Hands up who missed this?

Tattoodave

hi dave, brilliant digging on ebay ...great to see an absolute bargain can be got still !!!!....i hope you have the 45 in your hands though as i bet the seller got some post auction emails !!!!! ..."nitty gritty city" the side for me .....stopped me in my tracks when i heard Butch play it at the 100 club once many moons ago !!!!

cheers

franc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

hi dave, brilliant digging on ebay ...great to see an absolute bargain can be got still !!!!....i hope you have the 45 in your hands though as i bet the seller got some post auction emails !!!!! ..."nitty gritty city" the side for me .....stopped me in my tracks when i heard Butch play it at the 100 club once many moons ago !!!!

cheers

franc

I, hopefully, cynically thought similar after posting it on here, I'm assured it's in the post, though I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get it.  My bid was $1599.99 and I hoped to get it for that.  He had it listed as Rock, though had a couple of tracks listed as Northern in his other items.

Social source share

I, hopefully, cynically thought similar after posting it on here, I'm assured it's in the post, though I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get it.  My bid was $1599.99 and I hoped to get it for that.  He had it listed as Rock, though had a couple of tracks listed as Northern in his other items.

No point in buying you a pint at the next 100 as a softener,to open negotiations then.?:lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Dave

I thought the winning bid was 26 dollars?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Dave

I thought the winning bid was 26 dollars?

It was Peter, I was the highest bidder, and got it for $26 and pennies, but I bid $1599.99 just to be in with a shout

It was but surely you know now what you did there :g:

Yes Johnny, but I was so fecking chuffed, I needed to share.

No point in buying you a pint at the next 100 as a softener,to open negotiations then.?:lol:

It's not for sale Kev, I collect Dore records

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It was Peter, I was the highest bidder, and got it for $26 and pennies, but I bid $1599.99 just to be in with a shout

Top marks to you Dave.  It's one of the genuine rarest of the rare IMO, great record as well.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Dave I'm chuffed for you mate, I love a good bargain me

Social source share

Thanks Chalky, I've been searching for a decent copy for years, I have a beat up copy at my uncles in Canada, which I may well sell on eventually

That's three known copies, or copies I know of then :thumbsup:

You have to smile when you see a bargain like this and then some fool paying over 800 quid for epitome of Sound :huh:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That's three known copies, or copies I know of then :thumbsup:

You have to smile when you see a bargain like this and then some fool paying over 800 quid for epitome of Sound :huh:

At times I think the world's gone crazy, it's been a long time search for this and I was watching the number of viewers regularly, it only had 39 in the week, so I figured it might not go for what it was worth.  The Epitome of Sound isn't that rare, if at all, but it's all about being patient, sooner or later those that have deep pockets get what they want and when another copy pops up and there's no others desperate to own one then step in with your bid, at least that's how I do it. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At times I think the world's gone crazy, it's been a long time search for this and I was watching the number of viewers regularly, it only had 39 in the week, so I figured it might not go for what it was worth.  The Epitome of Sound isn't that rare, if at all, but it's all about being patient, sooner or later those that have deep pockets get what they want and when another copy pops up and there's no others desperate to own one then step in with your bid, at least that's how I do it. 

absolutely spot on that summary, and it can't be compared to epitome of sound, far rarer. Patience and research, well done!.....good luck to you....Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you offered 200 quid for EOS you'd probably get several offers of a copy.  There is no rhyme or reason to the market right now, totally crazy. You only have to see some current auctions with records I wouldn't even have considered an auction item and far from rare fetching as much as or near to genuinely rare items.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Spot on again chalky.....some of your genuinely rare, lots of people don't know?...I think anyway...that's why sometimes you can pick these kind of things up...got a Paul Smith...I'll run (original...research again) for £38...off e.bay last month...it's got 1 cm unaudible tight crack in.....but for that money I don't mind....plays great....thank you ...Rob

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Think if I'd won a 4 figure 45 for peanuts,I'd wait until it was in my hands before I advertised the fact to half the world ! (Seller could easily have seen your SS blogs, or a vindictive fellow collector may have tipped him off, and offered slightly more) !!  Good luck.

Social source share

Think if I'd won a 4 figure 45 for peanuts,I'd wait until it was in my hands before I advertised the fact to half the world ! (Seller could easily have seen your SS blogs, or a vindictive fellow collector may have tipped him off, and offered slightly more) !!  Good luck.

I already mentioned this earlier, but I have label scans of both sides and I'm prepared to sue if it does go astray and ends up in someone else's collection.

Social source share

I already mentioned this earlier, but I have label scans of both sides and I'm prepared to sue if it does go astray and ends up in someone else's collection.

well done for spotting this one, really get a buzz when you know yourve got a bargain....

and it looks a nice copy, plus ive got the same tiles in my house...not my record tho...lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well done for spotting this one, really get a buzz when you know yourve got a bargain....

and it looks a nice copy, plus ive got the same tiles in my house...not my record tho...lol

Thanks Russ, I've had very little sleep since I won the auction, I've been buzzing like a fecking teenager, it has to be the bargain of the millennia as far as I'm concerned.

Social source share

I thought that, surely someone other than me spotted it for the gem it was, but such small bids?

randoms buying other stuff from his auctions filling up their postal quota, making it more wortwhile. punt for a few dollars maybe

heres hoping seller hasnt had 3 or 4 ask if hes got any more. 

Social source share

randoms buying other stuff from his auctions filling up their postal quota, making it more wortwhile. punt for a few dollars maybe

heres hoping seller hasnt had 3 or 4 ask if hes got any more. 

Strangely the label scans he had on the listing were named something akin to $12, so maybe that's what he paid for it?  I asked if he had a Buy It Now price and was prepared to pay a lot, though I didn't disclose what my offer was, but he said he'd sooner see the auction finish.

Edited by TattooDave
Social source share

I think it's a bit of a girl group collector thing as well in the U.S. and probably has a different value in that market.

its always reminded me a little of the early girl group Motown stuff - but maybe that's just my ears. 

nice find anyway :thumbsup:

But a whole lot rarer!!

Social source share

But a whole lot rarer!!

it's certainly rare over here, but I tend to steer clear of the one copy or two copies type assumptions. There are probably more copies stateside due to the various collecting scenes and as one U.S. dealer said to me "America is a big place". But like I said great find and enjoy it - well done !

Edited by Andy Mac
emoticons
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

it's certainly rare over here, but I tend to steer clear of the one copy or two copies type assumptions. There are probably more copies stateside due to the various collecting scenes and as one U.S. dealer said to me "America is a big place". But like I said great find and enjoy it - well done !

i agreewith you Andy The US is a big place and who know how many copies are out there but the internet has made it a whole lot smaller and I for one never assume there are just one or two copies, only speak of what I know of.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!