Buying/Selling Ebay - Feedback threats

Chris L

I buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller I always without question or quibble accept returns for whatever reason. If the buyer changed his mind they pay return postage if I’ve made a mistake I offer to pay for the return postage. Not sure that anyone could be fairer and I would expect the same when I buy.

I just bought a record on Ebay, it arrived with a gouge in it that affected play. I informed the seller who swore that it was perfect when it left him and he didn’t accept returns and certainly not a damaged one. The infernce being I had damaged it, to quote « like the record back as it was SENT WITH NO big scatch THANKS” (his spelling mistake, not mine;)

May sound strange but if record wasn’t scratched why would I want to return it ? Anyway I opened a Return Process that obliged seller to accept return, sent it back and got my original money back but not the return postage costs (about £9.00).

I gave the person a neutral Feedback (NOT Negative) and he has contacted me to tell me that the next time I sell records he and his mates will bid and buy them with the intention of giving me Negative Feedback.

I’ve never been threatened with this sort of thing in all the 18+ years I’ve been selling stuff. So beware that there are these sorts of people are out there. 

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Report him to eBay.

I would say that recently I sold a high value (£200) limited edition book I published that the buyer HAD clearly damaged it by dropping it out of the slip cover when opening it (the cover was ripped and scraped on an area fully covered by an undamaged slip case that contained it and there was no damage to speak of to the double book box it was sent in) - I had to refund it in 'good faith' knowing he'd undoubtedly done the damage (especially knowing in the past that when I accidentally sent the wrong Marketts to someone and then sent the replacement and the buyer didn't return the original - eBay's reaction to my complaint was to fully refund the buyer for the original cost of record out of my account - so he had BOTH 'Stirrin Up Some Soul' AND 'Bela Delana' AND my money)... Luckily the post office footed the bill on the book as I sent it insured and they ain't smart enough to think the damage through properly.

Dx

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Report him to eBay.

I would say that recently I sold a high value (£200) limited edition book I published that the buyer HAD clearly damaged it by dropping it out of the slip cover when opening it (the cover was ripped and scraped on an area fully covered by an undamaged slip case that contained it and there was no damage to speak of to the double book box it was sent in) - I had to refund it in 'good faith' knowing he'd undoubtedly done the damage (especially knowing in the past that when I accidentally sent the wrong Marketts to someone and then sent the replacement and the buyer didn't return the original - eBay's reaction to my complaint was to fully refund the buyer for the original cost of record out of my account - so he had BOTH 'Stirrin Up Some Soul' AND 'Bela Delana' AND my money)... Luckily the post office footed the bill on the book as I sent it insured and they ain't smart enough to think the damage through properly.

Dx

I fully understand, thing the customer is always right until you prove it otherwise. I insure anything over £50.00 at it's "sold value" + cost of postage that way there's no post-delivery discussion. Unfortunately buying and selling depends on honesty from both sides, it's not always there :huh:

Social source share

I buy and sell on Ebay. As a seller I always without question or quibble accept returns for whatever reason. If the buyer changed his mind they pay return postage if I’ve made a mistake I offer to pay for the return postage. Not sure that anyone could be fairer and I would expect the same when I buy.

I just bought a record on Ebay, it arrived with a gouge in it that affected play. I informed the seller who swore that it was perfect when it left him and he didn’t accept returns and certainly not a damaged one. The infernce being I had damaged it, to quote « like the record back as it was SENT WITH NO big scatch THANKS” (his spelling mistake, not mine;)

May sound strange but if record wasn’t scratched why would I want to return it ? Anyway I opened a Return Process that obliged seller to accept return, sent it back and got my original money back but not the return postage costs (about £9.00).

I gave the person a neutral Feedback (NOT Negative) and he has contacted me to tell me that the next time I sell records he and his mates will bid and buy them with the intention of giving me Negative Feedback.

I’ve never been threatened with this sort of thing in all the 18+ years I’ve been selling stuff. So beware that there are these sorts of people are out there. 

There are few things to keep in mind here.

1. You could mention to this seller that,  although you feel that would be out of order, "2 can play that game"

2. If they did bid, it could push up the finish price that a genuine bidder pay's - thus a good result for You!

3. Just take no notice of someone being childish.

Social source share

There are few things to keep in mind here.

1. You could mention to this seller that,  although you feel that would be out of order, "2 can play that game"

2. If they did bid, it could push up the finish price that a genuine bidder pay's - thus a good result for You!

3. Just take no notice of someone being childish.

I will report it to Ebay I have a load of stuff to sell later in the year and don't need the disruption.

Social source share

I assume you've seen your guy's neutrals, Chris?

Neutral feedback ratingHad to return item, £9.00 out of pocket, not such a great experience.Buyer:
g***t ( 4860Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999)
During past monthFeedback conversation

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Aug-24-15 06:35):
    THIS BUYER WILL GIVE EBAY A BAD NAME.
 NORTHERN SOUL 7" = THE SPELLBINDERS = HELP ME [GET MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AGAIN] (#201396188004)GBP 62.40View Item NORTHERN SOUL 7" = THE SPELLBINDERS = HELP ME [GET MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AGAIN] 
info
Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.
Neutral feedback rating-----AVOID THIS SELLER----JUNKBuyer:
3***3 ( 1329Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999)
During past yearFeedback conversation

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Nov-09-14 14:21):
    the buyer had a full refund and the record , buyer will give ebay a BAD NAME
 THE BEATLES 7" 45 = PAPERBACK WRITER = RAIN =[ RARE GERMANY ODEON ] (#201155727743)GBP 3.50  
Neutral feedback ratingsent me 2 trashed records graded vg++ DO NOT SHOP HERE AVOID-------Buyer:

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Nov-09-14 14:25):
    HAVE REPORT THIS BUYER = GAVE A FULL REFUND AND THE RECORD =AVOID
 THE BEATLES 7" 45 = DAY TRIPPER = WE CAN WORK IT OUT =[ RARE GERMANY ODEON ] (#201155725327)
Social source share

I assume you've seen your guy's neutrals, Chris?

Neutral feedback ratingHad to return item, £9.00 out of pocket, not such a great experience.Buyer:
g***t ( 4860Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999)
During past monthFeedback conversation

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Aug-24-15 06:35):
    THIS BUYER WILL GIVE EBAY A BAD NAME.
 NORTHERN SOUL 7" = THE SPELLBINDERS = HELP ME [GET MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AGAIN] (#201396188004)GBP 62.40View Item NORTHERN SOUL 7" = THE SPELLBINDERS = HELP ME [GET MYSELF BACK TOGETHER AGAIN] 
info
Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.
Neutral feedback rating-----AVOID THIS SELLER----JUNKBuyer:

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Nov-09-14 14:21):
    the buyer had a full refund and the record , buyer will give ebay a BAD NAME
 THE BEATLES 7" 45 = PAPERBACK WRITER = RAIN =[ RARE GERMANY ODEON ] (#201155727743)GBP 3.50  
Neutral feedback ratingsent me 2 trashed records graded vg++ DO NOT SHOP HERE AVOID-------Buyer:

• Reply by e_i_addy_o (Nov-09-14 14:25):
    HAVE REPORT THIS BUYER = GAVE A FULL REFUND AND THE RECORD =AVOID
 THE BEATLES 7" 45 = DAY TRIPPER = WE CAN WORK IT OUT =[ RARE GERMANY ODEON ] (#201155725327)

No I hadn't seen that  :ohmy: 

Social source share

Always two sides to a story - got my first negative feedback for over six months last week . Buyer complained about condition - No probs return for a full refund NO QUIBBLE  Including return postage - No response until 10 days later he just left a negative feedback comment  ? 

One buyer last year said  quote  : Can' t be arsed returning it's too much hassle   WTF  ???

Cannot fathom why they would not just gain a full refund. We average over 200 transactions per month and unfortunately negative feedback is often used incorrectly and unfairly.

Have reported buyers previously to Ebay - One buyer had left over 20 negative / neutral feedbacks for non receipt ( Must be unlucky  !!!_)  He 's still buying now -  Naff all done...

They are rumoured to be reviewing feedback in the autumn seller update . Sincerely hope they return the opportunity for sellers to leave negatives - That is one sure way that feedback extortion will dissolve quicker than alka selkers  

Social source share

Chris  - You can request Ebay remove his follow up comment  -  Seller cannot leave inflammatory remarks  against feedback policies.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...
30 minutes ago, Ernie Andrews said:

Chris can I ask a question please! How were you out of pocket to the tune of £9?

You obviously wouldn't send it back Special because it was damaged when it arrived to you so I would have sent it back just signed for which is £2.37.

Ernie, I live in Belgium.

Social source share

On 1/24/2017 at 11:22, Mick Reed said:

He is responsible for giving you a postage label if he does not then you should have raised a case with ebay they would then come down in your favor and give you a recorded postage label to print he would be charged for it.Hope this helps.

Thanks, will try it have same again going on right now.

Social source share

On 1/24/2017 at 11:22, Mick Reed said:

He is responsible for giving you a postage label if he does not then you should have raised a case with ebay they would then come down in your favor and give you a recorded postage label to print he would be charged for it.Hope this helps.

Many thanks for advice and info Mick, already got a refund :)

Social source share

38 minutes ago, carl baxter said:

I had a run in with the same fellow a few years back. He sent me the wrong records. When I managed to contact him to rectify the problem I was given loads of abuse and accused of stealing his records. Look at his old feedback.

I bought an item last week (not records) and got sent product that wasn't 100% what I ordered, when I contacted seller his/her reply was "You got more than you ordered you should be happy" :lol: :yes: I pointed out that half of it was useless to me :ohmy: I don't think there's enough space on this page to relate to my buying activities on Ebay, maybe we should write a book about it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!