George McGregor R.I.P

Louise

Sadly heard last night that legendary Detroit Drummer/Producer/Writer George MCGregor passed away last Friday.

He had been ill for some time, and had suffered a heart attack early last week before finally passing away on Friday.

R.I..P George

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Yes this is sad news, Met George along side Guy and Chris K in 1985 went to a party where he was at. Had a chat with him and he was very nice bloke, wish I had known more about him back then. As for his skills well what can you say, for anyone who isn't so clued up check out the drumming in E Starr's Your my mellow or any version of Hit and run. you'll know where he's at Bless you George and thanks

• Helpful 2
Social source share

that is sad news, RIP Peace George...assume he's the same guy recorded the below track?

This is Detroit drummer, George McGregor's cousin, who is also the brother of Chicago's Billy McGregor, who had a minor Chicago hit with "Mr. Shy".  His voice is very, very like Billy's.

Edited by RobbK
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Dave Thorley and myself dedicated some of his records to the memory of George  at the Weston Weekender.

I interviewed George when I wrote the sleeve notes for The Precisions CD on Joe Boy, and it was awesome to talk to him, and that led to me quoting him in one of the foreword pieces to the book  "Northern Soul Stories".

What I loved about talking to George was that he was not in the slightest bit blase about it all.

We used his quote "No one individaul created that music and era, it was a spiritual phenomenon"on the Made-In-Detroit labels.

RIP.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!