Ben E. King - Gettin' To Me

Mal C

Gettin' To Me is a brilliant record, absolute Northern Soul Anthem, but I never heard of,  or read anything from Ben E King on this track or session, has he ever commented on it?

Ive probably missed it, but be nice to see what the reaction was from him on it...

Social source share

There is a series of Ben E King CDs issued by Sequel in 1996 which has a listing of his Atco sessions compiled by Peter Burns in 1970. Checking through these for any info on Gettin' To Me only adds Artie Butler as arranger and exact date as 3rd  February 66. However looking at the other sessions reveals another fifteen unreleased tracks. There is only the song title listed without writer credits so hard to say if they are all unknown songs. From Feb 68 was Hangin' On and You Were Meant For Me  and October 68, The Look of Love and Givin' Up, the last two could be the well known songs. Anyone (Ady) know if any of the other unreleased tracks exist on acetates or are they all lost for ever in the fire at Atlantic.

As to if Ben E King  talked about Gettin' To Me, Ady would be the one to ask but many artists seem to have little memories of  their recording sessions. Maybe they were more concerned with live appearances.

Rick

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

It's Leiber and Stoller, isn't it? Always assumed it was done at the same time as the excellent, and overlooked, 'Where's The Girl?', also written/ produced by themthem and arranged by Artie Butler. That one came out as the b-side of 'It's Amazing' on Atco.

'Getting to Me' is great but always sounds to me one or two takes away as good as it could have been. Bit sketchy in places..

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

• 5 years later...

Rememer a certain DJ, of Mecca origins shall we say was down the 100 Club one night, sitting just in by the entrance, next to the cloak room. Anyhow this track was announced and it was mentioned that 'said' DJ had said if he had found it, he'd have put it back, something like that, and then Ben E King was announced and it was said that unlike 'said' DJ we didn't put it back! we think its brilliant!  something along those lines...  silly as it might seem that small statement was like a calling to the whole club, to hit the dance floor, I remember it as if it was yesterday, it made you proud to be at the 100 club dancing to that record in that moment...  

Kinda cool 🙂

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!