mike

current affairs on a break

Closing this the current affairs  forum later tonite  for a break of a week or two

The time and effort required in looking after this 'odd' forum and the effect that this forum has on the rest of the site are always a concern

So feel that given recent posts by some a break may be a good thing all round

cheers

mike

Edited by mike
rewording

Was it the immigration /migration thing an issue out of curiosity? 

Was it the immigration /migration thing an issue out of curiosity? 

nah not really

more a combination of things

as said feel a bit of a break could do some good allround

Don't blame you. It was beginning to dominate the forum.  Maybe we can get back to talking soul music.  Plenty of political forums.

Edited by chalky

As I said some of the topics whilst being very emotive were beginning to dominate what is a forum about Northern, Rare and Modern Soul and in my opinion it has suffered because of some of the very vocal posts and topics.  I for one wouldn't miss it.  Light hearted stuff, the wildlife topics/photos yes but heavy political topics no.

I too would welcome the return, there is so much going on in the news which has an impact on us all, it can get a bit heated at times but generally I find it more boyish banter than anything, some do make mistakes and hopefully learn from them ...

Yes this is a soul site but I also find Current Affairs section not only interesting but educational at times also ...

The site is miles better without it.  Can you imagine what it would have been like this week with the migrant crisis?  There's no need for this section and it detracts from the rest of the site, and causes a lot of unnecessary rifts and arguments between people who wouldn't normally have a cross word to say to one another.  Keep it closed for good.

I too agree with Phily and would like it's return .However, it's clear to me that any topic that has anything to  do with "immigration" in any way shape or form is completely pointless to debate since too many seem to indulge in blatant propaganda to justify their views. I'm not advocating censorship just my own preferences should the forum continue.

I too agree with Phily and would like it's return .However, it's clear to me that any topic that has anything to  do with "immigration" in any way shape or form is completely pointless to debate since too many seem to indulge in blatant propaganda to justify their views. I'm not advocating censorship just my own preferences should the forum continue.

I much prefer us sending records and books to one another than shouting at one another on here :-)

I miss it. I thought it was fine. Not everyone's going to agree on everything but that's the whole point of debates isn't it? I too found it educational in some areas. If people aren't into it then they don't have to take part. I think it would be a shame to lose it personally.

Ian D :)

I miss it. I thought it was fine. Not everyone's going to agree on everything but that's the whole point of debates isn't it? I too found it educational in some areas. If people aren't into it then they don't have to take part. I think it would be a shame to lose it personally.

Ian D :)

I agree with Ian too (shocks!! ha ha Ian :D)….Mike is it a question of moderating CA, if so I am sure a few of the regular users could pool / share it in some way?   

I loved  the CA forum, but started to find it depressing if I'm honest. As regarding moderating it's almost impossible because contributing members didn't and don't follow guidelines, simple as that.

Nearly every thread in there returned constantly to immigration, whatever the original subject matter, and never a thought or care about what was being said and how it might affect other members. 

The best thing about current affairs is it's current, i.e. what's actually happening in the world today, whether it affects you or not.  As has been said, if it's not your bag, you don't have to take part.  If I see a topic that doesn't interest me I ignore it.  The thing about current affairs is there's bound to be something along shortly that is of interest.  It also brings my attention to something that I might have missed, and it's interesting to see different people's opinion on things, regardless of whether you agree with them or not.  There's a good cross section of members on here, different ages, backgrounds, professions, living in different regions, even different countries, all with different life experiences.  I would certainly miss it.

I miss it. There were some very well written and thought provoking posts that were illuminating and educational and it made a nice change to read something other than posts about 'comedy clothing and overplayed bootlegs versus 2nd rate funky shite' types of posts in the other sections. It was always a constant reminder that soul music is a great leveller for a diverse range of people with all sorts of views. Bloody immigrants, shagging our buses and driving our wimmin.

it made a nice change to read something other than posts about 'comedy clothing and overplayed bootlegs versus 2nd rate funky shite' types of posts in the other sections. 

…or hundreds of venues that you and I are never going to attend in a million years eh Jordi?

I loved  the CA forum, but started to find it depressing if I'm honest. As regarding moderating it's almost impossible because contributing members didn't and don't follow guidelines, simple as that.

Nearly every thread in there returned constantly to immigration, whatever the original subject matter, and never a thought or care about what was being said and how it might affect other members. 

1) the problem is the moderation theme set is blue peter style but for intensely adult topics so its never going to work as its not fit for the content discussed.

2) immigration was always going to be a major issue for people and this should be no surprise to anyone -  its a powder keg waiting to go off and has been for years with the Wests incresingly aggressive foreign policy. 

3) people have thick skins on the whole on here but there are a few who can and like to dish but cant take the return but thats life. 

Its just banter

Edited by JNixon

1) the problem is the moderation theme set is blue peter style but for intensely adult topics so its never going to work as its not fit for the content discussed.

2) immigration was always going to be a major issue for people and this should be no surprise to anyone -  its a powder keg waiting to go off and has been for years with the Wests incresingly aggressive foreign policy. 

3) people have thick skins on the whole on here but there are a few who can and like to dish but cant take the return but thats life. 

Its just banter

Jamie no its not just banter, the site does have legal responsibilities which do influence a lot of the moderation issues/decisions

I agree with Ian too (shocks!! ha ha Ian :D)….Mike is it a question of moderating CA, if so I am sure a few of the regular users could pool / share it in some way?   

nah Steve the main issue is the overall effect it has on site, lot of factors but it boills down to that really 

Edited by mike

Jamie no its not just banter, the site does have legal responsibilities which do influence a lot of the moderation issues/decisions

nah Steve the main issue is the overall effect it has on site, lot of factors but it boills down to that really 

Perhaps if this was better explained, people could better understand the situation. I can see and accept the legal issues point, but surely people who don't like the content don't bother accessing the forum. Most of the time issues don't raise as much bile as some of the OVO threads in other sections of the site.

Just popped back to Soulsource to see whats on in next few weeks ...find that Current Affairs sidelined.....I assume from reading this thread it is because of the migrant issue....well cannot say I am surprised.....some of the stuff I have read on here and on FB and even come across on "the scene" have left me disillusioned...some of the comments aired do not sit well with our love of BLACK music....seems the problem is ignorance is abroad...........not just the migrants.

ok Kegsy, what i mean by the 'the main issue is the overall effect it has on site' is
am looking at what would the site be like from all angles with or without the current affairs forum

simple as that really

my current view after two weeks without it is that I do feel that the negatives outweigh the positives

mike

Edited by mike

would be helpful to briefly explain what they are? 

my banter point youve answered was specifically linked to my point 3) not  something such as repeating some allegation being made in the papers or twitter etc. 

would be helpful to briefly explain what they are? 

my banter point youve answered was specifically linked to my point 3) not  something such as repeating some allegation being made in the papers or twitter etc. 

best keep this to the main thrust as this is a support thread about the return of the forum

thanks

mike

ok Kegsy, what i mean by the 'the main issue is the overall effect it has on site' is
am looking at what would the site be like from all angles with or without the current affairs forum

simple as that really

my current view after two weeks without it is that I do feel that the negatives outweigh the positives

mike

I agree with you Mike, you only need to see the post above yours from Bakunin - unable to post without dropping an insult - we can do without all this shite, close it down for good and let's put all our efforts into the rest of the site.

I agree with you Mike, you only need to see the post above yours from Bakunin - unable to post without dropping an insult - we can do without all this shite, close it down for good and let's put all our efforts into the rest of the site.

Lets also close The Sun, Daily Mail, Guardian and the BBC too while we are at it , :g:.

Those are newspapers not Soul Forums though

They are also means by which people get there news and information, and it is presented with a particular slant depending on which you read/watch. People in forums do exactly the same.

They are also means by which people get there news and information, and it is presented with a particular slant depending on which you read/watch. People in forums do exactly the same.

Won't bother arguing with you because I was once a staunch supporter of that particular forum, just changed my mind that's all

Won't bother arguing with you because I was once a staunch supporter of that particular forum, just changed my mind that's all

So because you personally have changed your mind, then it has to be shut down ?

Like others have mentioned, if you don't find it to your particular taste for whatever reason, then don't look at it ... simples !

Also if this site as you say is purely for soul related information, then I take it that Freebasing will also close ?

Have stated why I was looking at closing it

It does have a effect on the rest of site and as it had imo now reached a point where in its current form the negatives outweighed the positives then have decided to close it

I opened this up for members to pass on their views before making a decision, the decision has now been made

Thanks for all the views posted, they were helpful

thanks

mike

Have stated why I was looking at closing it

It does have a effect on the rest of site and as it had imo now reached a point where in its current form the negatives outweighed the positives then have decided to close it

I opened this up for members to pass on their views before making a decision, the decision has now been made

Thanks for all the views posted, they were helpful

thanks

mike

Hi Jordi

just bolded the bit above

as in It wont be returning

cheers

mike

Peter and all

if any members do have views either way on its return then now may be a good time to pass them on, as in before make final decision

thanks

mike

So virtually everybody who expressed a view wanted the forum to return and it still gets closed down.  :g:What was the point of asking for views ?.

So virtually everybody who expressed a view wanted the forum to return and it still gets closed down.  :g:What was the point of asking for views ?.

it wasn't a call to vote , i asked members for their views as i was interested in hearing them

as I have said imo the negatives of bringing it back outweighed the positives

So because you personally have changed your mind, then it has to be shut down ?

Like others have mentioned, if you don't find it to your particular taste for whatever reason, then don't look at it ... simples !

Also if this site as you say is purely for soul related information, then I take it that Freebasing will also close ?

No of course not.  If everyone else enjoys it then fine.  I won't read it. Just saying I don't like it anymore and don't think it does the site any favours.

Guest clanger v2

Might as well have just said:

"It's my ball and I don't want to play anymore....!"

Would have saved a bit of time at least....and not given the illusion that members views actually meant anything.

Might as well have just said:

"It's my ball and I don't want to play anymore....!"

Would have saved a bit of time at least....and not given the illusion that members views actually meant anything.

rubbish

as i said I was interested in hearing views if any before making a decision

Guest clanger v2

It's your site, so it's up to you what to do on it. No problem with that at all.

I just don't understand why you would offer members chance to air their views when your mind was clearly already made up.

As said all along

The decision was based on do the positives outweighed the negatives on its return or vice versa

I asked the mod team for their views and i asked in this thread for members views

Weighed up things and decided that it be best for the site if it did not return as imo the negatives outweighed the positives

Thats it

Edited by mike

Dunno, from my perspective CA was more interesting than reading endless rival inter-promotor bickering, "Roberts-bashing", "is this a bootleg Part 9,236?", "Look at my kids in NS clobber", "OVO v Laptop" and "People are bonkers -how does Manship get these ridiculous prices?" threads. In recent months Ive found I have spent less and less time on the non CA areas of the site.

Think it is a shame. But oh well. In the words of that NS classic:wink: "There's nothing else to say" if the decision has been made.   

Edited by Steve G

It's a shame. I do understand the difficulties though and it can take literally hours in terms of moderation - although Mike did amend/remove the moderating drain by just closing certain threads down. (and rightly so)

Pointless question really no that the decision has been made but it would have been interesting see some data on user frequency.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.