Candi Staton original or boot?

Craig W

I have here in front of me Now you've got the upper hand by Candi Staton on Unity.

I've been reading the many topics on this and find it confusing to which is real or a boot.

This has an approx 3/8 of an inch run out groove and has 7-11-A , (PRP-17521) , 161 and a small stylised squiggle etched in the A side run out groove.

can anyone shed any light on it from this info?

Social source share

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info

As I say the run out is approx 3/8 of an inch wide and the boot run out is nearly an inch wide

Now this is what is confusing me

Upon very close inspection It does appear to have a very slight dip around 3 /8 of an inch towards the middle that is very slightly raised

Social source share

Jammy sod Craig :lol:

If you think its original Pete thats a good sign.

Knowing my luck though.

I found a Rolex watch with the original Rudells reciept for £3800.00 in a local house I cleared a few weeks ago.

The reciept was folded up in an empty rifled wallett and the watch was in the bedside cupboard.

Took it to Rudells up Darlington St yesterday and had an expert to look at it. The laughed and told me the reciept was original but the watch was a fake! Work that one out.

Edited by craig W
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

if you can hear the dog barking its an original.............if you cant its a boot...........this was tested by me and Dave Alcock way back  using a boot and an original

That is such rubbish...there is no dog barking, why would a dog be in the studio?  It's a misplayed note.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

image.thumb.jpg.576331660a9774c7e6c48884As far as I'm aware my copy is the boot, but never been 100% sure, the sound on my copy is excellent all the way through and has the same number in the run out groove but can't see the 161 and squiggle. From where the record finishes to the label is approx. 6/8" and the run out groove is 5/8" definitely well below an inch whatever you wish to measure as the run out groove, I've always been lead to believe the boot run out groove was an inch. Had my copy for over 30 years and never been sure which it is, I've included pictures off both sides, hope this helps and maybe someone can confirm which mine is.

image.jpg

Edited by The Phantom Janitor
Social source share

Craig yours is original.  You ought to to auction it on here though, not ebay, they'll charge you so much!  I'd put in a starting bid of £500

I see your point Pete but I'll let it run on Ebay now and see how it goes.

Some soul tunes at the moment seem to be fetching silly money on there.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!