News: Soul Source - 18 Years On The Road

Mike

Blimey indeed. Congratulations. 'I bet you never thought' it would be around so long! 

cheers Carl

yep most definitely 'never thought'

was just a throw away spare time thing both back then and for the first x years

if only knew now what knew...  ha!  :D 

Social source share

An incredible achievement without a doubt. Congratulations, not just for achieving this milestone, but also for all the effort, dedication and patience that running this place must demand. As members I doubt we can appreciate to any real degree the amount of work that's required behind the scenes to maintain and manage what without a doubt is a fantastic place and an essential soul resource!

Social source share

Congratulations and keep up the good work!

thanks Chalky :thumbsup:

It's been a rocky road.........................:D

Well done Mike, and thanks. Best soul site on tinternet - easily.

Peter

:thumbsup:

thanks Peter  but I'd say nah more along lines of it has the best members :wink:

An incredible achievement without a doubt. Congratulations, not just for achieving this milestone, but also for all the effort, dedication and patience that running this place must demand. As members I doubt we can appreciate to any real degree the amount of work that's required behind the scenes to maintain and manage what without a doubt is a fantastic place and an essential soul resource!

thanks Russell, over time have always said its like the snake eating itself sketch, but now add each year the snake is getting smaller :D

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

What a fantastic achievement. I bet there have been many times when you've wondered, why do I bother, but I think I can speak for everyone, when I say "I'm glad you did".

My anniversary too this month, 10yrs as a member on 15th Sept.

Thanks to the whole team for all your efforts.

Kev

Social source share

I guess there's a lot of competition these days with Facebook etc, but for me Soul Source has always been the yardstick by which Soul Music forums (and arguably music forums of any kind) are measured. Long may it remain so thanks to the often unsung hard work from Mike and the team.

Many happy returns Soul Source.

Social source share

Yes well done Mike and the team......I wonder what the Scene will be like in another 18 years time :D

Had some great laughs on here over the years, and I've said this before, this site has enabled us to be in touch with other 'like minds' that we may never had chance to - Thanks.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Congratulations to Mike and the team, you made it the soul music site to visit, so many kind people producing articles about the artists and records and sharing their knowledge with others .  

Most people have a party to celebrate their 18th birthday, any such plans to celebrate the coming of age for SS? I think a drink or two is well deserved.

The venue we visit every Friday and Saturday are selected from the events forum on SS. Not bothered with other forums, I prefer steak to a burger.

Heaven knows how many hours the organisers and article contributors present and past have dedicated to keeping us informed; it is appreciated.

Atb

Stu 

Social source share

thanks for the all words :thumbsup:

usually try and avoid these sort of threads but f*** it, if we can't do this after 18 years then when can we

as said we are kicking on this month so expect a bit of a change on here

plus also  do have a few things planned to mark this occasion

competition for members with a few prizes starts tomorrow

along with the start of a series of articles looking back over the years here on soul source

anyway thanks again, all appreciated

mike

Social source share

Guest trickbag

Yes a big hip hip hooray to Mike and the mods past and present

for all their hard work and dedication to hold it all together,and

Mark Bicknell for continually plugging this site on his Soulful Shack

Radio show, miss his sunday night shows.

ricky.

Social source share

Manifesto Magazine put on a couple of successful events down in Gloucester during the 90's (All-dayers if I remember correctly) If you don't mind more work Mike, suggest you think about maybe putting on a big event to mark the 20th Anniversary 'The Soul-source 20th Anniversary' event of the year (etc)

(You would be able to fix the calendar so that no other event is listed on that particular night) :D

I'm sure it would be one heck of an occasion (Along with being good 'PR' for the site of course)

Food for thought :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Congratulations Mike. I know how hard you’ve worked on this over the years and, at times, it must’ve seemed more hassle than it was worth. Thanks for persevering. It’s come a long way since your late 90s one man reviews of The Dome and 100 Club, complete with descriptions of nightmare train journeys back to Chatham early on Sunday morning.

Social source share

Congrats on a great a site Mike.  -and thanks to mods, and everyone in the past who's contributed. 

I particularly love the historic content people enter i.e. fanzines, old record lists, photos etc . For people like myself, it's a first port of call for the important things in life... i.e. What's on?  / Can I really afford that record?! (of course not!), and passionate articles about the music /artists and top humour from forum regulars (you know who you are!).

ATB

Dave

Social source share

I guess there's a lot of competition these days with Facebook etc, but for me Soul Source has always been the yardstick by which Soul Music forums (and arguably music forums of any kind) are measured. Long may it remain so thanks to the often unsung hard work from Mike and the team.

Many happy returns Soul Source.

think facebook has been a blessing in disguise as far as the site is concerned , certainly a lot of  things out there that work better on facebook, if you follow my loose thinking

Yeah big congratulations Mike. I remember when you first started ss. You still played out regularly. It's taken over mate, don't see you now or very rarely. But to be honest your not missing that much. 

Steve

yep had to knock playing out on the head a couple - maybe its now a few - years ago
family and health and my real world life are my own main concerns nowadays Steve
the site is the exact same age as my youngest son which meant the focus on real world things has shifted as time has passed

Manifesto Magazine put on a couple of successful events down in Gloucester during the 90's (All-dayers if I remember correctly) If you don't mind more work Mike, suggest you think about maybe putting on a big event to mark the 20th Anniversary 'The Soul-source 20th Anniversary' event of the year (etc)(You would be able to fix the calendar so that no other event is listed on that particular night) :D

I'm sure it would be one heck of an occasion (Along with being good 'PR' for the site of course)

Food for thought :wink:

All the best,

never say never Len
though after seeing at close hand the various promotion issues via own attempts and the site think am not ready to put this on the site wunder list section yet

plus ain't all promoters 60+ nowadays

Congratulations Mike. I know how hard you’ve worked on this over the years and, at times, it must’ve seemed more hassle than it was worth. Thanks for persevering. It’s come a long way since your late 90s one man reviews of The Dome and 100 Club, complete with descriptions of nightmare train journeys back to Chatham early on Sunday morning.

a lot of that stuff is still up here including your modern soul contributions, darent read my efforts nowadays :D 

I had started off with the plan that I was going to comment on each post, have to give my apologies, the amount posted means that have had to sack that idea

So just another quick thanks to all 

There is a 18 year related no brains competition here, and a few other related things upcoming

thanks again :thumbsup:

mike

Edited by mike
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

It’s a shame you couldn’t somehow compile a ‘best of’ moments - An impossible task I think.

In saying this, one comedy moment that stuck with me was a ‘toe and toe’ between Pete S (Or Pete 99) and Robbo K…..

It was on a thread discussing The Superlatives, and that there was more than one group of the same name. It got a little heated, Robbo K stated that it was his picture of the said group that someone posted up etc etc - It came to a head with Pete S (or Pete 99) saying something like…….”Christ, are you a member of The Superiors?”…….(I thought that quite a cutting remark) But ‘quick as a flash’, Robbo K came back with……..”Which Superiors?”……Straight away, Pete came back with......":hatsoff2:"

Stuff like that is priceless. Thanks from me to all those that take the time to contribute - Maybe not all posts work (Guilty as charged!) but so what - Keep em coming! :wink:

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

It’s a shame you couldn’t somehow compile a ‘best of’ moments - An impossible task I think.

In saying this, one comedy moment that stuck with me was a ‘toe and toe’ between Pete S (Or Pete 99) and Robbo K…..

It was on a thread discussing The Superlatives, and that there was more than one group of the same name. It got a little heated, Robbo K stated that it was his picture of the said group that someone posted up etc etc - It came to a head with Pete S (or Pete 99) saying something like…….”Christ, are you a member of The Superiors?”…….(I thought that quite a cutting remark) But ‘quick as a flash’, Robbo K came back with……..”Which Superiors?”……Straight away, Pete came back with :hatsoff2:

Stuff like that is priceless. Thanks from me to all those that take the time to contribute - Maybe not all posts work (Guilty as charged!) but so what - Keep em coming! :wink:

All the best,

Hi Len

A "best of" would be great and made me smile! Impossible of course. I remember a few years back we had a thread running where some of us were writing a story - post at a time and trying to keep it coherent - that was funny. There was Moggy, Bearsy other's and me. 

I think the spat between RobbK regarding the Superlatives was PeteS. 

Hope yer well boss.

P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Len

A "best of" would be great and made me smile! Impossible of course. I remember a few years back we had a thread running where some of us were writing a story - post at a time and trying to keep it coherent - that was funny. There was Moggy, Bearsy other's and me. 

I think the spat between RobbK regarding the Superlatives was PeteS. 

Hope yer well boss.

P

Credit where credit's due Pete S :wink:

So many fun moments on here (reading as well as taking part) Shame I can't remember lots of them.

Social source share

This website has been a lot of fun for me, and I've learned a lot in the 9 years or so that I've been on here.  Too bad I was on the "wrong" NS website for 5-7 years before their demise and they only referred me to Soul-Source THEN.  Not that they didn't have a good site, I enjoyed my time there and learned some.  But this place had 10 times the traffic, and a lot more resources, and artists and DJs as posters.  I can't imagine this site stopping and changing to Facebook.  I hope that never happens.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

This website has been a lot of fun for me, and I've learned a lot in the 7 years or so that I've been on here.  Too bad I was on the "wrong" NS website for 5-7 years before their demise and they only referred me to Soul-Source THEN.  Not that they didn't have a good site, I enjoyed my time there and learned some.  But this place had 10 times the traffic, and a lot more resources, and artists and DJs as posters.  I can't imagine this site stopping and changing to Facebook.  I hope that never happens.

Hi Robb

Lots of really interesting "freebasing" stuff too - cartoons, drawings and paintings. Loved some of your stuff.

I hope all is well with you.

Peter

Social source share

Everything's going very well.  I'm doing a lot of work for Danish Disney (which pays a lot more than the Dutch office, so I'm in good shape).  I had plans to stop in London on my way back from Canada to Holland back at the beginning of June, to visit Ady and the gang at Ace/Kent, but I couldn't swing it (but several of them were away on holiday, anyway).  I hope to stop there maybe next May.  Perhaps I'll be able to meet some of the other Londoners on this website, as well.  And maybe I'll make a trip up to Manchester, as well.I hope to visit Stockholm and have an extended stay in Finland next summer, as well.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All of the above and more.
I don't post much but I look a lot.
As I get reminded on a daily basis I know bugger all about soul music except what I like,
and I don't care. More to the point I don't think any of you do either. I get to listen and learn from the best.

What I get most from here is the fact that Limeyness is still thriving. NYC was an amazing place when I got here, just as London was.
They are now both pale shadows of their former glory. I always missed something about the English that makes them very special
and even though I can't live it much anymore, I can read it.
So thank you Mike and all of you who brighten up my days. Long may you continue.:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!