John Manship Auction Result - 26th August

Jim G

Some mind blowing sums laid out here but not across the board. Gloria Jones virtually doubling in price but Andy Fisher commanding 25% below book price.  Gobsmacked by the Rita Lee price - always thought the pink-on-white issues of the label releases were reissues or a subsequent afterthought press, so is this format the first and only issue of this Salvation track?

Social source share

Some mind blowing sums laid out here but not across the board. Gloria Jones virtually doubling in price but Andy Fisher commanding 25% below book price.  Gobsmacked by the Rita Lee price - always thought the pink-on-white issues of the label releases were reissues or a subsequent afterthought press, so is this format the first and only issue of this Salvation track?

Only format for the Rita Lee I think?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

100% Agree, Rita Lee is not in any way shape or form rare. 

I thought it a £10-£20 record but must have misjudged the demand, I guess loads of these will come out of the woodwork in the next few weeks; everyone will now be expecting £500+ and every DJ will be digging out their copy just to show they have a copy. Mine is gonna stay in the box at home because I'm not gonna follow the crowd  :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Rita Lee ' i have sold 3 copies over the last 18 months for £40 pounds each JM gets over 800 pounds well what can i say soul scene is fooked

Social source share

I need to get out more often as I have never seen a Rita Lee. I used to have a Men From Macon 'Salvation' on Le Cam, pink-on-white label but sold this in the late 70's: I see John has this marked at a tenner in Price Guide #6. So, which is THE version then as I don't recall seeing a Men From Macon's 'Salvation' on yellow Charay either?

Social source share

never seen the Cressa Watson, ever. How many known?

i know of 4 I think.  If Rita Lee is worth that then Cressa must be £10k. It is a 70's press done for the scene by the label owner who was in touch with Barrie Wadd (I think) who was feedimg him info about what was in demand and popular. It was around a ton not too long ago. 

Social source share

Never mind Rita Lee, what about the Incredibles, I know its a mint UK demo, but £916 has got to be pretty near a record for something on Stateside. In addition, besides the Darrell Banks issue and the Jimmy Ruffin "what becomes" demo how many other UK  (soul) records have sold for more ?. 

Just had look on popsike an EX Incredibles demo went for £433 in March, and the top price for a Stateside record is £720 for a Hoagy Lands demo.

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Its a popular sound all right and it's so clear that "sheeple" will just bid mad amounts to get a proven dance floor winner rather than trying to break their own sounds, or playing something imaginative. Very depressing.

Like "sheeple" Steve,is it one of your own.? Also,isnt the Cressa Watson -"salvation",,Cresa with one "s" or have i dreamt it.?

Social source share

i know of 4 I think.  If Rita Lee is worth that then Cressa must be £10k. It is a 70's press done for the scene by the label owner who was in touch with Barrie Wadd (I think) who was feedimg him info about what was in demand and popular. It was around a ton not too long ago. 

Not Barrie.It was Steve (Brad) Bradley.He must have loads of stuff sent from Major Bill Smith in the early 70s, I would not be surprised at all if he has a copy of Cressa.

atb,Geoff

Social source share

Never mind Rita Lee, what about the Incredibles, I know its a mint UK demo, but £916 has got to be pretty near a record for something on Stateside. In addition, besides the Darrell Banks issue and the Jimmy Ruffin "what becomes" demo how many other UK  (soul) records have sold for more ?. 

Just had look on popsike an EX Incredibles demo went for £433 in March, and the top price for a Stateside record is £720 for a Hoagy Lands demo.

That's a lot of money, hope buyer is happy with his/her purchase.

Social source share

Not Barrie.It was Steve (Brad) Bradley.He must have loads of stuff sent from Major Bill Smith in the early 70s, I would not be surprised at all if he has a copy of Cressa.

atb,Geoff

knew it was one of them.  Another mate has a copy of Cresa which he was looking to sell.  JM probably the best place too. 

Social source share

i know of 4 I think.  If Rita Lee is worth that then Cressa must be £10k. It is a 70's press done for the scene by the label owner who was in touch with Barrie Wadd (I think) who was feedimg him info about what was in demand and popular. It was around a ton not too long ago

I presume you are talking about the Rita Lee there Chalky?

What's the story with the Cresa Watson then. Don't think I've ever heard it.

Social source share

I presume you are talking about the Rita Lee there Chalky?

What's the story with the Cresa Watson then. Don't think I've ever heard it.

yes mate.  Cresa the first and very rare.  Rita pressed up by Major Bill later.  Cresa is a yellow label, will sort a scan when I get the chance.  Althout the Butch factor comes in to play Andy Dyson probably made it popular everywhere including Kings Hall, thats why Rita is so in demand.  When me and Andy compared the 45's sure they sounded differnet takes but not so sure now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Timi Yuro and Chapter five have both gone for over a grand on more than one occasion recently. Is it rareity or demand that decides?

Social source share

Timi Yuro and Chapter five have both gone for over a grand on more than one occasion recently. Is it rareity or demand that decides?

Well it aint rarity in the case of Timi Yuro and I can't see how its demand in the case of Chapter Five, never cottoned too that record really.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

yes mate.  Cresa the first and very rare.  Rita pressed up by Major Bill later.  Cresa is a yellow label, will sort a scan when I get the chance.  Althout the Butch factor comes in to play Andy Dyson probably made it popular everywhere including Kings Hall, thats why Rita is so in demand.  When me and Andy compared the 45's sure they sounded differnet takes but not so sure now.

So is Rita Lee the same person as Cressa Watson?

This lady?...(and a friend of Bowie)...

55df3996330fc_rita_lee_60s.thumb.jpg.61155df39a482a1d_rita_lee_late_60s.thumb.jp55df39b3ec2d8_rita_lee_70s.thumb.jpg.36c55df39ca6f9b5_rita_lee__bowie.thumb.jpg.

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

Martha reeves ,"No one There " was a snip at £164 ; 2  copies on Discogs at around £250 [demos] plus issues regularly make £120,its such popular tune ,move over Rita, Brenda on Argentinian Brazilian TM very hard and what a looker,Unique with favour on asingle { OK its on the Frog ep but what price ?} Mr Ms still the greatest oldies room ditto ,Auction Site JM  I Love You ,and Stella. LOL Johnny Hart

Social source share

From Tim Brown today...

The Bank Holiday continues with our latest list of rare soul goodies comprising Northern, Modern and Funk. Our latest auction items are also indicated and will be 'live' on the website this week. 
Many thanks to those of you who participated in August's auction, with prices achieved of over 4k for The Tomangoe's and nearly 2k for Candi Staton, it might be opportune to remind customers that we charge only 12% to offer auction items for you (and this amount includes VAT). Apologies for the mix-up over Rufus Wood, obviously we did not accept a £500 bid for this 2nd issue. We wonder if the same thing has been offered to the unfortunate individual who 'won' the Rita Lee 2nd issue for £822.00 on Manship's auction!
Let us be clear on this one.... Both the Rita Lee and Men From Macon (the instrumental) versions of 'Salvation' are originally on a yellow/greenCharay label, exactly as per the more-often-seen Robert Thomas. Both are very scarce, in fact, I've not seen either for sale since buying them in 1976.
The re-issues of all the above were commonly available in shops in 1975 at less than 60 pence!

Social source share

Martha reeves ,"No one There " was a snip at £164 ; 2  copies on Discogs at around £250 [demos] plus issues regularly make £120,its such popular tune ,move over Rita, Brenda on Argentinian Brazilian TM very hard and what a looker,Unique with favour on asingle { OK its on the Frog ep but what price ?} Mr Ms still the greatest oldies room ditto ,Auction Site JM  I Love You ,and Stella. LOL Johnny Hart

A snip at £164, are you crazy?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!