TWO THINGS THAT ARE KILLING THE SOUL SCENE

Speedlimit

Was discussing the crazy prices of classics with a friend the other night. He thought that maybe the recent release of people's pension funds could be a contributing factor. There certainly seems to be a plethora of people with a lot of spare cash. If only I was one of them. :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We are killing the soul scene. With I don't know what. Take myself for instance at the weekend, . I worked 12 hours Saturday and Sunday, had Monday Off. Was supposed to be going Swinton nighter Sunday, but wasn't feeling to clever so I stayed in. And I love Swinton. A few year's ago you would have had to nail my feet to the floor to stop me going out if I was ill or not. Or Are we just getting old. 

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Natural forces will see a return to normality. People won't pay £600.00 for an Epitome of Sound and promoters will lose money with empty venues. We've seen it before it's nothing new, what will kill the scene perhaps will be the 1000s and 1000s of old soulies leaving the scene with perhaps a few hundred younger soul fans still hanging on. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm relatively young, just 36, ish.... And I've seen this a few times, So to quote a famous book, and the opening line of the a certain film

"All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again" ...

and if you can imagine that said in a very eloquent way over the Joe 80 Theme, that may go some way to explain the wired parallel universe that is Northern soul.... 

Mel.B 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i think the bowlers event this weekend will be a good yard stick to how the scene is progressing huge venue easily capable of 4000 + punters great mixture of dj and promoters and 4 rooms of different styles of soul music. wish the promoters every success with this promotion and gets a the scene behind it looking forward to it myself and turns into a regular event. from the dj line up its not gonna be a northern soul top 100 songs event. great venue been there before for a none northern event   

Social source share

i think the bowlers event this weekend will be a good yard stick to how the scene is progressing huge venue easily capable of 4000 + punters great mixture of dj and promoters and 4 rooms of different styles of soul music. wish the promoters every success with this promotion and gets a the scene behind it looking forward to it myself and turns into a regular event. from the dj line up its not gonna be a northern soul top 100 songs event. great venue been there before for a none northern event   

I,m working weekend again. Another nighter missed.

Steve

Social source share

The internet!!

People used to have to travel to a leading allnighters to hear and learn all the new monster sounds.

Now anyone can sit at home and listen to them!

The internet has enabled people who had a very limited knowledge about records, to become very clued up about them without going to allnighters.     

This has given them the confidence to be DJ's, and start there own soul nights, instead of travelling to major venues.

Maybe this has helped caused the demise of the big allnighters and the rise in local Soul nights.

I remember the days when most people who did not go to nighters knew hardly anything about current records, and didn't have a clue what was going on!!! 

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The internet!!

People used to have to travel to a leading allnighters to hear and learn all the new monster sounds.

Now anyone can sit at home and listen to them!

The internet has enabled people who had a very limited knowledge about records, to become very clued up about them without going to allnighters.     

This has given them the confidence to be DJ's, and start there own soul nights, instead of travelling to major venues.

Maybe this has helped caused the demise of the big allnighters and the rise in local Soul nights.

I remember the days when most people who did not go to nighters knew hardly anything about current records, and didn't have a clue what was going on!!! 

Some people who don't go to all-nighters still know hardly anything about records etc...

Social source share

Some people who don't go to all-nighters still know hardly anything about records etc...

And some people who do go to all-nighters still know hardly anything about records etc.  There are people that just go to have a good time, they wouldn't know the value of some of the records being spun or who the artists are or were.  I remember a few years back being asked whilst giving Dave Rimmer a hand at the 100 Club if he had a copy of the Yum Yums, it had just been spun, when I told the chap what a realistic price might be he almost fainted.  

If you're not happy with the night(s) you attend you have the option of not going again, find somewhere that plays the music you want to hear, has the right atmosphere and makes you want to go back for more.  Sooner or later the events that are losing money from lack of attendance will close. Sadly some of the better ones may go the same way as old age creeps up on the promoters that have been doing the job right for many years, but there are some knowledgeable youngsters out there that will step up to the plate when the time comes and carry the scene forward, at least I hope so. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've noticed when I go to nighters I hear records and think 'not heard that for a while' and cant remember the artist or name of the tune; as the night progresses and the amber slides down I seem to become more forgetful (a possible correlation). Shazam rarely helps because the tunes are often rare releases or unrealeased tunes played off acetates. It would be good if more DJ's listed their sets on here so I don't need to rely on my inconsistent memory.....

Then the magic moment when I hear a tune I've not heard before and the 'wow, got to get myself a copy of that' thought enters the head; I note down the details by asking the DJ. More often than not I can't find a copy for sale or the cost is so high I can't afford it; but just occasionally I find a copy at an affordable price and I buy it. :thumbsup: 

Those moments tell me the scene is in good health, alive and kicking.

In contrast I hear Stanky played at a venue and my heart sinks and the thought 'I'm not sure I want to stay here until late' enters the head; realistically the DJ must play to all sections of the audience and I accept that some tunes will disappoint; but provided some interesting tunes are played (ie even if I don't like em = modern/crossover) I am content.   

I am working until 10pm on Saturday but I will try to persuade the missus we need to go to Bowlers afterwards. Fingers crossed she agrees. :) BRING ON THE WEEKEND

Social source share

The Rare Soul Scene on its last legs ? How many years will it keep going, I wonder.  Years of the same records being played over and over again, not enough decent venues playing different, forgotten, underplayed gems, too many DJ's with large egos and tunnel vision, and hundreds of narrow minded, blinkered oldies and R&B boys haven't helped, not to mention there being around 200 Soul Nites on every weekend, most playing the old tired and tested !!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The Rare Soul Scene on its last legs ? How many years will it keep going, I wonder.  Years of the same records being played over and over again, not enough decent venues playing different, forgotten, underplayed gems, too many DJ's with large egos and tunnel vision, and hundreds of narrow minded, blinkered oldies and R&B boys haven't helped, not to mention there being around 200 Soul Nites on every weekend, most playing the old tired and tested !!

In the early nineties some great R&B was being played by DJ's like Carl Willingham, and Roger Banks. Problem was it wasn't accepted by the vast majority and effectively cleared the floor at many niters. As a consequence people turned to R&B clubs such as the hugely popular 'Hideaway' and second rooms at venues such as Middleton niter which attracted large numbers. If narrow mindedness was an issue, it wasn't on the part of those who enjoyed their R&B. My own preference has always been for - even though I dislike the term - 'Across the board venues' that play quality music of all genres including R&B. If someone can point me in the direction of somewhere that truly adopts this policy I may be tempted into giving it a go.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest johnny hart

hi Speedy,my thoughts. Of course NS venues are giant nostalgia events,its what the punters want to hear the same golden memories{ditto the birth of the scene when we would travel just to listen to those top sounds} .There are underplayed ,rare,forgotten,newies rooms,failing that promote an event yourself? the death knell ,the end times are coming well inevitably ,as the NS populace approach senility is their life after death? I Think not none of the hip ,savvy teenagers I encounter would be stupid enough to pay ,or play £5,000 for Margarets Little Nursey rhyme or even less inclined to turn on to robert & Uptights "Kick" .On your 2nd point totally agree the prices paid are sheer stupidity .But what do we know Speedy just this month whitby,Scarborough etc and 100s of soul nights doing the biz! good thread love agood "rant" LOL Johnny

Social source share

Promoters could do their bit in making things better particularly with the large events

I recently saw a post plugging a Notts Palais allnighter on 27/12 with seperate prices for advance tickets or pay on the door

No way should there be a pay on the door option at an event like this in the centre of Nottingham. Anyone who has been in Nottingham when the pubs kick out will know it's a complete free for all - it only takes a couple of idiots to ruin a night

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A few years back everyone wanted to DJ now everyone wants to promote as well, one sure way of getting on the mic

It's a vicious circle, if you don't invite everyone and their dog to Dj at your event, they won't come to support it. Simple as that. Even if your event has the best music in the world, people will definitely NOT come. 

I tried it

Social source share

It's a vicious circle, if you don't invite everyone and their dog to Dj at your event, they won't come to support it. Simple as that. Even if your event has the best music in the world, people will definitely NOT come. 

I tried it

Didn't somebody also have a stand in dog, or was that somewhere else. :g:

Social source share

Guest kev such

I nearly spat my tea out when I read the txt sent me that Epitome of Sound had gone for a grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!   And Im a tea connoisseur so wouldnt waste it generally. I have absolutely no idea why tunes have gone bonkers in price. I bet the percentage of their rise in purchase price ( not value ) must be greater than property in relation. Did it start when a boot of Jimmy Mack went for £152.00, or has the film and over exposer on TV and media been a contributing factor? Probably, probably not. The worse thing is that WILL the prices for tunes paid for a vast majority set a precedance in the furture or as in house prices will the bubble explode? Will the price guide books etc... be ammended and show these totally rediculously inflated prices in them from now on? Then again a tune is SURELY only worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. I noticed a post on FB a while ago where someone stated that "I dont buy originals as they are TOO expensive so I dj with copies, they sound the same"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOO many events?  I suppose, are they having a diverse effect?  I didnt used to think they did, but they do. The monthly events with the SAME 5 guys playing the SAME tunes every month. Whats the bloody point? In February at Cream Cracker the guest dj's were from Bristol, Somerset, Gloucester, Kettering and Wellingborough, . Quiet a good mix of guests I thought all bringing tunes we wouldnt normally hear locally ( To me). We had less than 70 people in, which as arrogant as this is, was a miserable turnout for Cream Cracker ( we get 75 each time, at least). People didnt attend as there was a local ( to them ) event on playing Motown etc... or they didnt recognise any of the dj's. And there in lies the hub. We have gotten into a trap of as was previously stated "Blinkered" mentallity. Where the vast majority of people WILL only attend an event on their doorstep ( and if its on EVERY month and they know what they are getting) why should they travel further than the end of their town? Also when you get monthly events with the same guys on and only charge £2 or so entry, if you have top of their game, upcoming or travelling DJ's who's expenses you need to cover as a promoter you are on a losing game before you open your doors.  For a good portion of promoters its never been about prestige or money. But you have to as a promoter make your guests journey, no matter how far that may be, be financially viable and worthy of the tunes they bring with them. OK OK so I'll be slated for saying that and I dare say we all do it for the love etc... However what I mean is simply that if a guest has travelled however far to come to your club,  as a promoter you're not expecting them to do it for free. And if the majority of your crowd have decided to go to the Monthly, across the board Motown et al event the weeks either side of your event you may ned to go to the cashpoint to cover your costs. Thats the point at which its not fun anymore.

Kev ( dont do modern) Such

Social source share

Not too far away with that Kev, ive said for a long time a lot of these retro punters (who are never on these forums so you cant have a row with them) only know maybe 10 songs and that's all they want to know, so its easy music plenty of drink and a quick walk (side-ways) home. You can then tell all your workmates your a northern soulie  right on

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some 40 odd years ago when I first got into it I would never have imagined that in 2015 both  myself and the scene would still be around and for that I am eternally grateful  , I would have thought that as we all matured and possibly got more sophisticated the scene would have evolved it,s dissapointing that it has,nt . 

Dont get me wrong still love going out when I can and usually have a good night but the poor costume re-enactment crowd and the media intrusions and You tube vids all lead to a feeling that the whole thing is being compromised  to such an extent that it can only lead to its eventual demise .

I share your sentiments. I understand that things change and evolve, but i think that what's missing is a focal point. Wigan was really the last regular weekly venue that still had a crowd pulling power as it had a mystique about it as well as an unforgettable atmosphere, and although other venues such as the Clifton Hall and Stafford admirably picked up the pieces and kept the scene going it was never the same. It's quite ironic that you often here and read comments that the  scene is healthier and better  than ever, so why so much discontentment? 

Social source share

I share your sentiments. I understand that things change and evolve, but i think that what's missing is a focal point. Wigan was really the last regular weekly venue that still had a crowd pulling power as it had a mystique about it as well as an unforgettable atmosphere, and although other venues such as the Clifton Hall and Stafford admirably picked up the pieces and kept the scene going it was never the same. It's quite ironic that you often here and read comments that the  scene is healthier and better  than ever, so why so much discontentment? 

"Wigan was the last regular focal point ... "              ... that'll be the sort of comment that'll do it no end of good ... :thumbsup: 

Obviously another from "oop narth" that's never dared or been bothered to make the journey to Oxford Street at any point in the last 36 years ... :g:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!