What's a good book on Soul music, not necessarily NS?

Damian

Hi all. 

I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it's OK here - figured if there's one place where people would be able to help me out it's this forum. 

Can you guys recommend a good book on Soul music as a whole, not just/necessarily Northern Soul but a brief history of, major players/artists/labels/events/milestones, the different 'sounds' (Philly, Detroit), etc. - I want to learn as much as I can. Interested mainly in '60s and a bit of the '70s. 

I'm almost embarrased to ask, but I come from a rock/pop background - got bit by the Soul bug only recently and I'm loving every minute of the ride, but I'm missing some background. So if anyone could recommend one or two very good books on the subject, I'd appreciate it a lot. 

Thanks! 

D 

Social source share

Would recommend - Nowhere To Run - Gerri Hirshey; Respect Yourself - Robert Gordon; Chicago Soul - Robert Pruter; Making Tracks - Charlie Gillett; The Record Men - Rich Cohen and Where Did Our Love Go - Nelson George for starters.

These are good tips.

I'd add John L Jackson's 'A House on Fire' for the Philly scene and Rob Bowman's 'Soulsville USA' (Stax).  Also, Ken Emerson's 'Always Magic in the Air', which is all about the Brill Building team, so not exclusively soul, but covers Bacharach and David, Pomus and Shuman, Leiber and Stoller, Goffin and King, Greenwich and Barry and therefore the Coasters, Drifters, Dixie Cups, Shirelles, Bessie Banks etc.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Hi all. 

I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it's OK here - figured if there's one place where people would be able to help me out it's this forum. 

Can you guys recommend a good book on Soul music as a whole, not just/necessarily Northern Soul but a brief history of, major players/artists/labels/events/milestones, the different 'sounds' (Philly, Detroit), etc. - I want to learn as much as I can. Interested mainly in '60s and a bit of the '70s. 

I'm almost embarrased to ask, but I come from a rock/pop background - got bit by the Soul bug only recently and I'm loving every minute of the ride, but I'm missing some background. So if anyone could recommend one or two very good books on the subject, I'd appreciate it a lot. 

Thanks! 

D 

D. Enjoy the ride on the soul train. It's a lifetime journey man. I've been on-board since the 70,s

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Damian. The book you might find useful is called The Blackwell Guide To Soul Recordings edited by Robert Pruter first published in 1994. The book takes a regional look at the USA looking at genres, labels artists and recommended LP's and CD's.

Another reference book is called The Music Book Guide To Soul published by Backbeat books as one of the AMG series ie All Media Guide.

Then there are the regional books on Chicago (Robert Pruter), Philadelphia (John A Jackson), Detroit (Keith Rylatt) and others amongst those mentioned above on New Orleans, Texas, Memphis, Motown etc.

Hope this helps.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the complete list for anyone that finds this thread in the future looking for the same thing - save you the trouble of reading through all of the posts. Once again, thanks! 

The Music Book Guide To Soul [Backbeat Books]
Alan Betrock - Girl Groups, The Story of a Sound 
Rob Bowman - Soulsville USA
Rich Cohen  - The Record Men
Tony Cummings - The Sound of Philadelphia 
Ken Emerson - Always Magic in the Air
Nelson George - Where Did Our Love Go
Charlie Gillett - Making Tracks
Robert Gordon - Respect Yourself
Peter Guralnick - Sweet Soul Music
Gerri Hirshey - Nowhere To Run
John L Jackson - A House on Fire
Colin Larkin - Encyclopedia of R&B and Soul 
Robert Pruter - Chicago Soul
Robert Pruter - The Blackwell Guide To Soul Recordings
Mike Ritson - The In Crowd
Keith Rylatt - Groovesville USA 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's the complete list for anyone that finds this thread in the future looking for the same thing - save you the trouble of reading through all of the posts. Once again, thanks! 

On Motown  you can read "The Motown Story" by Don Waller, and"Motown : The Golden Years" by Bill Dahl. Both very informative.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The one book that constantly gets overlooked is Barney Hoskins  "Say it One Time for the Broken Hearted: The Country Side of Southern Soul".

The influence of country music was absolutely critical to the development of Soul Music generally - not just Southern Soul  -  and this book nails the evolutionary journey to Soul Music perfectly.  

Social source share

Old School 77 Years of Southern California R&B Vocal Groups by Steve Propes.  Excellent source of information.  I had to go via US Amazon to get a copy but it was cheap.  Steve also did a West Coast Vocal Group book, loads of photos and info Bout the groups but it is really tough to get a copy these days.

Rubin Monalas book about the Low Rider Scene is another goold source of info.

Social source share

Just came through door yesterday, along with Robert Gordon's Respect Yourself: Stax Records and the Soul Explosion, which looks good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Respect-Yourself-Stax-Records-Explosion/dp/1608194167/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442682005&sr=8-1&keywords=respect+yourself

Social source share

Guest son of stan

You could try 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Black Music' (Salamander Books, 1982). I absolutely loved this book when I started getting into soul! There wasn't all that much available in those days.

Just got it off the shelf and having a flick through. It's pretty good! Covers reggae and jazz-funk too. But that's not a problem for me! :-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!