regional food dishes

With our wide and varied local differences within UK,what dishes would we not see UK wide?

Edited by tenuate
spelling error

Red pudding supper - a Scottish "delicacy" found in Fife and surrounds, but not across the whole of the country or the UK by any means. The "supper" part indicates that it comes with chips.

As kids we'd always get a red pudding supper from Davy's fish shop when we visited our grandparents in Cowdenbeath. This would be very late 60s/early 70s. I can almost taste it now!

Redpudding1.thumb.jpg.2ec3ef2d8152d26c2b

Red pudding supper - a Scottish "delicacy" found in Fife and surrounds, but not across the whole of the country or the UK by any means. The "supper" part indicates that it comes with chips.

As kids we'd always get a red pudding supper from Davy's fish shop when we visited our grandparents in Cowdenbeath. This would be very late 60s/early 70s. I can almost taste it now!

mmm with you wi pudding suppers, black,white n red,mock chop supper still an enigma to content, mind queuing for tickets outside Pittodrie after school n dad coming oer to q wi the above n going back too warm motor. 

On corrie, they go on bout barm cakes, what are they n sorry if I spelt it wrong? 

Is a flick knife the usual utensil used lol !!

Is a flick knife the usual utensil used lol !!

Not my photo, Swifty, but looks like a classic fixed-blade French Laguiole knife to me (although they also do folding knives). Lovely things, Laguiole knives - always wanted to get myself a set, but quite pricey and it has to be said, way too good to be using on a red pudding! :lol:

http://www.made-in-laguiole.co.uk/3-standard-range

Just as an aside… Looking round the Xmas market in Brussels some years back - before I'd heard of Lagiuole – I bought a knife identical in style to theirs for a few euros. Was well pleased with it as I liked the look of it very much. That was until the first time I used it and the edge of the blade started to crumple.

Turned out it was a fake!

Muffin is the proper Manchester name for it don't watch corrie so can't comment. Called a barm cake in Widnes. 

Steve

Ah reet Steve. This is a muffin!

muffin.jpg

Edited by Peter99

that is a fruit teacake

Whatever it is the buggers are tight with the butter! It's merely been shown a pack of Lurpak. If you're going to have proper butter - and it seems that it's better for you than marge, then spread it thick. 

Edit - don't spread it, slice it, and salted is better.

Loooks nice Philly. What is it - potatoes, leeks and cheese? Nice with some roast chicken.

Sliced or cubed, potatoes, swede, savoy cabbage, butter and mature cheddar cheese  baked in the oven... sprinkle with chopped chives if required, love this with any meal or stuffed into a Yorkshire pudding with gravy ...

Edited by Philly

Ah reet Steve. This is a muffin!

muffin.jpg

Peter my friend. They look like blueberry muffins. yummy with custard..  

Not got a picture but they sell oven bottom muffins in the supermarkets that are fabulous with ham and piccalily. Or a chicken salad or even with soups.

Steve

Peter my friend. They look like blueberry muffins. yummy with custard..  

Not got a picture but they sell oven bottom muffins in the supermarkets that are fabulous with ham and piccalily. Or a chicken salad or even with soups.

Steve

Enjoy Sir

english-muffins.thumb.jpg.22a0f84ea8d228

I was born and raised in Lincolnshire. Here's a product from there - stuffed chine. I used to turn my nose up at this but it has been likened to a fine french pate. I quite fancy some now - with some bread, pickle and salad. There's a good butchers in Louth who make this - my learned friend Swifty would concur I'm sure.

chine.thumb.jpg.d4e9faed2caaff2a5559d188

Battered chips are a West Midlands delicacy. 

They are exactly what it says, chips with a very thin coating of batter, just enough to make them really crunchy. 

:ohmy: Battered fecking chips? 

Ay up Dave - hope you're well mate. I wondered where Aunt Bessie got the idea from - their oven chip products are lightly battered. On the battered front I havent had one of these for ages...................

saus.thumb.jpg.470aff43ce2ba9281cbbe90d0

Edited by Peter99

The batter has got me reminiscing now. Back in the day we used to travel to Clifton Hall niters from Mablethorpe. We had a ritual which included stopping at a chippie at Tickhill, having a Yorkshire fishcake and chips, then onwards for a pint at the Charters Arms in Rotherham, and then to the all niter - one of the best, and plenty of our other staple at the time. :wicked: Great times.

fish.thumb.jpg.b923d12bcd0a97af3c2f16e64

Yorkshire_fish_cake.bmp

Carlin peas, a traditional northern dish which you don't see nowadays.

Didn't Carlins get banned by the EU, as they are not classed as a food for human consumption.

Used to love Carlin Sunday.

Nice with one of our local delicacies, Cumberland rum butter.  

I always used to take Cumberland rum butter, XL cheese crisps, Kendal mint cake and Cumberland sausage down to my sister's in Brighton when I visited, but I haven't been able to find rum butter for a few years now, they don't sell in in Tebay services anymore.

It's been replaced by brandy butter which I haven't tried.

Soused herring we had that a lot in GT Yarmouth.

10 for a pound off our beach:) i often drop mum off a few once herring start showing.

Edited by NCFC

I always used to take Cumberland rum butter, XL cheese crisps, Kendal mint cake and Cumberland sausage down to my sister's in Brighton when I visited, but I haven't been able to find rum butter for a few years now, they don't sell in in Tebay services anymore.

It's been replaced by brandy butter which I haven't tried.

The local bakery used to make rum butter until they were bought out by Gregg's.  I made my own a couple of years ago.  Tasted better than the bought stuff, but then I was generous with the rum.

Didn't Carlins get banned by the EU, as they are not classed as a food for human consumption.

Used to love Carlin Sunday.

My mate's mam used to celebrate Carlin night with the old pigeon peas when we were kids.  Didn't do us any harm.

The Staffordshire Oatcake, a savoury delicacy not to be confused with a Scottish Oat cake.

Fill with bacon and cheese, sausage and cheese, bacon and egg (you get the picture) roll them up, dip in the sauce or ketchup and enjoy,  Its one off the few foods I really miss from the UK............................

Image result for staffordshire oatcakes

Loving the names o some o these things, lardy cake, brilliant. 

The Staffordshire Oatcake, a savoury delicacy not to be confused with a Scottish Oat cake.

Fill with bacon and cheese, sausage and cheese, bacon and egg (you get the picture) roll them up, dip in the sauce or ketchup and enjoy,  Its one off the few foods I really miss from the UK............................

Image result for staffordshire oatcakes

take A bite & all the contents fire out of the other end & on 2 yur lap !! 

no mate, klondikes are slices of potato in thick batter. These are normal chips in very thin batter so it just forms a crispy coating. 

Dave they're called Scallops in Manchester. Talking of chip shops. When I was a kid growing up in Widnes, chips and peas was called a mixture. In St Helens it was called a split. caused me a few problems when I went out with a girl from St Helens when she said do you want some of my split :yes: :lol:

Steve

take A bite & all the contents fire out of the other end & on 2 yur lap !! 

You gotta fold the 'other' end over........anyways, licking it from your chin ain't such a bad thing!!

x

Edited by crazylegs

The local bakery used to make rum butter until they were bought out by Gregg's.  I made my own a couple of years ago.  Tasted better than the bought stuff, but then I was generous with the rum.

greggs n other chain shops pain in arse,when local bakeries get shut local foods lost, stand in any greggs n you could be in any town or city in UK 

I was born and raised in Lincolnshire. Here's a product from there - stuffed chine. I used to turn my nose up at this but it has been likened to a fine french pate. I quite fancy some now - with some bread, pickle and salad. There's a good butchers in Louth who make this - my learned friend Swifty would concur I'm sure.

chine.thumb.jpg.d4e9faed2caaff2a5559d188

I concur Pierre !! actually a couple of our world renowned Butchers sell this as well as our famous Lincolnshire Sausages and Haslet ! of which we have full savoury one in the fridge as we speak !! :thumbsup:

I concur Pierre !! actually a couple of our world renowned Butchers sell this as well as our famous Lincolnshire Sausages and Haslet ! of which we have full savoury one in the fridge as we speak !! :thumbsup:

Hi Swifty

Not had a haslet buttie for ages. Nice with brown sauce or pickle.

Hope you're ok mate.

P

I was round me mate Dave's one night when his dad Albert came in and said "Anyone for a pork pie sandwich". WTF? :ohmy: He was from Sheffield. 

Old Albert was a great cook though - he made great sunday dinners and great everything. He worked as a cook on a north sea trawler. Good old boy was Albert - funny too.

You gotta fold the 'other' end over........anyways, licking it from your chin ain't such a bad thing!!

x

allways had bacon ,egg  N oatcakes on a Sunday mornin in my early teens ! Allways Savin 1 4 just thick butter , didn't seem the same avin A full English @ sandbach services on A Sunday morning ! Guess I lost my appetite as I got older !

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.