Shirley Shirelles Never give you up

Chris L

Trawling through some prices today and was very, very surprised to see this selling for about £40 - 50. I think I paid less than a $1.00 for mine. It's nowhere near as good as Jerry Butler's version. Assume earlier Bell label harder to find (relatively) ? Will always be a £1.00 sound for me, you used to find them a lot in soul packs in the 70s (along with Johnny Howard - Chase is on). What's the attraction ?

Shirley2.jpg

Shirley3.JPG

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest trickbag

Posted 1 Jul 2013 (edited)    recordlurv    

Clean copy of this 60s deep ballad ex grade with clean label in company sleeve

40 euro paypal as gift and ill cover postage

I think its better than   Jerry  Butler's version and Eddie Floyd's.

don't know if it's worth £40.00

ricky.

Social source share

shirelles tune is  a very accessable kind of soul sound so im not surprised its gone up massively in price. 

i dont think buyers are old guard soulies.

I always loved the Shirelles and I can tell when they are soulful and where they are less or not. But really if an artist or a group is/are accessible kinds of soul, I'm yet to part them. And is that old guard souls a tribe or some sort of a cult where they all know the good records  ? Who tell when they are or not ? Is it good or bad ?

Edited by tlscapital
one word "it"
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It's awesome crossover with a funky back beat one just sold on push kings auction on ebay £79 defo on the up this one 

I love all the other versions but this one just pips it for me.

If i remember rightly, you used to play this to welcoming audience at The Orwell Mr Flanmeister?

Superb femme take on a classic song imho and has always been a connasewers 45 :-)

Cheers

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Jerry Butler is still the man as far as this tune goes, but I'm after this as I'm still collecting all Amy/Mala/Bell soul sides.

Best, 

Mark

You won't have far to look Mark they appear regulary in all the known selling places, think there's one on Discogs right now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!