Rita Graham

Jkpnefc

• Replies 27
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Vinyl or styrene?

What's in the dead wax? If it is styrene it will probably be a monarch pressing so there should be a delta number, if it is vinyl it may just have a hand written matrix whether real or not.

However the LP came out in 69 and the number would put it years later so it seems highly unlikely to have been issued.

Lovely looking boot though!

Social source share

Hmmm - it does seem odd that someone would go to the trouble of bootlegging this.

Although it's been played on and off over the years - was it really ever popular enough to warrant it?

Agreed, that number makes it at least a 1973 release, which for something done on an LP in 1969 doesn't make it totally impossible.

Although, as the label belonged to Ray Charles who, when he left ABC (The parent label of Tangerine) then set up Crossover Records in 1973. Logic says it would have been released on Crossover instead.... :g:

It certainly looks nice though either way!

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Lots of chat about this record however I have just received a copy in mint condition from Detroit and seems okay and meets the same criteria as described above. May be a counterfeit not sure. Could be genuine as the label is moulded at edges and this usually is a good sign

Social source share

Rita started out (in her time associated with Ray Charles) as a Raelette in 68. She told me (@ Prestatyn) that he strung her along about recording her as a solo artist for a fair while (they were touring none stop at the time). He then did the album project on her but put it out without any promotion at all. She had been promised a better effort & so confronted him. This resulted in a big row & so she quit his entourage & left the record company in 69.

With the bad blood between the two, I can't see any reason at all why Ray would put any tracks by her out around 4 years later ... so 'the story' of it possibly being a legit 45 doesn't have any legs at all.

Social source share

5 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Which one's that Pete ... ? I kinda lost track in all the "discussions" that took place ... this was the most complete listing I saved ... :huh:

One by The O'Kaysions called Little Miss Flirt that I'd never heard of - North State label

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Benji said:

Pretty devious, North State is the original local label release of "Girl Watcher". To bootleg the LP only track on the same label is obviously just to fool folks.

Here's the Discogs link to the IL bootleg: https://www.discogs.com/de/The-OKaysions-Little-Miss-Flirt-How-Are-You-Fixed-For-Love/release/9880206

How's it fooling folks, if everyone knows it was never released as a single?  There's loads of instances of this: Supertime, Just Walk In My Shoes etc lp tracks pressed as singles

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!