Uncovering Cover-ups

Guest ShaneH

being a nipper on the scene i was not around when set lists were full of cover-ups. i am fully aware that lots of the great records we all love now were cover-ups to begin with.

i would like to hear some stories of great records being 'un-covered' with details of who and when and how etc. Was it the done thing to un-cover songs or would you contact the person playing the cover up first?

anyone got any stories?

cheers

Shane

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

didnt uncover it..

john manship played a female named..circulate..

john said it was a world exclusive..

i cracked it within 10 seconds..

there was a very good reason why it sounded like billy paul..

as for johns rescue me cover up..i never did uncover that,even though i did get myself a copy

8=)

bless

jc

the messiah of northern soul

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

didnt uncover it..

as for johns rescue me cover up..i never did uncover that,even though i did get myself a copy

8=)

bless

jc

Ha ha, yes played at the wrong speed..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

didnt uncover it..

8=)

bless

jc

Ann Perry cover up. Played at the wrong speed :thumbsup:

Social source share

Shane, Don't know if you remember this, or if content is of interest to you; >C/U thread 15/11/05< :thumbsup:

Yep! just re-read the old cover up thread, and Ged Parker & Chalky put it to bed perfectly last time out. I.M.H.O. :D

If you play a great tune that's unknown, you will get other DJ's rushing up to the stage to look at the label, and demanding to see it. That's a fact. It happens everytime. In fact I do it myself. :D

Long live the C/U, and long live the rare soul scene. yes.gif

Phil.

Social source share

Yep! just re-read the old cover up thread, and Ged Parker & Chalky put it to bed perfectly last time out. I.M.H.O. :D

If you play a great tune that's unknown, you will get other DJ's rushing up to the stage to look at the label, and demanding to see it. That's a fact. It happens everytime. In fact I do it myself. :D

Long live the C/U, and long live the rare soul scene. :D

Phil.

Yep I think you're spot on with that post Phil. :thumbsup:Hell, I even like the bold writing. shhh.gif

Social source share

phil seems confused by the original question in my post.

i have added the important paragraph again below...

i would like to hear some stories of great records being 'un-covered' with details of who and when and how etc. Was it the done thing to un-cover songs or would you contact the person playing the cover up first?

anyone got any stories regarding the 'uncovering' of the big tunes?

cheers

Shane

Social source share

phil seems confused by the original question in my post.

i have added the important paragraph again below...

anyone got any stories regarding the 'uncovering' of the big tunes?

cheers

Shane

Aye, you're right Shane, apologies for that. I do know the identity of a few cover up's, but I would never let them out of the bag. I'm just grateful that there are still people who are willing to spend endless hours, and endless amounts of money in search of more hidden treasures. All power to them. Without them there would be no scene left.

Social source share

being a nipper on the scene i was not around when set lists were full of cover-ups. i am fully aware that lots of the great records we all love now were cover-ups to begin with.

anyone got any stories?

cheers

Shane

:thumbsup: Remeber searling raving about an acetate he'd just got ,right at the start of stafford,def one off,played it out first time as eddie holman and my mate Duncan Kay from halifax telling him after his spot "i got two of that phonetics thing off Dave Raistrick about 6 months ago £2 each :lol: His expression was priceless :thumbsup:

Social source share

I remember being stood talking to Ady Harley at Stafford when Keb came on shouting dance ya basss .... LOU PRIDE.....'THRICE'...ya bassss.. (Hayes Cotton - Black Wings)..

Ady turned round to me and said.... "I'm sure i've got this at home somewhere... it's bollocks!"

Top lad Ady.... but God didn't you just hate him when he did that!!

Pretty sure he swapped it a couple of weeks later... can't remember what he got for it.... think the Shufflers might have been one... not 100% though..

Social source share

I remember being stood talking to Ady Harley at Stafford when Keb came on shouting dance ya basss .... LOU PRIDE.....'THRICE'...ya bassss.. (Hayes Cotton - Black Wings)..

Ady turned round to me and said.... "I'm sure i've got this at home somewhere... it's bollocks!"

Top lad Ady.... but God didn't you just hate him when he did that!!

Pretty sure he swapped it a couple of weeks later... can't remember what he got for it.... think the Shufflers might have been one... not 100% though..

indeed a top lad ,remamber him getting a larry laster for a fiver off a big list,when it was massive(yorkshire git,had a baby face and manships buisness sense)Is he in oz now Joan?
Social source share

indeed a top lad ,remamber him getting a larry laster for a fiver off a big list,when it was massive(yorkshire git,had a baby face and manships buisness sense)Is he in oz now Joan?

Yes... he was over in Manchester a couple of months ago for Alan Darkers wedding.. didn't see him though.

Did see him at the Stafford reunion though... hasn't changed a bit... TOP LAD!! :thumbsup:

Ady's one of the people i should thank... or is that curse... for sealing my fate on the soul scene. It was one of his tapes that started me on this road i'm still on today!!

Funny enough.... Larry Laster was on that tape!!

Social source share

Yes... he was over in Manchester a couple of months ago for Alan Darkers wedding.. didn't see him though.

Did see him at the Stafford reunion though... hasn't changed a bit... TOP LAD!! :thumbsup:

Ady's one of the people i should thank... or is that curse... for sealing my fate on the soul scene. It was one of his tapes that started me on this road i'm still on today!!

Funny enough.... Larry Laster was on that tape!!

remember buying my oracles offButch at stafford,when gary still had it covered(£25!)and asking "do i have to keep it covered" "do what the f*** you want with it ,you just paid for it ,i've got another two" and later covering "love in my heart" as the ambassadors myself and nobody twigged :thumbsup:
Social source share

have an email address for Ady if you think he'd like a hello from you :thumbsup:

Social source share

a nice little account of the uncovering of one of the most famous JA cover ups, must have been in the late 50s when Prince Buster worked for Coxsone...

(from https://www.bluejuice.org.au/subpage12.html)

Prince Buster recounts a story from the days when he was a deputy-operator for Coxsone Dodd. The tale centres around a record that was the signature tune of Coxsone's 'Downbeat' sound system. With the label scratched off, only Dodd's men knew its true title of the track. Rival DJs, including Duke Reid, had tried for years to locate the song in the States. One day, Reid walked up to Buster in the street and said simply "Later For Gator": "I told Coxsone that Duke have the tune and him say, 'No'. Duke played out that night and we went to listen to him, and when Duke put out the tune, Coxsone pass out."
Social source share

Ann Perry cover up. Played at the wrong speed :thumbsup:

It's Billy Paul "Let the dollar circulate" PIR which came out on a 33rpm EP called Philly Freebie, also on an album.

A mate of mine played it out the other week at a bar we DJ at in Manchester. Must say it sounded great well worth digging out if you like 70s philly.

The best uncovering of a cover up was carried out inadvertingly by Alexis Korner on his Sunday night radio one show, around 1981.

Richard Searling was playing a record under the cover of "taking a chance" by Williams and Watson. This was an uptempo 60s record or sounded like one.

The Alexis Korner show was on Sunday nights from I think about 7pm. This was essential listening for me. Alexis played blues based music which incorpatated soul and funk. I think it was about the second record into his show when on comes the said Williams and Watson tune. Needless to say I stirred from my post allnighter inertia and waited with interest for Alexis to annouce who the track was by.

It was of course the Lamont Cracktone Band and was a relatively new release by a white blues band. Got the album somewhere, it also came out on a 45. I suspect this would sound pony now. I liked it at the time but to be honest Alexis Korner played alot better reocords that night on his show.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Baz, I found Mr. Soul in a shop in Baltimore late 80's/beginning of 90's when it was still covered as Maurice McAllister. Just in a pile of 45s that looked interesting. Think Brownie bought it off me. I obviously told everybody I knew.

I don't remember Richard having Phoenetics on an acetate as Dave Withers and I played it first at Stafford. Got that and Monique from a mate in LA. Think we covered Monique up but can't remember about Phoenetics.

ROD

Social source share

Baz, I found Mr. Soul in a shop in Baltimore late 80's/beginning of 90's when it was still covered as Maurice McAllister. Just in a pile of 45s that looked interesting. Think Brownie bought it off me. I obviously told everybody I knew.

I don't remember Richard having Phoenetics on an acetate as Dave Withers and I played it first at Stafford. Got that and Monique from a mate in LA. Think we covered Monique up but can't remember about Phoenetics.

ROD

remember moniquie being covered as martha starr can also remember when keb first played roy hamilton " you shook me up " as milt grayson at notts palias and i was buying the said record that very moment went up to him said just played this aint you his face was priceless . at stafford i sold cairos to keb as id had it since 79 and it just would'nt take of had it covered as the precisions lent it keb to play guy came running up to se what it was and a bidding war began on the stage at stafford the rest is history
Social source share

I know we have discussed this before, but what right has anyone, for any reason, to cover up a record and keep it covered up?

Its our music, performed by the Artist to be heard. Not for selfish DJs who want to protect the rarity of a record for their own, eventual, personal gain or reasons.

No matter what anyone says, you won't convince me this is right.

Social source share

ROD

Thanks Rod, bet it was at the time like stricking gold? must have been some adrenalin rush when you put it on the player and "Maurice McAllister" started to come out the speakers

So when did the Al Scott's come about? who found that?

Social source share

It's Billy Paul "Let the dollar circulate" PIR which came out on a 33rpm EP called Philly Freebie, also on an album.

A mate of mine played it out the other week at a bar we DJ at in Manchester. Must say it sounded great well worth digging out if you like 70s philly.

The best uncovering of a cover up was carried out inadvertingly by Alexis Korner on his Sunday night radio one show, around 1981.

Richard Searling was playing a record under the cover of "taking a chance" by Williams and Watson. This was an uptempo 60s record or sounded like one.

The Alexis Korner show was on Sunday nights from I think about 7pm. This was essential listening for me. Alexis played blues based music which incorpatated soul and funk. I think it was about the second record into his show when on comes the said Williams and Watson tune. Needless to say I stirred from my post allnighter inertia and waited with interest for Alexis to annouce who the track was by.

It was of course the Lamont Cracktone Band and was a relatively new release by a white blues band. Got the album somewhere, it also came out on a 45. I suspect this would sound pony now. I liked it at the time but to be honest Alexis Korner played alot better reocords that night on his show.

Regards Alan

!!!!!!!!!!!!????

Alexis Korner from the Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated?? :wicked: Wooow hehe :wicked:

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

I know we have discussed this before, but what right has anyone, for any reason, to cover up a record and keep it covered up?

Its our music, performed by the Artist to be heard. Not for selfish DJs who want to protect the rarity of a record for their own, eventual, personal gain or reasons.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wicked: .

Russ

Social source share

Regards Alan

The Lamont Cranston Band - top record and did come out on LP and the 45 was also available in a pic sleeve - rememeber when this fetched big bucks but relatively cheap these days. the most 60's sounding 70's record (apart from JC Messina - but that's another debate!!!! :wicked: ) I've ever heard. :wicked:

Social source share

Thanks Rod, bet it was at the time like stricking gold? must have been some adrenalin rush when you put it on the player and "Maurice McAllister" started to come out the speakers

So when did the Al Scott's come about? who found that?

Actually Baz at the time the scene appeared to be in the doldrums so it wasn't a real big deal like it would be today even though more copies have turned up since.

I also heard it on a small portable player so it wasn't like hearing it at Wigan ten years previously over the speakers. I just thought I've heard that before, what is it? Took me a couple of minutes to click as I was only half-listening as I looked through 45s.

I think Martin Koppell found the Al Scott somewhere in NY.

ROD

Social source share

Have always considered cover ups a fairly succesful ploy in keeeping the bootlegers at bay.I know there are exceptions to the rule (Frank Wilson/Eddie Foster for example),but hey its always been a bit of fun trying to guess the true identity as well.There are very few if any (?) records that have never been un-covered eventually-So no harm done.

Social source share

Have always considered cover ups a fairly succesful ploy in keeeping the bootlegers at bay.I know there are exceptions to the rule (Frank Wilson/Eddie Foster for example),but hey its always been a bit of fun trying to guess the true identity as well.There are very few if any (?) records that have never been un-covered eventually-So no harm done.

Took the words right out of my mouth Martyn, just about to post a similar reply.

Why shouldn't the DJ who after putting time, money and effort into discovering the record be able to have the exclusiveness of it in their playlist, keeping it to him/her self by covering it.

Up to other's then to put their own time and effort into finding another copy, part of the fun is the guessing and searching till it is uncovered - surely :wicked:

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Why does a cover up have to be rare????????? lots of records are simply covered up because they are not RARE simple, if it's a real rarity, no need is there. :wicked::wicked::yes:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!