Allnighters - 2015 - End at

Mike

will try this again as last time tried got almost  f a response

allnighters finish at...

according to some promoters via the event guide they finish at

3:30 am, 4am, 5am, 6am and so on

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/calendar/8-allnighters/

On here we do give allnighters their own sections in the event guide and so we do need to reflect  what the current real world score/view is...

We did have a 6am time but the amount posted not hitting that qualification is ever increasing

so the question is 

what is an allnighter as far as the event guide is concerned

a. should we leave it to the promoters on what is an allnighter ?

b. have a laid down finish time  ?

c. if b what time ?

d other suggestions

note this question  is for all members involved with allnighters 

be it  promoters, djs,  cheerleaders and of course the main people - the attendees

as always your assistance is appreciated

thanks

mike

Edited by mike
Social source share

Perhaps slightly off topic but should you set a time criteria for only one type of event though?.  Whilst I don't disagree, 6am earliest finish for a 'Allnighter'  what is the start time for an 'Alldayer'?.  Just seen an advert for an all dayer, 6pm to 2am,  isn't that an early start soul night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Perhaps slightly off topic but should you set a time criteria for only one type of event though?.  Whilst I don't disagree, 6am earliest finish for a 'Allnighter'  what is the start time for an 'Alldayer'?.  Just seen an advert for an all dayer, 6pm to 2am,  isn't that an early start soul night.

that's a half dayer :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Six o clock absolute earliest finish to be called an all nighter,Eight o ,o,clock in the morning would be my favoured time for a nighter to close.Pesonaly if I saw a poster,flyer whatever advertising an"All-Nighter", as ending at four  or anywhere other than six  or later my mind automatically crosses out All nighter and replaces with the word "Soul night".Years ago while working Bricklaying on one job we were working alongside a gang of geordies  who lived in digs here in Peterborough and went home at weekends.They used to joke about bits of rough work saying it was done by  "Them few weeks at a skill centre   lads", as opposed to "Proper bricklayers ie ones who had a significant amount of training,time served experience etc.The other type of bricklayer who was skill centre trained they called ,"Die-looties mon",as in diluted orange juice,watered down version of the real thing.When I see advertised "All Nighter four o clock finish",my thoughts are ,"Its a Die-lootie Neeter mon".

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

more look at it the more complicated it gets

such as is we do get some 'promoters' who don't add the timings

then there's non-uk events, one off time restrictions, how solid should the line if any be and so on

anyway thanks for all the views so far, will keep pulling teeth till after the weekend

any one else want to add their view?

Social source share

more look at it the more complicated it gets

such as is we do get some 'promoters' who don't add the timings

then there's non-uk events, one off time restrictions, how solid should the line if any be and so on

anyway thanks for all the views so far, will keep pulling teeth till after the weekend

any one else want to add their view?

Mike,

Back in the day of the original allnighters I believe the accepted norm as a finishing time was 8am.Nowadays finishing between 6-8am is the standard.

I don't know what the accepted start time was as hitching down to the Torch from Leeds when the M62 finished at Salford could take anything from 3 to 4 and a half hours, but always was under the impression they started around 11pm.

As someone said earlier that all nighters was a young mans forte and these days we are all feeling our age so not many last past 4-30am.

Mini nighters should be 9/10pm through to 4am.

Times for soul nights are just a lottery imho.

ROY

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never mind early finishes, what about early start times for allnighters? 8.00pm? that's ludicrous.

Why ludicrous?

We start at 8 and they start turning up from 7.30 :-D

I think it's called having a good time for longer (value for money).  :thumbsup:

And as Dave's picture shows it's still busy at 6am.

Edited by Rugby Soul Club
answered wrong post!
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Bearing in mind that not everyone can drive or even has a car, thus having to rely on public transport, added to that some  allnighters these days are nowhere near a railway station & even if they area you have to face a long wait for the first train home. 6am finish or earlier can be quite uncomfortable particularly during the winter months.

just a thought

Mark. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why ludicrous?

We start at 8 and they start turning up from 7.30 :-D

I think it's called having a good time for longer (value for money).  :thumbsup:

And as Dave's picture shows it's still busy at 6am.

10 hours, not for me personally. But then I only went for the music, not the social side.

I used to struggle to find one hours decent music over a whole nighter. :lol:

But I realise that I am the exception to the rule. :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The 100 Club used to be 1.30am - 8.00am. A huge queue to get in, and lots stayed until the finish. Before you knew it, it was 5.00am (the night zoomed by) Starting at Midnight would bring those wonderful long queues back, and being condensed to a shorter time would probably mean a place being full from start to finish.

Those that start early are good for people that don't want to stay until the end, preferring an 'early start early finish'. At least this makes attending worthwhile for these people, although it can add to a place not being very busy towards the end (6 - 8 hours is plenty for most people)

Answer to the thread - An All-nighter has got to be at least a 6.00am finish to qualify.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Punctuation.
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The 100 Club used to be 1.30am - 8.00am. A huge queue to get in, and lots stayed until the finish. Before you knew it, it was 5.00am (the night zoomed by) Starting at Midnight would bring those wonderful long queues back, and being condensed to a shorter time would probably mean a place being full from start to finish.

Those that start early are good for people that don't want to stay until the end, preferring an 'early start early finish'. At least this makes attending worthwhile for these people, although it can add to a place not being very busy towards the end (6 - 8 hours is plenty for most people)

Answer to the thread - An All-nighter has got to be at least a 6.00am finish to qualify.

All the best,

That's the reason I wanted to run my allnighter from 12 till 8 Len. I had been speaking to Guy H about promoting, and he told me a great story about his time running Tony's in Blackburn.

Standing accross the road from the venue having a fag on a frosty night at the witching hour, with a huge queue outside the venue. The excitement and the anticipation when the opening bars of a tune suddenly came from the room above. The crowd started to chant to be let in. Pure magic from Mr. H, and that's what I was hoping to achieve with my allnighter.

It should be about the quality of the experience, not a marathon to be endured. Just my humble opinion, and as an old git who doesn't do drugs or drink. Short and sweet would suit me sir.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

At least 6am minumum.....BTW 12.00 - 8.00....LETS F*CKIN DO IT....there will be a venue some where happy to do it & yes, I've heard all the reasons why venues would rather open early etc, but there will DEFFO be a venue some where that will carry on after the 'normals' have left, its was done in the past loads of times, for the venue they get the best of both worlds, normal club night/disco, then us nutters say 2am (or whatever) onwards....TBH I dont want the folk who just wanna go early, get pissed & leave early, I want the hard core nighter folk, who wanna get in avenue & BOOM !!!.....full on all night until sun uppers... I also think that the journey there & the waiting around or stopping of at a Soul Night on the way is part of the fun....

On the practical side for me personally, if its a later start, I can spend the evening with my family before setting off for our shenanigans...

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

The trouble is Russ the so called normals don't go home at midnight, it's 3,3 or even 4 am nowadays and the club owner makes moe money and pays less staff wages than he or she would for a nighter. Plus they are tucked up earlier. The hard core nighter folk are a dwindling and fickle bunch at best but the reality is as Phil says we are getting old, have little free time after work and family 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

At least 6am minumum.....BTW 12.00 - 8.00....LETS F*CKIN DO IT....there will be a venue some where happy to do it & yes, I've heard all the reasons why venues would rather open early etc, but there will DEFFO be a venue some where that will carry on after the 'normals' have left, its was done in the past loads of times, for the venue they get the best of both worlds, normal club night/disco, then us nutters say 2am (or whatever) onwards....TBH I dont want the folk who just wanna go early, get pissed & leave early, I want the hard core nighter folk, who wanna get in avenue & BOOM !!!.....full on all night until sun uppers... I also think that the journey there & the waiting around or stopping of at a Soul Night on the way is part of the fun....

On the practical side for me personally, if its a later start, I can spend the evening with my family before setting off for our shenanigans...

Best Russ

Exactly mate - The only All-night I ran was The Millennium one (See link below) Lots spent the evening / midnight bit with family or 'normal' friends first. This All-nighter ran from 1.30am - 8.30am. It was really exciting everyone turning up bang on 1.30am 'itching' to get in, and most (if not everyone) was there right until the end..........Then lots came round me and Nina's house, but that's another story (Matt and Jane / her sister, Rob, Sam, Ian, etc etc etc) Happy days :wink:

All the best,

The Millennium All-Nighter.pdf

Edited by LEN
Punctuation
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Exactly mate - The only All-night I ran was The Millennium one (See link below) Lots spent the evening / midnight bit with family or 'normal' friends first. This All-nighter ran from 1.30am - 8.30am. It was really exciting everyone turning up bang on 1.30am 'itching' to get in, and most (if not everyone) was there right until the end..........Then lots came round me and Nina's house, but that's another story (Matt and Jane / her sister, Rob, Sam, Ian, etc etc etc) Happy days :wink:

All the best,

The Millennium All-Nighter.pdf

Agree with both Len and Russ, something special about milling around outside a nighter that was waiting to open around 1 till 2 and will finish at 8 in the morning as these days it can at times seem as if its two different things  soul night and nighter.I dont think its a matter of how old people are either, you either prefer a soul night few drinks and tucked up in a hotel bed or at home by not long after three or you want the dynamic that comes from a nighter crowd,nighter meaning from midnight to eight approx,lots of soul night folk granted may stay away but look how many soul nights there are these days they could go to instead ,no matter what the focus up front or  otherwise I believe that nighters that did open later and close later would soon attract a largish regular following.From what I see its not just the "younger crowd",as it is put over as but many much older folk who are there at the end still dancing,verballing and full of well "Zest", at the end ready to carry on verballing listening to choons etc, it is just part of "The nighter thing", that nighter people have and go for!Its that thing that made the four o clock feeling of the hitting the top and really starting to buzz as the floor is  filled and carrying on like that till the lights go on,to me the time you would hear the best choons and you think to yourself ,"F..k",that has gone quick ,meaning the time!The time being then eight in the morning!

Like you say Len ,"People itching to get in ,in early days discotrons playing  choons here and there ,a few tape recordings on the go of what we all thought were dodgy then recorded sets on low quality tape but having crowd noises on them as well,that seem popular these days.later times better recordings with no distortion".Another point about everyone turning up just before opening (Well nearly everyone",)and seeing how quickly the place went from empty to all (nearly all)present and ready to go as the first records hit the decks instead of what if you go at opening time can be a slow trickle over hours till a crowd builds up.I have been to nighters since coming back to the scene  that have had the elements there and I really enjoyed ,enjoyed myself at, I just think with a change in opening times to after midnight to eight they would soon become even better.It is like life itself multi level multi perspective as regards what elements including that  which  makes up the psyches of people that makes a great,unmissable experience that you cant get elsewhere feeling after you have been somewhere and for me that ,"Good,Good Feeling",would be helped by a change in opening and closing times.

No matter what anyone may say it feels good to be part of something a bit different and ,well just miles better than the norm, I wont listen to any bleatings of "Oh I wouldn't look down on others",because it felt good to be queing up as has been said by Russ and Len at 12,30 one o clock, etc buzzing with the "zest",of life all your mates from round about the country(well some of them the more the better) full of anticipation and your attention is caught by the pub and club throw out  and slither through the door,staggering along, some of the more artistic of them doing technicolour pavement art with the evenings stomach contents.the odd fist fight or two as pissheads swing at their best mates.You look at the drunken masses from where you stand and it feels good,we dont even share the same hours of recreation with "Them,we are the people of the night", listen to the pleas promoters and like a time lord once more put the barrier of time between Us and Them,later openings and no drunks,if theres moanings from venues about "Money from the bar,blah ,bah", get thinking in terms of what Bletsoe was, put something on in a barn on a farmers land somewhere but still open late,and close late to go with it.

To conclude  Stop a  four o clock or anything earlier finishing than six soul night claiming nighter status,stick with calling them soul nights,It sound far better than  a "Di Loo Tee Neeter".

ps I have never voted in my life and intend never to do so in political elections,However I have never been and never will be an "Abstainer!".

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Guest easyee

In my experience most people at all nighters start to leave around 4ish anyway apart from the die hards so when something is advertised as a mini all nighters I would assume it doesn't go on until 6am or 8am as they used to. To call it a soul night I would assume it would finish no later then 2am. The mini nighter in Plymouth this Saturday is an 8pm -4am finish previously it was 10pm - 6am same amount of hours but it was clear that not many wanted to stay unti 6am so an earlier finish was decided but 8 hours of soul music hasn't been compromised so win win. I also know that all those attending will have a damn good time and won't go away feeling that they've been robbed of two hours. I've even seen the Kings Hall empty out about 4-5ish but do all those punters who leave say they went to an all nighter or a soul night and do they really care. Looks like this is just another example of the soul police making a fuss over nothing.

Social source share

I think we would all like the "specialness" of the midnight to eight a.m. allnighter, because that's a "proper" allnighter. And the romance of that appeals to my romantic nature.

But don't forget that in the old days there was no alcohol involved. How many would turn up these days for a midnight to eight a.m. nighter with just soft drinks?

We can't turn back the clocks. It's Sunday afternoon tea dances from now on. :lol:

I still think that an 8 pm start time is just too "normal" for a nighter though. :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In my experience most people at all nighters start to leave around 4ish anyway apart from the die hards so when something is advertised as a mini all nighters I would assume it doesn't go on until 6am or 8am as they used to. To call it a soul night I would assume it would finish no later then 2am. The mini nighter in Plymouth this Saturday is an 8pm -4am finish previously it was 10pm - 6am same amount of hours but it was clear that not many wanted to stay unti 6am so an earlier finish was decided but 8 hours of soul music hasn't been compromised so win win. I also know that all those attending will have a damn good time and won't go away feeling that they've been robbed of two hours. I've even seen the Kings Hall empty out about 4-5ish but do all those punters who leave say they went to an all nighter or a soul night and do they really care. Looks like this is just another example of the soul police making a fuss over nothing.

I don't think anyone is making a fuss about it, if you see some as 'soul police' for simply relaying the magic that once was, leaving home at midnight when everyone else in the world was going to bed - Well I say up the Soul Police! :wink:

It was magical, and that bit has disappeared because of the early starting times. But as Phil says, times have changed - What you say in the rest of your post is right for nowadays.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Missed word
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

nah no fuss, no soul police jibe needed, its just people passing on their views

here's the what and why I started the thread...

On here we do give allnighters their own sections in the event guide and so we do need to reflect  what the current real world score/view is...

We did have a 6am time but the amount posted not hitting that qualification is ever increasing

so the question is 

what is an allnighter as far as the event guide is concerned

a. should we leave it to the promoters on what is an allnighter ?

b. have a laid down finish time  ?

c. if b what time ?

d other suggestions

note this question  is for all members involved with allnighters 

be it  promoters, djs,  cheerleaders and of course the main people - the attendees

as always your assistance is appreciated

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest easyee

This for me would be the definitive and is clear enough to be understood by anyone looking at an event and what their understanding of it is

soul night

all nighter

mini all nighter

weekender

all dayer 

However I have see a comment elsewhere on another forum saying there is no such thing as a mini all nighter well times have changed and I'm going to one on Saturday : )

Social source share

But don't forget that in the old days there was no alcohol involved. How many would turn up these days for a midnight to eight a.m. nighter with just soft drinks?

I'd love it and would still go.

Don't drink and never have drank at an allniter. I go to dance but maybe like you, I'm odd :lol:

Still making me laugh - mini allniter - I was the one who said "no such thing"  - allniter by definition must be allnite. IMO :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd love it and would still go.

Don't drink and never have drank at an allniter. I go to dance but maybe like you, I'm odd :lol:

Still making me laugh - mini allniter - I was the one who said "no such thing"  - allniter by definition must be allnite. IMO :wink:

Sian. I'm with you all the way. Who needs a bar. When your a fully paid up member of the wide awake club :shhh:

Steve

Social source share

ok thanks for all the views, time and effort taken appreciated

as far as the guide is concerned rather than apply strict rules with cut off timings etc etc

feel may work better if leave it to the actual promoters to call what they class their events as and so what section to add

if people play the game then shouldnt be no hassle in theory

will see how things go...

Edited by mike
Social source share

I think we would all like the "specialness" of the midnight to eight a.m. allnighter, because that's a "proper" allnighter. And the romance of that appeals to my romantic nature.

We can't turn back the clocks. It's Sunday afternoon tea dances from now on. :lol:

I still think that an 8 pm start time is just too "normal" for a nighter though. :wicked:

ME....absolutely without a doubt, very rarely drink at Nighters....whats the point ?...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This for me would be the definitive and is clear enough to be understood by anyone looking at an event and what their understanding of it is

soul night

all nighter

mini all nighter

weekender

all dayer 

However I have see a comment elsewhere on another forum saying there is no such thing as a mini all nighter well times have changed and I'm going to one on Saturday : )

There are often reports of mini tornadoes in this country much to the chagrin of the weather commmunity who cite 'either it's a f*cking tornado or it isn't.' Perhaps the same applies to all nighters. However, if I see 'mini all nighter' then I know it's shorthand for a 4 am finish.  Perhaps mini nighter would be a better term. :) Also, if it gets light at 4am as it does in  June/July  then technically, that's the end of the night. :wink:

Edited by Maark
Social source share

Right, this is only my opinion before I get shot down.

I went to an allniter on Sat that finished at 8am. I didn't get there until 1am, so pretty much in the old ethos.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and stayed right til the end (last spot alone was worth that) but the light was coming in thru the windows in the last couple of hours and I'm well known for preferring it dark.

I recon unless it's like Oddfellows (no windows), 8am is too late a finish.

Also, I wanted to stop at the services but with a 2 hr plus drive home and real life awaiting when I got there, we didn't get home until nearly 11am.

So, I think the 6am finish suits better now-a-days.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!