TWO THINGS THAT ARE KILLING THE SOUL SCENE

Speedlimit

plenty of excellent quality records on your own label Dave, not least the up coming JB Bingham unreleased track.  Enough material IMO to do a quality set  

New release wise, one recent track I've taken to is Evette Busby - Not Here Not Now, decent dancer IMO.

60's wise if uptempo Northern is your thing, from Secret Stash "The Sharpees - Take me tomyour leader" and an Otis Clay track that came as. Abonus 45 with one of the Lp's, title escapes me, begins with "Show" I think.

Also two 45's on Soul 7 by the Uptites.  Other titles on Kent etc as well.

Records are out there but snobbery takes over with many as they are a tenner and recent releaes although often unreleased 60's.  But unreleased material will probably be the main source of material for the upfront scene as to progresses with very little coming out via new finds or studio acetates.

If this material isn't utilised then we will become a retro scene right across the genres/factions. 

Carl , I like the Evette Busby - is it a vinyl release ?

Social source share

It is a good modern tune.

However it is totally UNSUITABLE for a northern night.

Just listened to it on you tube. I've heard it before on podcasts too and see what you mean Steve. However, there are previously unreleased tracks that are suitable for a northern night that I don't think are played out because they're not on vinyl like the Dee Dee Warwick mentioned on the previous page.

Social source share

Just listened to it on you tube. I've heard it before on podcasts too and see what you mean Steve. However, there are previously unreleased tracks that are suitable for a northern night that I don't think are played out because they're not on vinyl like the Dee Dee Warwick mentioned on the previous page.

That is exactly my point. You could probably count the number of DJs on the northern scene playing the previously unissued stuff on a couple of hands, while the other 12,864 DJs on the northern scene don't and will never. Yet they'll sell their grandchildren to get their hits on a copy of The Tomangoes. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Kegsy in reply to your question I was on about the whole scene  . as Steve .g's stated is fragmented beyond repair , which I blame mainly on past big promoters  bowing to the oldies fest. If said promoter's had grown a pair and kept all gerne's under one roof then the new discoveries would have probably been accepted more openly instead of a small minority of us who be it 60's 70's or up todate try and get these sounds accepted. There have only been a hand  full of promoters willing to push the boundaries  Ady with the 100 club ,Dave with Stafford Mick , Andy,& Chalky with life line ,the Burnley boys etc. I also attend the modern room at venues some blinding stuff played pity the mass's wont accept it . Their loss our gain .  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Kegsy in reply to your question I was on about the whole scene  . as Steve .g's stated is fragmented beyond repair , which I blame mainly on past big promoters  bowing to the oldies fest. If said promoter's had grown a pair and kept all gerne's under one roof then the new discoveries would have probably been accepted more openly instead of a small minority of us who be it 60's 70's or up todate try and get these sounds accepted. There have only been a hand  full of promoters willing to push the boundaries  Ady with the 100 club ,Dave with Stafford Mick , Andy,& Chalky with life line ,the Burnley boys etc. I also attend the modern room at venues some blinding stuff played pity the mass's wont accept it . Their loss our gain .  

Thanks for the clarification, I'm glad to see its the scene as a whole you worry about, and I have plenty of sympathy with you on the top 100 oldies being played all the time. That's not the type of scene I would/would have enjoyed.

Social source share

Its an interesting view….but surely the big promotors are just pandering to what the public want? Nothing more nothing less. The fact that they can get 1,500 people to turn up and pay at an oldies event says more about the public and what they want to spend their hard earned money on than it says about the promotors.

People go out for what they think will be a good night / weekend out….that is what it is about isn't it? The vast majority seem to be more interested in dancing to the (very) familiar than they are about hearing something new / exciting, record collecting etc. In that regard the NS oldies scene is no different to wider society. Amongst my "civilian" friends aged 50+ very few of them have any interest in anything new musically. If Genesis or Status Quo are doing a revival bore, they're creaming their pants trying to get tickets. Maybe we have to admit that for most people, they only want to hear the soundtrack of their youth.

Interesting you mention the 100 Club. I can remember in the early days of its popularity London was awash with cash ins - 2nd and 3rd division DJs / mod renegades etc. putting on northern soul nights everywhere in town. But all of the cash in nights soon died out. We had fire in our bellies and people voted with their (discerning) feet, and supported the club that was authentic and the 100 Club won out.

The battle for a forward thinking progressive soul scene in this country was lost many years ago and is now limited to a few pockets as you say. It's not worth getting upset about. Honest.

sad but true, the very term scene, in relationship to northrn is a misnomer.

Social source share

Dee Dee Warwick soon to be available on vinyl very soon  :shhh:

Dave

Social source share

I'm very open to hearing new music whether it be new release / or previously unreleased, but first and foremost - it has to be good (Don't forget, some records weren't released for a reason)

Thanks for listing those tracks Dave. I've been a 'busy bee' today, so will have a listen later and post my honest opinion - but at the same time trying to steer it away from the 'round and round in circles' personal taste argument (I know my taste is correct) :D I hope others also have a listen with an open mind.

I liked what you mentioned about D.Jing not always being a comfortable place when simply trying to share more of this great music with others, only to be vilified by some for doing so - Shame that, but stick at it folks :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I didn't mean to give the impression that Evette Busby was ok for a northern venue, it isn't but I'd probably slip it in if doing a first hour set ;)

i've often featured preciously unreleased new releases.  I played the forthcoming JB Bingham at last lifeline, sound great too.  I've played Secret Stash 45's, Sharpees and the Otis Clay I mentioned plus stuff like the Valdons. I've played the Uptites, Notations (That Girl), Kent releases and others to a full dancefloor who probably couldn't care less at the time.  It is more a problem for some on forums and social media who would sooner criticise from behind a keyboard with a user name so they can't be identified, generally it isn't a problem on the shop floor.  The biggest moans come from people who don't seem to support the scene except from their armchair yet they seem to get listened to the most for some strange reason.

If a record is good enough I will play it. I couldn't (and never have) given a toss what others think.  The original ethos of the scene is getting a little out dated especially as new material is getting almost impossible to come by. Some won't be happy until we are totally retro right across the scene.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I fully understand why some people (myself included) don't want the 'Northern Soul Top 500' played over and over again, but  we have to be careful not to forget that they are top records (Hence the description 'Top') :wink: Too much negative talk about them could cause some people to write them off completely, thinking it may not be seen as 'cool' to listen to them.

They are great records, and I still want to hear them - In an ideal world, along with everything else.

What a record this still is!........Not sure what number it is in the Top 500 this week :wink:

All the best,

'The Steve Karmen Big Band - Breakaway'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEzCoDh1Zk 

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm very open to hearing new music whether it be new release / or previously unreleased, but first and foremost - it has to be good (Don't forget, some records weren't released for a reason)

Thanks for listing those tracks Dave. I've been a 'busy bee' today, so will have a listen later and post my honest opinion - but at the same time trying to steer it away from the 'round and round in circles' personal taste argument (I know my taste is correct) :D I hope others also have a listen with an open mind.

I liked what you mentioned about D.Jing not always being a comfortable place when simply trying to share more of this great music with others, only to be vilified by some for doing so - Shame that, but stick at it folks :wink:

All the best,

Here you Len

Try tuning into some of these show to hear some of the newer soul output:

Mick O'Donnelly's Soul Discovery Show (Solar Radio)

Mark Merry's Soul Sermon Mix Up (Starpoint Radio)

Steve Guarnori's Soul Time Show (Solar Radio)

Dave Thorley's Crossing The Tracks Show

Plus Laurence from Soul Brother Records does a Sunday morning show on solar which highlights all the new vinyl and cd releases.

Plus a shed load of other radio shows which can all be found in the Soul Media section on Soul Source.

You ain't gonna like everything you hear but if you can pick up on a couple of tracks per show then all the better.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I didn't mean to give the impression that Evette Busby was ok for a northern venue, it isn't but I'd probably slip it in if doing a first hour set ;)

i've often featured preciously unreleased new releases.  I played the forthcoming JB Bingham at last lifeline, sound great too.  I've played Secret Stash 45's, Sharpees and the Otis Clay I mentioned plus stuff like the Valdons. I've played the Uptites, Notations (That Girl), Kent releases and others to a full dancefloor who probably couldn't care less at the time.  It is more a problem for some on forums and social media who would sooner criticise from behind a keyboard with a user name so they can't be identified, generally it isn't a problem on the shop floor.  The biggest moans come from people who don't seem to support the scene except from their armchair yet they seem to get listened to the most for some strange reason.

If a record is good enough I will play it. I couldn't (and never have) given a toss what others think.  The original ethos of the scene is getting a little out dated especially as new material is getting almost impossible to come by. Some won't be happy until we are totally retro right across the scene.

Quite right Chalky.

I love the oldies, but The Sharpees (take me to your leader) and Ringleaders (grin and bear it) were recorded a long time ago and only recently released; they have that beat and feel of an oldie and I would be happy to hear a DJ to put those in a set. I struggle with the Ruby Andrews (just loving you), Bettye Swan (Kiss my love goodbye) etc ballad type tunes, they are nice to hear in the car travelling to and from an event; but please spare me when I am at the event. Its a matter of taste and can't imagine you would play the popular ballads at an event except under protest or the threat of menaces. :)

Social source share

O.K Len

Go and find (goole) these these out:

Joyce Elaine Yuille   "Just Say Goodbye"

Victor Hayes  "Picking Myself Up"

Natural Resources "If There Were No You"

E.R.I.C Life's A Mess

Dee Dee Warwick   "You Tore My Wall Down"

All currently or soon to be available at a very affordable price.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

I could only locate two from your list -

'Joyce Elaine Yuille - Just Say Goodbye'…..I know this one, Esther Philips can’t be beat, but I like it, and it does have that ‘play it again (Soul) Sam’ effect  - It’s a ‘7 from Len’ on this one Dave :D

'Natural Resources - If There Were No You'…..A pleasant enough tune that I would enjoy at a Sunday Soul Session in the background whilst having a drink with me mates.

The main problem of getting ‘everything together’ (as Steve G touched upon), is that some people like ‘Northern Soul’, and others simply like ‘Soul’ - Never the twain shall meet these days it seems……Although those of us that do enjoy both will keep on trying :wink:

Thanks again Dave.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Soul scene is thriving in my lounge just played these to my greyhound.

Moods-"Neither one of us"

Howard Tate-"These are the things that make me know you're gone"

The Upperhand Band-"Get it together"

Peace on Earth-"Love foundation"

The Dramatics-"Stop your weeping" with Rena Scott doing the weeping.

No complaints from my hound:thumbsup:

I'll be doggone :thumbsup:

Social source share

Agree Phil - The examples were defo not event plays (Dave knows that)

What the 'argument' is, is that the 'Top 500' events would most certainly enjoy other not so well known dance records, along side their tried and tested (I'm sure of that) :wink:

All the best,

Social source share

Agree Phil - The examples were defo not event plays (Dave knows that)

What the 'argument' is, is that the 'Top 500' events would most certainly enjoy other not so well known dance records, along side their tried and tested (I'm sure of that) :wink:

All the best,

Beg pardon Len

But from that list I gave you I played Joyce Elaine Yuille and Dee De Warwick at a allnighter on Saturday night.

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Think a lot that keep bemoaning the 'Top 500' should remember that if it wasn't for these records, you wouldn't have even bothered looking for the rest. Too much time spent in my opinion trying to get people interested in half baked mediocre Soul Records! some of the top 500 records are just brilliant end of. That's not to say that's all people want to hear! even among the 'great unwashed mass out there' who some on here believe that they only have 'Frank Wilson' on the loop on their ipod. I have spoken to some of these people and they know about a lot of tunes! just they can decipher between, a listening session at home and having a good old dance out! There were quite a few like that at The 'Attic' on Saturday, they even danced to some of Len's records and quite liked them :thumbup:. Just get out there folks you have got to be in it to win it!

Edited by Jem Britttin
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Me thinks you have a vested interest in pushing this so called "new" music Dave. 

There's an awful lot of people like myself, who have spent many years going to allnighter's and soul nights, looking to hear something new that makes you say the immortal words " wow! What the fcuk is that, it's brilliant" and rushing onto the dance floor to try and express that emotion.

Last time I went to a nighter I couldn't actually tell whether the music was good, bad, or indifferent, the sound system was so badly set up it was just a noise.

There's nobody playing anything new that I want to hear, but I'm still entitled to my opinion. I've served my time on the dance floor thank you, and I know a good record when I hear one.

Not heard a new one in a long time though.

Social source share

Me thinks you have a vested interest in pushing this so called "new" music Dave. 

There's an awful lot of people like myself, who have spent many years going to allnighter's and soul nights, looking to hear something new that makes you say the immortal words " wow! What the fcuk is that, it's brilliant" and rushing onto the dance floor to try and express that emotion.

Last time I went to a nighter I couldn't actually tell whether the music was good, bad, or indifferent, the sound system was so badly set up it was just a noise.

There's nobody playing anything new that I want to hear, but I'm still entitled to my opinion. I've served my time on the dance floor thank you, and I know a good record when I hear one.

Not heard a new one in a long time though.

Hi Phil

I too know a lot of people who have spent their whole teenage and adult life on this scene (over 50 years in some cases) who have never been away from albeit a fortnight's holiday in Spain who are totally bored shitless with hearing the same old tired sounds (top 500) and who are beginning to question their continued involvement with the scene. People who have the majority of the top 500 in their record collections, people who have grown with the music who can appeciate and collect black soul music of all tempo's and styles from the 60's through to the present. As the old adage goes 'Variety is the spice of life' but unfortunately if you can only appreciate 100mph stompers then your taste becomes somewhat limited, but as you say that is your perogative which I don't really have a problem with,each to their own. Both the northern and modern/crossover scenes used to be driven by the discovery and playing of new music (some tracks stood the test of time, some didn't), you take this factor out of the equation and what you are left with is a stagnet scene. Ring any bells ?

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi Phil

I too know a lot of people who have spent their whole teenage and adult life on this scene (over 50 years in some cases) who have never been away from albeit a fortnight's holiday in Spain who are totally bored shitless with hearing the same old tired sounds (top 500) and who are beginning to question their continued involvement with the scene. People who have the majority of the top 500 in their record collections, people who have grown with the music who can appeciate and collect black soul music of all tempo's and styles from the 60's through to the present. As the old adage goes 'Variety is the spice of life' but unfortunately if you can only appreciate 100mph stompers then your taste becomes somewhat limited, but as you say that is your perogative which I don't really have a problem with,each to their own. Both the northern and modern/crossover scenes used to be driven by the discovery and playing of new music (some tracks stood the test of time, some didn't), you take this factor out of the equation and what you are left with is a stagnet scene. Ring any bells ?

Dave

yes it does mate, that's why I don't go out anymore. Why keep trying to breath live into something that's already dead?

Social source share

Hi Dave,

I could only locate two from your list -

'Joyce Elaine Yuille - Just Say Goodbye'…..I know this one, Esther Philips can’t be beat, but I like it, and it does have that ‘play it again (Soul) Sam’ effect  - It’s a ‘7 from Len’ on this one Dave :D

'Natural Resources - If There Were No You'…..A pleasant enough tune that I would enjoy at a Sunday Soul Session in the background whilst having a drink with me mates.

The main problem of getting ‘everything together’ (as Steve G touched upon), is that some people like ‘Northern Soul’, and others simply like ‘Soul’ - Never the twain shall meet these days it seems……Although those of us that do enjoy both will keep on trying :wink:

Thanks again Dave.

All the best,

Play that Natural Resources a couple of times  Len and you'll be hooked, it's a beauty; blatant plug.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Beg pardon Len

But from that list I gave you I played Joyce Elaine Yuille and Dee De Warwick at a allnighter on Saturday night.

Dave

Yeh I take that back Dave. I gave Joyce Elaine Yuille a '7', and although I would prefer to hear Esther Philips at an event, no doubt you could also play that in the interests of 'something different defo not scraping the barrel'. This type of thing does stimulate - different versions excite a lot of people :wink:

Ady has said that Natural Resources track is a grower (more than a Sunday Soul Session track) Fair enough - I'll give that more of a shot than I did.

Open mind is good! 

All the best,

Edit! - I was listening to this! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oai5vWQtXn4 Hence my Sunday Soul Session comment! 

So to clarify - The 'Natural Resources - If There Were No You'…is f*cin' brilliant! - and guess what? I know it! (Damn me and my titles!) 

Ahem :hatsoff2:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Smart arse (sorry could resist that one:P) some did, some didn't and low and behold some even came up to the decks to find out what they was :ohmy:

Dave

Hi Dave,does the Bobby Moore - What is that you got? - fit into the topic you're referring to.? Or am i off the mark,again.:)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yeah totally agree, dead right same old thing the same old way. Good for the masses bad for the few. It's all about the Glitz now the bigger the better, big venue, big DJ s, big oldies guaranteed Woweeeeee, TV ads, in the sun, at BBQ's, on a cruise. Next is NS Quizzes and Karaoke just to top it off. Big adverts everywhere,Facebook, twitter, big bags,big dance competition, big ego's and big money. Big booooooooooooooooooooore. But leave em to it, will still keep searching and playing fresh stuff when anybody wants to listen, at home with no bright lights and fan club.It's all  about the  (MUSIC) yep simple as that, well it's enough for some of us, the few that is. What ever turns you on, just do it. .Everyone to their own I suppose !!!!!!!!!. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Yeah totally agree, dead right same old thing the same old way. Good for the masses bad for the few. It's all about the Glitz now the bigger the better, big venue, big DJ s, big oldies guaranteed Woweeeeee, TV ads, in the sun, at BBQ's, on a cruise. Next is NS Quizzes and Karaoke just to top it off. Big adverts everywhere,Facebook, twitter, big bags,big dance competition, big ego's and big money. Big booooooooooooooooooooore. But leave em to it, will still keep searching and playing fresh stuff when anybody wants to listen, at home with no bright lights and fan club.It's all  about the  (MUSIC) yep simple as that, well it's enough for some of us, the few that is. What ever turns you on, just do it. .Everyone to their own I suppose !!!!!!!!!. 

love it, spot on:hatsoff2::lol:

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This punter likes my music.

IMG_0203.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!