, as the service is normally good, but some of these Continentals just expect it, regardless of whether they've earned it or not.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/britons-just-behind-french-tourists-as-worst-tippers/ar-BBlEUbu?ocid=spartandhp

I do and feel the same way as you Steve, in the States the manners of shop/restaurant workers is great, even the cab drivers, always gave tips over there, as for some places in europe they are more of the couldn't give a shit attitude, not them all I know, but a lot of them are from my experience.

:( 

Because of my strange diet I tend not to eat out often, but I do notice that the prices have all gone up with it being peak season, another reason not to tip.  Where I have managed to persuade the restaurants that I don't eat meat or fish or dairy products and have still been greeted as though I wasn't alien the service has been very good.

Service in America is excellent especially for those of retirement age upwards known as seniors, compared to the UK .well we come out looking bad overall as far as service is concerned.I do tend to leave a tip if out for a meal if the service has been good otherwise if its"Slam snuffle and off till the next course for a repeated slam of the plate etc then no tip other than the dont stand up in a canoe,dont ea.....well the first one maybe I dont care if they eat yellow snow after serving me  the way they did.Taxi drivers I always tend to give a tip  apart from ones where my attempts at conversation are met with grunts and hostility vibes radiating towards me from the back of the drivers head.Most drivers though are happy to engage in all types of conversation in a good humoured manner so to my mind this deserves a tip  as they have added something to the journey.One other place I give a tip is to my barber,I always use the same one,they are very cheap as far as comparison with others in the area and in my view do a good service I would have to pay at least double to  have the same type of haircut  elsewhere in town.

So I dont have a problem tipping when I think it is deserved but no matter where, be it on the continent,America,here at home , if I think they havent deserved it then they will get a mighty big "Sweet Ol  F A", from me.Then when as you pay the bill including that mighty big,"Sweet Ol....", and you see that jaundiced look of malice in their eye as they regard it then you, well  sure as sure you know in your heart of hearts that you did right and were perfectly fair as a mighty big,"Sweet Ol F A", was what they earnt and what they deserved.

Edited by manusf3a

I dont mind tipping for a service well done. Always tip london taxi drivers. 

Was recently in jamie Olivers restaurant in york. Six of us for a meal and drinks. When the bill arrived they had automatically added a gratitude of £16 . i asked if this was compulsary,was told no so refused to pay the £16 and gave our waitress a £5er. she was happy and so was we. no way was we paying £16 tip.

Dave

I dont mind tipping for a service well done. Always tip london taxi drivers. 

Was recently in jamie Olivers restaurant in york. Six of us for a meal and drinks. When the bill arrived they had automatically added a gratitude of £16 . i asked if this was compulsary,was told no so refused to pay the £16 and gave our waitress a £5er. she was happy and so was we. no way was we paying £16 tip.

Dave

Does he not pay his staff?  I'm not a fan of the celebrity chef, nouvelle cuisine or the Masterchef type stuff that has been drip fed to the masses for years, I'd be more impressed if they did something akin to wartime fare with wartime ingredients and wartime conditions, especially if under fire or during a bombing raid, now that's entertainment, and I'd be more than likely to tip.

Does he not pay his staff?  I'm not a fan of the celebrity chef, nouvelle cuisine or the Masterchef type stuff that has been drip fed to the masses for years, I'd be more impressed if they did something akin to wartime fare with wartime ingredients and wartime conditions, especially if under fire or during a bombing raid, now that's entertainment, and I'd be more than likely to tip.

Give them a few coupons out of your ration book, Dave.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.