TWO THINGS THAT ARE KILLING THE SOUL SCENE

Speedlimit

My Tuppence worth...

I was around Early to mid seventies ...Raised on Torch classics ..Then .Wigan, Notts P  Ivo  etc 74-79 and now I`m getting closer to 60yrs old  than 50.

Why do I still go to the niters and selective events ? because I still love to dance!! BUT I am an oldies fan only no interest in modern or anything else and that`s because for 4-8 hrs I can  re-capture my youth and live the  dream once again dancing and singing along to the only real music in the World  Northern soul classics and once or twice a month that escape from everyday reality is just the ticket.... just like it was when I first started. If you are selective there are great events be it Classics, Modern or anything in between. The scene today is still strong just be selective and stay true to your roots . The calander has far too many also ran events and spending a fortune on records doesn`t give a God given right to call yourself a DJ!! Sets have to be put together and at the venues I choose ( Kings Hall, Grosvenor Rooms, Stables club, St Ives, Nuneaton,  X fire etc etc They are ....most of the time. 

So I pays my money happily and enjoy the night ignoring the comments of "they only play the top 100/500 tunes"  Etc ...Errr that`s why I go IF they played stuff I had never heard the I wouldn`t be there...It aint broke so stop trying to fix it ...Rant over.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My Tuppence worth...

The calander has far too many also ran events and spending a fortune on records doesn`t give a God given right to call yourself a DJ!! 

..It aint broke so stop trying to fix it ...Rant over.

Are you saying there being too many events / and too many people who think spending a fortune on records makes them a D.J are  bad things, but generally speaking the Scene is good for you?

I think the first parts are what some people think is damaging (Whilst others think it's good to have more of a 'healthy' choice)

Good on you for still enjoying your music all these years later - Staying true to your roots :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

My Tuppence worth...

I was around Early to mid seventies ...Raised on Torch classics ..Then .Wigan, Notts P  Ivo  etc 74-79 and now I`m getting closer to 60yrs old  than 50.

Why do I still go to the niters and selective events ? because I still love to dance!! BUT I am an oldies fan only no interest in modern or anything else and that`s because for 4-8 hrs I can  re-capture my youth and live the  dream once again dancing and singing along to the only real music in the World  Northern soul classics and once or twice a month that escape from everyday reality is just the ticket.... just like it was when I first started. If you are selective there are great events be it Classics, Modern or anything in between. The scene today is still strong just be selective and stay true to your roots . The calander has far too many also ran events and spending a fortune on records doesn`t give a God given right to call yourself a DJ!! Sets have to be put together and at the venues I choose ( Kings Hall, Grosvenor Rooms, Stables club, St Ives, Nuneaton,  X fire etc etc They are ....most of the time. 

So I pays my money happily and enjoy the night ignoring the comments of "they only play the top 100/500 tunes"  Etc ...Errr that`s why I go IF they played stuff I had never heard the I wouldn`t be there...It aint broke so stop trying to fix it ...Rant over.

my view on why the Northern Scene is dying is because of what you describe above. This doesn't look to me like the Northern Scene, it is a nostalgia scene created by large promoters to provide nostalgia events mainly aimed at people who either had a few years in the overground days of the mid 70s and want to relive that very brief period of the scene or people who want to re create their past.

The promoters at these events have a music policy dictated by a target audience who lets be honest have very little experience of the scene outside their handful of years. Even oldies events in the 70s and 80s played the odd recent discovery or reactivated under played track - now these nostalgia events are fully market orientated so respond fully to the audience - who in the main want the same 100 or so records or those they know from CDs bought at ASDA.

The venues you mention from the 70s are completely different to the venues you now attend, they played newly discovered Northern Soul - that was the key ethos of the scene up until the new nostalgia product was created. 

I have no problem with the Nostalgia scene but it has very little relation to Northern Soul other than creating a safe, nostalgic space where people celebrate a very small period of time. Northern Soul was always about newly discovered, current big sounds, reactivated underplays and the odd quality oldie. 

The Nostalgia scene is thriving - but it's taken the term Northern Soul to a place where it bears little relation to the scene those of us who stuck around after 79 recognise.

Social source share

my view on why the Northern Scene is dying is because of what you describe above. This doesn't look to me like the Northern Scene, it is a nostalgia scene created by large promoters to provide nostalgia events mainly aimed at people who either had a few years in the overground days of the mid 70s and want to relive that very brief period of the scene or people who want to re create their past.

The promoters at these events have a music policy dictated by a target audience who lets be honest have very little experience of the scene outside their handful of years. Even oldies events in the 70s and 80s played the odd recent discovery or reactivated under played track - now these nostalgia events are fully market orientated so respond fully to the audience - who in the main want the same 100 or so records or those they know from CDs bought at ASDA.

The venues you mention from the 70s are completely different to the venues you now attend, they played newly discovered Northern Soul - that was the key ethos of the scene up until the new nostalgia product was created.

I have no problem with the Nostalgia scene but it has very little relation to Northern Soul other than creating a safe, nostalgic space where people celebrate a very small period of time. Northern Soul was always about newly discovered, current big sounds, reactivated underplays and the odd quality oldie.

The Nostalgia scene is thriving - but it's taken the term Northern Soul to a place where it bears little relation to the scene those of us who stuck around after 79 recognise.

spot on mate, best comment on the thread.

Social source share

Well I'm 61 started going out in 69 to local do's around Manchester when we where all trying to work out what had hit us, Soul Music, fresh and new a lifeline from boredom for many. You could dance your head off all night because it was mainly unheard which was the attraction, not he same old but good 60's tunes we had been listening too through the 60's era. Fresh means life in most cases I don't mean  Modern, Funk, R+B, Garage n whatever some call it. I mean pure 60's Soul still coming through and still giving that feeling of Wow this is fantastic all over again. The so called top 500 should be known truly as the first 500 played out regular and loved by many back in the day. There is no top figure now just thousands of great tunes not getting the credit they deserve.Try it you might like it. 

Social source share

Maybe it may sound silly after all the above inner introspections on sociological and market levels...  but what about arranging a night in a venue with the best dancefloor possible and a couple of good technics, call your friends and promote the event to the people who can be possibly interested and dance the night away with the best soul records you have in your collections?

Social source share

I see your point and for sure I can remember when "Gone with the wind" etc were new discoveries but even back in the nid 70`s I much prefered the Monthly Friday oldies night at Wigan. Finding unplayed sounds from the early days must now be a nightmare so new or more recent productions will have to be played And Yes I agree some promoters would have you believe that they have re-created the events of today to replicate the scene back in the day and in some cases it may resemble it, but that1s not my point ...You cant just knock people for going to events because its not your bag as I said i pick and choose carefully which events suit my taste and whilst I swerve the likes of 100 club, lifeline , Rugby and many more cutting edge venues I have friends who love these venues so I dont knock them just because they are not for me. The scene I knew (even sitting out back of the Torch in 1971 too young to get in but listening with my mate to major Lance etc) was never perfect even back then. Wigan was a dive to say the least But we still went . Today`s events number wise far outweigh what was available then and some are just fanciful if well meant ideas but still some work I attended a new event a few weeks back at West Brom town hall and whilst not perfect it was pretty good and for sure I will go back. The Monster at Stoke is far from perfect  between 11-2 its mayhem with plenty of wannabees and newbies who have little idea or sense of space and direction ...sore feet abound from being trod on ...and quite a lot of hat period I sit out but later on its terrrific so my last comment would be ...if you dont like whats been played don`t go and if you are no longer enjoying the scene as it is today move on. I know for sure when I no longer find Frankie B and the Butlers " If that`s what you wanted"  pure magic and, I aint on the floor before the lyrics start I will as stated.... Move On.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I see your point and for sure I can remember when "Gone with the wind" etc were new discoveries but even back in the nid 70`s I much prefered the Monthly Friday oldies night at Wigan. Finding unplayed sounds from the early days must now be a nightmare so new or more recent productions will have to be played And Yes I agree some promoters would have you believe that they have re-created the events of today to replicate the scene back in the day and in some cases it may resemble it, but that1s not my point ...You cant just knock people for going to events because its not your bag as I said i pick and choose carefully which events suit my taste and whilst I swerve the likes of 100 club, lifeline , Rugby and many more cutting edge venues I have friends who love these venues so I dont knock them just because they are not for me. The scene I knew (even sitting out back of the Torch in 1971 too young to get in but listening with my mate to major Lance etc) was never perfect even back then. Wigan was a dive to say the least But we still went . Today`s events number wise far outweigh what was available then and some are just fanciful if well meant ideas but still some work I attended a new event a few weeks back at West Brom town hall and whilst not perfect it was pretty good and for sure I will go back. The Monster at Stoke is far from perfect  between 11-2 its mayhem with plenty of wannabees and newbies who have little idea or sense of space and direction ...sore feet abound from being trod on ...and quite a lot of hat period I sit out but later on its terrrific so my last comment would be ...if you dont like whats been played don`t go and if you are no longer enjoying the scene as it is today move on. I know for sure when I no longer find Frankie B and the Butlers " If that`s what you wanted"  pure magic and, I aint on the floor before the lyrics start I will as stated.... Move On.

I don't think I knocked anyone for going to Nostalgia nights, I have a lot of mates who did the scene for a handful of years and have now come back to the Nostalgia scene, they have fun no problem. I might even do the Palais nighter as that's where I started my journey off and curious to see what Mick H, Sam and Dave Raistrick will play.

My point though is this facsimile of circa 5 years of a scene that has been going for 45 years plus is what has been pushed by nostalgia promoters as Northern Soul, in my view it bears little resemblance. We listened to thousands of records, we wore various fashions throughout the decades and we tended to look forward not backwards - the antithesis of the nostalgia scene.

regarding finding underplayed sounds - for the nostalgia scene it would quite simply be a piece of pi££, for example those I know on it probably know one, at a push 2 records on say for arguments sake a well know blinding label like Thelma. You've got a number of blinding smash the pub up northern records there to reactivate for those events but the nostalgia scene wouldn't accept them as they, and as you state yourself as wanting only want to hear those from your past.

I also might be wrong but your post seems to focus on a back in the day (yours) and now perspective. There are decades in between where I think Nostalgia promoters have done a blinding job of covering up what happened during that period.

a llot has happened between Wigan and Stoke opening ( or for that matter Lifeline). There's decades of Northern that in many cases are better than the 100 or so tracks played at Nostalgia events, such a shame the attendees don't want to hear them.

I've been at the point where I leave the floor for Frankie Beverly ITWYW for a couple of decades now, however when I'm bored of a 100 or so records I don't move off the scene, I move on to hear new things to my ears to replace, that's what we've always done on the Northern scene.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

the scene isn't dying, it's growing

it's growing into something i neither enjoy or welcome.

one thing i do welcome is the proliferation of div-fest 'motowner-handbagger' (not my terms but i'll use them) nights becuase it keeps the divs away from the 'proper' world.

all we need to do now is get the alcohol out of the bars and we'll be cooking on gas..........

just saying

Edited by coops
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't think I knocked anyone for going to Nostalgia nights, I have a lot of mates who did the scene for a handful of years and have now come back to the Nostalgia scene, they have fun no problem. I might even do the Palais nighter as that's where I started my journey off and curious to see what Mick H, Sam and Dave Raistrick will play.

My point though is this facsimile of circa 5 years of a scene that has been going for 45 years plus is what has been pushed by nostalgia promoters as Northern Soul, in my view it bears little resemblance. We listened to thousands of records, we wore various fashions throughout the decades and we tended to look forward not backwards - the antithesis of the nostalgia scene.

regarding finding underplayed sounds - for the nostalgia scene it would quite simply be a piece of pi££, for example those I know on it probably know one, at a push 2 records on say for arguments sake a well know blinding label like Thelma. You've got a number of blinding smash the pub up northern records there to reactivate for those events but the nostalgia scene wouldn't accept them as they, and as you state yourself as wanting only want to hear those from your past.

I also might be wrong but your post seems to focus on a back in the day (yours) and now perspective. There are decades in between where I think Nostalgia promoters have done a blinding job of covering up what happened during that period.

a llot has happened between Wigan and Stoke opening ( or for that matter Lifeline). There's decades of Northern that in many cases are better than the 100 or so tracks played at Nostalgia events, such a shame the attendees don't want to hear them.

I've been at the point where I leave the floor for Frankie Beverly ITWYW for a couple of decades now, however when I'm bored of a 100 or so records I don't move off the scene, I move on to hear new things to my ears to replace, that's what we've always done on the Northern scene.

totally agree mate might see you at the palias as the last good nites there were the mid 80's ones  on a Saturday

Social source share

totally agree mate might see you at the palias as the last good nites there were the mid 80's ones  on a Saturday

true, the downstairs at Bali Hai and the nighters. I went to a couple of the soul nights, I think in the 00s there and they were awful, I couldn't get my swede around how limited the playlist was. Might see you there Steve.

Social source share

the scene isn't dying, it's growing

it's growing into something i neither enjoy or welcome.

one thing i do welcome is the proliferation of div-fest 'motowner-handbagger' (not my terms but i'll use them) nights becuase it keeps the divs away from the 'proper' world.

all we need to do now is get the alcohol out of the bars and we'll be cooking on gas..........

just saying

interesting view Coops, by div-fest 'motowner-handbag' nights where do you draw the line with say the bigger nostalgia events? 

What also defines the proper world? In my view it's thos events that have stuck to the Northern Soul ethos... Which are few in number. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

who ever thought nsoul would be available in asda, Im an 80 s early nineties attendee,liked a mix o oldies n new stuff, as long as it was danceable. The dressing up box stuff now is laughable, I wore a parka, boating blazer, sta prest at 15, not at near 50 

Social source share

who ever thought nsoul would be available in asda, Im an 80 s early nineties attendee,liked a mix o oldies n new stuff, as long as it was danceable. The dressing up box stuff now is laughable, I wore a parka, boating blazer, sta prest at 15, not at near 50 

I prefer not to judge people on their attire, what ever makes em comfortable; so long as they enjoy the music and a dance who gives a shit. Many of us no longer have the body of an 18 year old so what ever we wear isn't going to be flattering = with our larger waistlines, less hair on top and/or grey hair, wrinkles etc. :hatsoff2:Pretty shallow to judge people on appearance, so get boating blazer back on and sod em if some don;t like it. :)

Open dress codes haven't harmed the scene, the music is still brilliant, more venues and larger audiences, how can the scene be dying. All that has happened people have differing requirements; perhaps those who think the scene is dying are attending venues that are poorly attended or there isn't enough demand for their needs. In the next few weeks the allnighters at Blackburn and Stoke will be heaving, the punters attending those venues wouldn't regard it as a dying scene because the numbers inside will look healthy.  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Clearly we have two different points of view and...... both valid....that`s what makes the scene so intriguing and attractive....a draw ....enjoy the new stuff

we do have different views but when you say enjoy the new stuff, my point is to us who carried on after 79 it isn't new, it's just new to the Nostalgia scene who you thought would love to hear storming 60s Northern soul classics that would be new to their ears; alas that's not the case - which I will never get my swede around. 

Social source share

I prefer not to judge people on their attire, what ever makes em comfortable; so long as they enjoy the music and a dance who gives a shit. Many of us no longer have the body of an 18 year old so what ever we wear isn't going to be flattering = with our larger waistlines, less hair on top and/or grey hair, wrinkles etc. :hatsoff2:Pretty shallow to judge people on appearance, so get boating blazer back on and sod em if some don;t like it. :)

Open dress codes haven't harmed the scene, the music is still brilliant, more venues and larger audiences, how can the scene be dying. All that has happened people have differing requirements; perhaps those who think the scene is dying are attending venues that are poorly attended or there isn't enough demand for their needs. In the next few weeks the allnighters at Blackburn and Stoke will be heaving, the punters attending those venues wouldn't regard it as a dying scene because the numbers inside will look healthy.  

u missed the point, you cannot turn the clock back, by dressing as u did as a kid, 80s niters nobody was dressing like it was 74 etc,nod to the past was shoes, shirt, trousers, but of the time nit of bygone era,n no won't b donning mod clothes at near 50, when did u see a fat mod in late 70s early 80s 

Social source share

The scene is/has changed, never mind the music policys at the indevidual venues. Thats somthing we slowly get used to. I have noticed the people attending is changing. Recently went to a soul night I regualy attend and know most regaulers but there not there and all new faces are all over the place.

Recently went to a weekender and on the next breakfast table there were two couples who had left the line dancing scene and become souleys as it is such a welcoming scene and more enegetic dancing to help with the ageing waistlines.

Where is it going - I dont know mmaaannnn

Social source share

The scene is/has changed, never mind the music policys at the indevidual venues. Thats somthing we slowly get used to. I have noticed the people attending is changing. Recently went to a soul night I regualy attend and know most regaulers but there not there and all new faces are all over the place.

Recently went to a weekender and on the next breakfast table there were two couples who had left the line dancing scene and become souleys as it is such a welcoming scene and more enegetic dancing to help with the ageing waistlines.

Where is it going - I dont know mmaaannnn

and I've no doubt that the large nostalgia promotions will continue to develop there commercial product to meet the limited music experience of this line dancing couple and others like them to increase new entrants to their market and create a scene that is more akin to what they expect, it's a negative cycle - adapt the product to those who would never have considered what we all got into and continue until it completely different - cash as the key and only driver.  They can do what they like - but that quite simply is not Northern Soul, this is what we signed up to get away from; which brings me full circle to this is what is killing the term Northern Soul. 

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

u missed the point, you cannot turn the clock back, by dressing as u did as a kid, 80s niters nobody was dressing like it was 74 etc,nod to the past was shoes, shirt, trousers, but of the time nit of bygone era,n no won't b donning mod clothes at near 50, when did u see a fat mod in late 70s early 80s 

You could dress retro in smart mod attire and look good, you chose not to and that is personal choice suggesting you are more self conscious than me. Why bother what strangers think about the attire, their views are irrelevant, the only exception might be if you are mixing business with pleasure. A mate of mine still goes out in boating jacket and looks cool even though his waistline is a little larger than it was when he was 18, he dances hard, stays late at nighters and enjoys himself; that is the way it should be. Enjoy yourself and party hard without compromise.  

Don't worry about strangers and their opinions, the scene is about music, dancing and friends, anything else is irrelevant.

Atb 

Stu

Edited by mellorful
error
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Exactly that's what its all about , you should be confident every tune you are playing stands up as a good tune on its own and don't try to anticipate what people expect you to play .

When I DJ  I always try to play a slightly "off the wall " set I don't plan it , I play what I've bought recently or what I'm currently listening to as well as the odd oldie I'd forgot about .

If people don't like it don't ask me again .

I DJ 'ed a few months back and the guy before me filled the floor with all the usual greatest hits of Wigan stuff , mostly on reissues and bootlegs too , I came on after to a more muted response (still got them dancing but not in the volumes like the last guy ) but I didn't care I got more satisfaction from someone who know's their stuff asking me what a certain record was as they didn't know it or someone else complementing me on something else they hadn't heard out in a while .

To me like many here heaven is hearing a set full of tunes you don't know , and as long as its not a funeral march I'll dance to it know it or not .

i think exactly the same as you i love underplayed or something new with a beat to die for i got about 3000 tracks on my pc most i never herd i wouldn't wast my hardrive space for the top 500  you can here them constantly posted on facebook and ebay well that`s gone well to the dogs just flipped quickly over to ebay typed in frank willson there is 23 on there so  how many per week i wonder that`s it im off to bed it`s 2 am  i`ll read the rest of the posts tomorow

Social source share

You could dress retro in smart mod attire and look good, you chose not to and that is personal choice suggesting you are more self conscious than me. Why bother what strangers think about the attire, their views are irrelevant, the only exception might be if you are mixing business with pleasure. A mate of mine still goes out in boating jacket and looks cool even though his waistline is a little larger than it was when he was 18, he dances hard, stays late at nighters and enjoys himself; that is the way it should be. Enjoy yourself and party hard without compromise.  

Don't worry about strangers and their opinions, the scene is about music, dancing and friends, anything else is irrelevant.

Atb 

Stu

your heart may be in the right place, but I've no desire to dress as I did at 15.i never went to nighters kitted out in mod attire,by the time I attended 2nd niter, it was nsoul all the way,I will reiterate nobody was kitted out in their teen tribe outfits, I went to nighters early 80s to early 90s,again nobody was dressing ala 74 

Social source share

your heart may be in the right place, but I've no desire to dress as I did at 15.i never went to nighters kitted out in mod attire,by the time I attended 2nd niter, it was nsoul all the way,I will reiterate nobody was kitted out in their teen tribe outfits, I went to nighters early 80s to early 90s,again nobody was dressing ala 74 

so to not upset the purists and keepers of the faith what do I wear  as a nearly 60 year  when I go to a northern soul night ,

for the record I usually wear a Ben Sherman button down collar (early 70s) or Fred Perry (early whatever ) and sta press type trousers , tassel loafers or brogues, in fact same as what I used to wear apart from a lot of sizes up. back in the day ,

so I am a dinosaur fashion wise and need some sartorial advice as to what is acceptable attire for the 21st century follower of northern soul .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

interesting view Coops, by div-fest 'motowner-handbag' nights where do you draw the line with say the bigger nostalgia events? 

What also defines the proper world? In my view it's thos events that have stuck to the Northern Soul ethos... Which are few in number. 

agreed, those that have stuck with the etiquette and ethos, there are some younger elements out there who actually 'get it', and many 'older' who don't. it seems that those who don't were never there, which is fine, no problem with that but let's not make up histories and pretend we were there. 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I wonder if before their extinction dinosaurs argued among themselves about the process of evolution.

Do you see the scene evolving..........

the gradual development of something.
"the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution"
synonyms:developmentadvancementgrowthriseprogressprogressionexpansionextension, unfolding; More

It may be growing but for how long.....you look round and still the vast majority are getting nearer OAP status, many already there.  Like the dinosaurs they will die out (don't get me wrong I don't wish that on anyone) but what happens when this occurs?

It needs a large injection of youth, not line dancers looking for a more welcoming night out.  As Byrney says that is exactly what we were getting away from in the first place.  Northern Soul, the new Darby And Joan club!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

so to not upset the purists and keepers of the faith what do I wear  as a nearly 60 year  when I go to a northern soul night ,

for the record I usually wear a Ben Sherman button down collar (early 70s) or Fred Perry (early whatever ) and sta press type trousers , tassel loafers or brogues, in fact same as what I used to wear apart from a lot of sizes up. back in the day ,

so I am a dinosaur fashion wise and need some sartorial advice as to what is acceptable attire for the 21st century follower of northern soulthese

Edited by tenuate
can't be bothered too explain
Social source share

Do you see the scene evolving..........

the gradual development of something.
"the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution"
synonyms:developmentadvancementgrowthriseprogressprogressionexpansionextension, unfolding; More

It may be growing but for how long.....you look round and still the vast majority are getting nearer OAP status, many already there.  Like the dinosaurs they will die out (don't get me wrong I don't wish that on anyone) but what happens when this occurs?

It needs a large injection of youth, not line dancers looking for a more welcoming night out.  As Byrney says that is exactly what we were getting away from in the first place.  Northern Soul, the new Darby And Joan club!

to be honest Chalky, i feel the scene should die with the generation that created and nurtured it. it's a 'child of its time', but........to be fair........ i haven't got a ship load of rare records that i'm worried about not getting me investment back should the scene die a dignified death of old age as we ourselves shall in deed do.

Social source share

to be honest Chalky, i feel the scene should die with the generation that created and nurtured it. it's a 'child of its time', but........to be fair........ i haven't got a ship load of rare records that i'm worried about not getting me investment back should the scene die a dignified death of old age as we ourselves shall in deed do.

well coops that's a selfish viewpoint because the scene has got many devotees who are of an age to be our sons and daughters and you would deny these people something which as given us a unique and wonderfull scene which to me is still great and far from being killed off

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well coops that's a selfish viewpoint because the scene has got many devotees who are of an age to be our sons and daughters and you would deny these people something which as given us a unique and wonderfull scene which to me is still great and far from being killed off

it may or not seem selfish to you, it's just the way I feel. you and many others have your own opinions that may differ from mine and although i won't agree with them i respect them without labelling you (or them).  

Social source share

seriously, so many devotees, what maybe be 20/ 30 people under 30 who regualrly travel?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!