New Motown CD from Ace

Motown are releasing a new 25 track CD of previously unreleased cuts from Motown girls including Rita Wright,Brenda Holloway , Marvelettes , Linda Griner and more

Titled "Love and affection"

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1. Reassure Me That You Love Me - Brenda Holloway
2. Any Girl In Love (Knows What I’m Going Through) - Gladys Knight The Pips
3. My Love Is Your Love (Forever) - Barbara Randolph
4. This Is The Love (I’ve Been Waiting For) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
5. I Can’t Make It Without You - Debbie Dean
6. Midnight Johnny (Early Version) - Liz Lands
7. Many Good Times - The Lewis Sisters
8. Just Go On Sleeping - LaBrenda Ben *
9. Lonely Teardrops - Brenda Holloway *
10. Now That Love Is Gone - Hattie Littles *
11. Fugitive - LaBrenda Ben *
12. Envious (Fast Version) - Linda Griner
13. Mr Pride And Mr Gloom - Connie Haines
14. Momma Tried To Warn Me - Oma Heard
15. Check Yourself - Chris Clark
16. Come Back Half Way - Barbara McNair
17. Mother Tell Me What To Do - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
18. Girls Need Love And Affection - The Marvelettes
19. Give Back The Good Things - Rita Wright
20. Go For Yourself - The Lollipops
21. The Good Times Are Gone - Barbara McNair
22. The Things Time Can’t Erase - Gladys Knight & The Pips
23. Close My Crying Eyes - Yvonne Fair
24. Forgotten - Chris Clark
25. Lover Man (Oh Where Can You Be) - Kim Weston *

Social source share

Wow!!! More LaBrenda Ben, Linda Griner, Rita Wright, Liz Lands, Oma Heard, Lollipops, Barbara Randolph, and even more Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Martha and Gladys! I'm drooling! And Kim Weston's is a slow Jazz tune! I can't wait!

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Another quality CD from Keith and all the guys at Ace .... I'm beyond excited to see that one of my all time favourite Motown tracks is finally getting released .... 'The Things Time Cannot Erase' by Gladys is just stunning ... Ivy Jo Hunter at his best ... Worth buying for this track alone 

Andy 

Social source share

Andy

I've not heard this GK & Pips track...but several years ago Motown were due to release a Lost and Found on the group, titled "Time cannot erase"

Can' t wait for this

Social source share

Guest keithhughes

Snakepit: the Barbara Randolph IS interesting (I think! - but then I think they're all interesting ... I would, wouldn't I?)

It was discovered on a "spare" track on the multi-track master for the Miracles' version of the song, marked as "Barbara Randolph - demo" on the tape box. Absolutely no clue about the recording date, but I've hazarded a guess in the booklet that it might have been Barbara's audition track for Motown. If I'm right - well, I'd have signed her!

Social source share

Hi Keith

hope you are well....!!

Thanks for the wonderful work you do with Ace/Kent

this set looks wonderful...didn't think I'd see some of these names on 'new' material again. The Miracles track is a favourite but of course the Isleys' 2 versions went very big on The NS scene....wonder if Barbara's will get picked up. Will promote via my show Soulful Shack.

regards

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Only one "gem" for me - the uptempo version of "Envious" by Linda Griner.  That proves that a well-written song will sound good at any tempo.  I like the Oma Heard and Brenda Holloway's version of "Lonely Teardrops:, as well as one of The Gladys Knights, one of The Connie Haines' and The Lollipops.  All in all, it's roughly at the quality I expected" a few pleasant surprises, and most of the rest listenable, but nothing special, or songs I already had in some form.  But, I'd have gotten it just for The Linda Griner. alone.

Social source share

I like the sound of many of these...classic Motown on a number of tracks.

Barbara Randolph sounds like the backing trick to Smokey's version.

Will play a number of these on my show asap..can't wait for CD

Social source share

I like the sound of many of these...classic Motown on a number of tracks.

Barbara Randolph sounds like the backing trick to Smokey's version.

Will play a number of these on my show asap..can't wait for CD

I think it's a slightly different mix. 

Nice to see you arrived here, Larry, if this is you!

Social source share

Yes Robb

SDF is a waste of time these days I'm afraid. But it was all predicted well in advance.....there is virtually nobody left discussing 60s Soul Music at all.

I recently put up a post up regarding the possibility of my radio show with a 60s Detroit special....no interest at all.(on a web site called 'Soulful Detroit') I've seen some of your posts that are not getting any response. In truth , the horse has bolted. (it could have been saved if a thread for DRATS only had been started...leaving the Motown forum for sensible comments...too late mate.

regards

Larry

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

SDF - Glory years 2002/2005 - then pear shaped sadly. And talking of Barbara Randolph, David and Harry off SD and myself met Harry Weinger at the Motown audio facility near New York and were there for the mixing/mastering of 'What's easy for two'. And also 'Papa was a rolling stone'/Temptations. That's how powerful that forum was. 

Yes, this new release looks good. 

Social source share

Yes Robb

SDF is a waste of time these days I'm afraid. But it was all predicted well in advance.....there is virtually nobody left discussing 60s Soul Music at all.

I recently put up a post up regarding the possibility of my radio show with a 60s Detroit special....no interest at all.(on a web site called 'Soulful Detroit') I've seen some of your posts that are not getting any response. In truth , the horse has bolted. (it could have been saved if a thread for DRATS only had been started...leaving the Motown forum for sensible comments...too late mate.

regards

Larry

Indeed. Seems to consist as much as anything of posts about birthdays and deaths of people who have absolutely nothing to do with soul music at all. : ( 

Social source share

Courtesy of Ace/Kent records and compiler Keith Hughes, I am delighted to say that 3 tracks from the forthcoming "Love and Affection" CD, (tracks from the Motown vaults and previously unreleased) will feature, in full, on my radio show next week.

www.fcumradio.co.uk

Soulful Shack

sat/sun  17/18  October  20.00pm

mon/tue  19/20 October  17.00pm

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!