Marge Dodson-Be Your Baby Info Please

hullsoul

Hi

Marge Dodson - Be Your Baby Decca........is a tune I love & have heard it played out over the years at nighters but never seemed to hear it on a regular basis?

Has it ever been a regular nighter play back in the day?

If so when & where?

Played first by who?

Any info would be most appreciated...............

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

A fantastic record in my opinion....and it's not played out that much from my experiences at soul do's....I'm not a weekly nighter goer etc, but I'm surprised this isn't a massive must have (oldie) by now.....I'm sure the guys and girls on here will tell us...a very good post and I'm interested to hear what people say....thank you...Rob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Was this big at Middleton all nighter?.....I may of totally made that up!....just thought I heard it some where....thank you..Rob

It's Wilton for me when it first came to my notice but other nighters as well after that,can't say I remember it from Middleton but that means nothing :D

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Marge Dodson had at least one album in the late 50s but nothing like Be Your Baby. She sounds like a mix of Peggy Lee, Julie London and Lena Horne singing the usual jazz songs of the time. The album cover has a photo that looks like it is taken in a way that makes her look like Lena Horne i.e not as a black woman. Like many other Jazz artists in the 60s she was told her old stuff wasn't selling and had to get with the "new sound, like Motown". I've got a CD that notes she had an album in 1968 that is described as MOR soul,this could be a Decca release with the single on.

I've got the Soul Kitchen CD mentioned by Stateside above, and agree that it is a great track that should be played more. I'd rather hear this than Holly St James for the thousandth time. It's just the type of record that seems to be overlooked because it was first played at a time when the returnees had yet to return.

Rick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I started playing it on a fairly regular basis at the Rugby allnighters about eight years ago, but it never seemed to take off on the dancefloor, so it gradually fell off my playlist. I've still got it though so might give it another try.

It took me a while to find a decent copy, a demo, and I've only ever seen one issue. If you set a search up in Ebay you'll find the album pops up fairly regularly, but this track isn't on it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Marge Dodson had at least one album in the late 50s but nothing like Be Your Baby. She sounds like a mix of Peggy Lee, Julie London and Lena Horne singing the usual jazz songs of the time. The album cover has a photo that looks like it is taken in a way that makes her look like Lena Horne i.e not as a black woman. Like many other Jazz artists in the 60s she was told her old stuff wasn't selling and had to get with the "new sound, like Motown". I've got a CD that notes she had an album in 1968 that is described as MOR soul,this could be a Decca release with the single on.

I've got the Soul Kitchen CD mentioned by Stateside above, and agree that it is a great track that should be played more. I'd rather hear this than Holly St James for the thousandth time. It's just the type of record that seems to be overlooked because it was first played at a time when the returnees had yet to return.

Rick

That Decca album was around.

There was a small buzz around "Yesterday is crowding my world" which was a 45 and on album [I think] mid 70's [Wigan pop phase]

Social source share

Both "Be Your baby" and "Yesterday is crowding my world" are on her "Lovely way to live" album on Decca. Unfortunately the album is pretty low fi pressed compared to the 45.

Edit: Album easily available on Discogs (and cheap too). 45 also there (but not cheap)

Edited by Benji
Social source share

Thanks boys some great info.

Sounds like it's had plays from time to time which I thought but without ever really taking off to reach the monster status it deserves,which is a crime when you hear some of the dross that has become monster sounds............better not go down that road or I could be here awhile :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

that's where I first heard it. Not at the rugby niter but off one of the rugby anniversary c.ds.....I loved it Dave and bought a copy as soon as i found one, decca demo. Surprised it didn't take off, it grows and grows, brilliant to me anyway!.....Rob

sorry, was replying to Dave Rimmers post but buggered up using his quote!

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!