mike

24 hour tube London - good or...?

Right now it's 05.00am to about midnight, not sure I'd want my wife travelling on it at 2 in the morning. When I'm in London would be nice to get an earlier tube, say around 04.00am to get me where I need to go.

When I was living in Toronto it was great having a public transport system that ran 24 hours a day, on my visits to London for the 100 Club do's as opposed to allnighters it was often a couple of hours to get anywhere by night bus, so that surely has to be an improvement. 

As a Londoner who often goes to soul nights that finish well after midnight I welcome the planned night tube service. It will only be on Friday and Saturday nights, and only certain lines, don't think it will include the Overground which is a shame. But I suspect it will not be all sweetness and light travelling on them. Night buses can have a slightly edgy atmosphere, at least on my limited experience, I try to avoid them and make other arrangements if possible. So it'll obviously be the same people using the allnight underground service.

At present the last tubes at Oxford Street station usually are at about 12.30 I think, but earlier on Sunday nights.

I have sympathy with the workers on the underground who don't really want to do night work. When I had to do it in the past I had difficulty in sleeping during the day and was all over the place at the weekend. I'm not sure what exactly the unions are after, but I do know from personal experience that most industrial disputes are only really understood by the participants. The media only give a very sketchy overview, often in a way to annoy members of the public not involved. When I commuted across London transport strikes were highly irritating, but the wages of tube drivers were always irrelevant. Apologies for going off on a slight tangent on this thread.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.