robbie lawson

Soul Shaw

Whether a legitimate reissue or an out and out counterfeit I don't know.. But remember John Mc (Kettering) having both real and 'not' real copies the same night at a Lifeline, Stables 'Niter around 4-5 years ago. If memory serves it was extremely difficult to tell them apart

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Paul Kyser repressed them himself.  As he owns the label, the masters and publishing, he's certainly within his rights to do whatever he wants with the recordings.  But he's not a collector and he doesn't distinguish between "original" and "reissue".  To him, they are all "original", as they were from the master tapes.  But his recent pressings differ from the ~50-year old copies in that they lack the Bell Sound stamp in the run-out groove.  They look and sound great, though! 

Edited by solidhit
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

There was one on ebay just over a week ago I think. Clearly listed as a repress - by the current seller at least. What happens next depends on who bought it I guess...

Another travesty. After reading this thread on Soul Source, I too spotted the repress for sale a week or two ago and thought there's another record that can't be taken at face value.

Social source share

The pink boot has part of the intro missing !!

Yes it does.  But to put a finer point on it, the pink boot misses out the first two bars which have the slow start.  The third bar is repeated three times, so you hear the faster start bar three times.  If buying a boot of this, best to avoid the pink ones and get a yellow one instead (or one of Paul Kyser's lookalike represses if the price is right).  The quality is also miles better.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!