Steve S 60

Betting Scam

Return it to them, they`ll have to pay the postage. If I get anything (junk mail) with a franked return envelope I remove my details and send it all back to them including any other crap that`s been posted. Everyone should do it, it would soon put a stop to junk mail.......If I could get a turd in the envelope I would send them that as well.

Return it to them, they`ll have to pay the postage. If I get anything (junk mail) with a franked return envelope I remove my details and send it all back to them including any other crap that`s been posted. Everyone should do it, it would soon put a stop to junk mail.......If I could get a turd in the envelope I would send them that as well.

I checked the address Steve.  It's currently used by Kipling, the handbag people.  The phone number is a Vodafone mobile number, which kind of gives the game away.  Why would a company with a West End address not have a landline?  The scammers have used Conqueror watermarked stationery, presumably to give the appearance of respectability.

This appeared in The Racing Post.....

If we needed a reminder that there are still plenty of fraudsters out there ready to fleece us of our hard earned cash, the tale of the anonymous pensioner who has just lost £40,000 is a reminder to us all to be watchful for scams that promise the earth and deliver nothing.

The Racing Post reports his story today after the retired consultant engineer from Aberdeenshire contacted them to pass on his experience.

He had replied to one of the chain letters that come around so often. This time the mail shot said it was from a Manchester-based company called Broadwater Bloodstock. The wording of the letter was almost identical to those sent out by Stanmore Bloodstock Consultants, All England Racing Club, Westland Park Bloodstock, Emerald Bloodstock Services, Bespoke Horseracing Consultants, Pasture Bloodstock, and Independent Racing Agent. All the above are bogus organisations.

The pensioner called a mobile telephone number listed on the mail shot and subsequently placed a large amount of money in bets on behalf of someone calling himself Dr Peter Yeoman. The returns on these amounted to some £60,000. A courier then collected more than half this sum from him, leaving the man to retain his stake money and some commission.

The man later handed over £40,000 in cash. He was told he would receive twice this amount after it had been used for some bets in Ireland, but the money hasn't been paid to him. And of course the telephone numbers he had been given for Broadwater Bloodstock are no longer in use.

"I feel so stupid having been conned like this, but before I do anything else I wanted the racing fraternity to be on their guard against the same thing happening to them," he said. "I'm sure I will never get my money back, but these people have to be stopped and bringing the scam to public attention is one way of doing that. I like to think I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, but it was so convincing that I fell for it. It is all right being wise after the fact, but £60,000 on the first deal sets it up and obviously if that hadn't happened I wouldn't have anything more to do with them."

All the usual tricks and hooks for the unwary were in place in this case – a business name that sounded as though it had some connection with racing, the promise of winning substantial amounts of money (if you could be that sure we’d all be millionaires by now), and contact only by mobile phone.

I don't doubt that this man is a reasonably intelligent guy – but it's a valuable reminder that if we don't keep our guard up we are all at risk of being conned.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.