Fantastic Arrangements

Guest ShaneH

Is there a song better arranged than Lorraine Chandler 'you only live twice'?

i know it was a failed Bond tune but the quality of this songs arrangement is Bond through and through. absolutely fantastic!

anymore tunes with such grand arrangement?

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Lorraine_Ch..._Live_Twice.ram

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i know it was a failed Bond tune but the quality of this songs arrangement is Bond through and through. absolutely fantastic!

Shane

Hi Shane, I agree with you on the Lorraine Chandler arrangement but the track that does it for me on the arrangment side is Al Kent / Wingate Strings - The way you been acting lately - Ric Tic.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Shane, I agree with you on the Lorraine Chandler arrangement but the track that does it for me on the arrangment side is Al Kent / Wingate Strings - The way you been acting lately - Ric Tic.

Regards

Alan

You beat me to it mate blush.gif .On the more modern oldies front (if that makes sense),what about Do What You Can Do-Space Ark.

Social source share

Forget the artist, but what about Sad Girl.......oh just came to me Carol Anderson (i think)

All though its 70's when the arrangments got alot better, still got a 60's (ish) feel to it

Or am i talking b****ks

Edited by Baz
Social source share

I agree all the aformention tracks have good arrangements. But just about everything arranged by McKinley Jackson from the early 70's until the late leaves most in his wake, and I do say most, not all. Listen to Popcorn Wylie's, ESP LP or his work at ABC with Bobby Hutton, Reggie Garner, Lamont Dozier to name a few. Even lovers of the 60's when listening to this would have to agree that he moved the benchmark. The Holland brothers to this day, still ring him to consult on arrangements.

Social source share

I agree all the aformention tracks have good arrangements. But just about everything arranged by McKinley Jackson from the early 70's until the late leaves most in his wake, and I do say most, not all. Listen to Popcorn Wylie's, ESP LP or his work at ABC with Bobby Hutton, Reggie Garner, Lamont Dozier to name a few. Even lovers of the 60's when listening to this would have to agree that he moved the benchmark. The Holland brothers to this day, still ring him to consult on arrangements.

============

gene page - of all our other days on vmi ... masterpiece imo

Social source share

Regards

Alan

Yep absolutely awesome record Alan - always sounds so gooood when you here it nice and loud tongue.gif

Social source share

Shane

Good choice.. 'You Didn't Say A Word' is pretty good arrangement-wise (and similarly Bond theme-like), the Patti Austin version through headphones is fantastic.. also listened to the Vel-vets 'I'm Gonna Find Me Somebody' for the first time in ages the other day, not the most polished production but brilliant counter-melodies etc going on with those strings and backing voices.

Social source share

Good choice.. 'You Didn't Say A Word' is pretty good arrangement-wise (and similarly Bond theme-like), the Patti Austin version through headphones is fantastic.. also listened to the Vel-vets 'I'm Gonna Find Me Somebody' for the first time in ages the other day, not the most polished production but brilliant counter-melodies etc going on with those strings and backing voices.

The various Bond arrangements are all good, but by nature spoofy or derivative. Agree with rachel regarding the Vel-vets. Not only a powerhouse, but intricate and very clever.

For sheer class, the arrangements Teddy Randazzo did for Little Anthony take some beating. But then I'm a sucker for anything with a Bacharach feel. He was the number one in my book, and also (IMHO) the greatest pop composer if the 20th century.

Social source share

The Al Kent, Lorraine Chandler (all of 'em), Yvonne Baker and the Vel-Vets records are simply stunning arrangements, productions and performances.

If you ever wanted to explain Northern Soul passion, not the genre, to anyone, these are the ones to do it.

Good thread Shane, but Motown also takes some beating!

Social source share

The Al Kent, Lorraine Chandler (all of 'em), Yvonne Baker and the Vel-Vets records are simply stunning arrangements, productions and performances.

If you ever wanted to explain Northern Soul passion, not the genre, to anyone, these are the ones to do it.

Good thread Shane, but Motown also takes some beating!

which tunes ya reckon, brian?

i am particularly interested in hearing about the 'grand' ones

cheers

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

which tunes ya reckon, brian?

i am particularly interested in hearing about the 'grand' ones

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,

Off the top of my head,

• Baby I Need Your Loving
  • Ain't No Mountain High Enough M&T
  • I'll Always Love You The Spinners
  • I've Passed This Way Before JR
  • This Old Heart of Mine Isleys
  • My World is Crumbling Brenda

By the way, most of these are not in my list of Motown Faves, but bloody hell, just listen to them as dispassionately as you can, and marvel at the brilliance.

How lucky are we???

Social source share

Ask The Lonely - The Four Tops

Girl I Need You - The Artistics

YES yes yes :rolleyes: The harmonies, timing & everything truely fantastic !! Everything just comes together perfectly i think.

Social source share

Shane

Not a big fan myself. Sounds TOO much like a bond song for my liking.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!