High profile auctions - what's the commission

Godzilla

I have sold a few through most of them.

From my experience Darren Brown and Tim Brown charge 15% Johm Manship is 20%. Darren pays the quickest as he funds the sales himslef, the other 2 pay after the buyer has paid which can a week.

All of these people are really knowledgeable and have a lot of contacts all over the world and most important of all have reputations to protect so will not grade up records or mislead buyers or sellers. John Manship seems to me to consitently get the highest prices and he has got me some great results recently but Tim Brown has had some really big records recently and also gets great results, Darren Brown tends not to auction records and set sales mostly so you know what to expect but might miss out on a big price if more than one person really wants the record.

Lets face if you are selling you want the highest possible price and if that means that Darren, John or Tim earn something along the way then is that not better than paying blood ebay!

Just look at recent results for Milton Wright, I Belong to You: ebay Jan 2014 £418. John Manship last week £878.00

Social source share

We take 15% for sales above £200 and 20% below that and pay very quickly and guarantee full confidentiality for both buyer and seller, obviously I'll negotiate more favorable terms on certain discs and quality collection disposals.

I also only ever auction records that should be auctioned to ensure the credibility and integrity of the website. I dont believe in auctioning relatively common records, you will only find rare 45s listed for auction on our site which is fully automated for offers, you can log in and see current prices at any time and you never see items relisted as my site is totally transparent and the price you see is whats been offered.

I'll let others give there opinion on the quality of service they receive as its not good form to do it yourself, but I pride myself on the professionalism of my business and the value we bring to the market place.

Thanks for the references so far

Cheers Darren

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. In the end I stuck with advertising the 45 I had in mind myself. The golden lesson for me was that a lot of folk miss things so it's worth persevering. First time listed not a sniff. Second time sold within an hour and comments about what a hard record it is, wish I'd seen it etc.

Social source share

Auctioned a few bits with dealers.My god it takes ages to get any money back.

Puts me off the idea,over a month the last time and then i had to ask for it.

I mean that is shocking really.  When I auction anything, the second the money comes in, I transfer it to the owner of the record.  I sold one yesterday on someone's behalf for £500, he knows that money will be in his account tonight.  When I sell stuff I charge 50% for £20 and under, 20% up to £1000 and then negotiable after that but it comes down, usually 15% or 17.5%.  

Social source share

I have sold a few through most of them.

From my experience Darren Brown and Tim Brown charge 15% Johm Manship is 20%. Darren pays the quickest as he funds the sales himslef, the other 2 pay after the buyer has paid which can a week.

All of these people are really knowledgeable and have a lot of contacts all over the world and most important of all have reputations to protect so will not grade up records or mislead buyers or sellers. John Manship seems to me to consitently get the highest prices and he has got me some great results recently but Tim Brown has had some really big records recently and also gets great results, Darren Brown tends not to auction records and set sales mostly so you know what to expect but might miss out on a big price if more than one person really wants the record.

Lets face if you are selling you want the highest possible price and if that means that Darren, John or Tim earn something along the way then is that not better than paying blood ebay!

Just look at recent results for Milton Wright, I Belong to You: ebay Jan 2014 £418. John Manship last week £878.00

I sold one for £800 on Sunday for someone.  Took me 5 minutes.  With facebook I was able to advertise it to over 15,000 people.
I also think I auctioned the only unplayed copy of The Del Larks ever to come up for sale, last year.
So please consider me.  LOL.  Or take my advice, sell them yourself then you don't pay anyone commission...

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That was exactly the point I was making. Second time round I sold my 45 for £550 in less than an hour and it was paid for immediately. No commission, no fees and it went to someone who really wanted it. I'm really glad I didn't go down the high profile auction route in the end.

Social source share

That was exactly the point I was making. Second time round I sold my 45 for £550 in less than an hour and it was paid for immediately. No commission, no fees and it went to someone who really wanted it. I'm really glad I didn't go down the high profile auction route in the end.

there are so many avenues you can go down as a seller these days its worth trying yourself first not matter how large or small the price.

we live in a world that is diminishing for the middle man in general

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

A few years ago I got John to auction Barbara Masons 'You better stop it'. It sold for £407! Minus the 15% gave me £346. Even if that 45 had  been in my sales box during the same period for £300 I have a feeling I would have struggled to sell it, and would have probably been called a number of choice names for good measure. He also achieved great prices for me on more modern titles like Cix bits band, Record player, Dolly Gilmore etc. So as others have stated it can be a good way to go, even after the fees. The great thing about all this is you never know what the next piece is that's gonna fetch crazy money.

Social source share

I know a lot of people who won't even bother with a record they really want if it's on one of the big auctions. They think it will go for silly money, so puts them off even bidding. The thing is with a set sale price, it doesn't give potential buyers the time to think about it. You snooze, you lose.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!