• Replies 20
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"It's Just Love" on UK Parlophone.

Any ideas on current value - I know it's all subjective; what buyer and seller are happy with etc - just want a rough idea so I can decide whether to keep it or not.

Cheers

Gojira

link

martin t (on here) was after this for a fair while b4 getting one

so should be able to help with a current-ish price

memory says its a great track, but can't remember how it goes now

Social source share

martin t (on here) was after this for a fair while b4 getting one

so should be able to help with a current-ish price

memory says its a great track, but can't remember how it goes now

link

I'm on downstairs compy - not the one attached to decks so can't do a soundfile just now. Will try to sort one later. Meanwhile, any idea what Martin paid? Or does anyone else have a view?

Ta

Godz

Social source share

I'm on downstairs compy - not the one attached to decks so can't do a soundfile just now. Will try to sort one later. Meanwhile, any idea what Martin paid? Or does anyone else have a view?

Ta

Godz

link

nah - but going by availbility would have thought could be high

theres a web site devoted to them somewhere - from kent , folkstone ? memory says

Social source share

I actually sold Martin that copy, it was a Parlophone issue, have to say it's the only one I've ever seen, having said that, I had a demo in my own collection a few years ago and I haven't seen another one since...I sold the demo for £25 in 1993...I was offered £150 for the issue so I thought I had no choice but to take it. I'd think it's real value is maybe £100, might be wrong, definitely a rare item though, and it's absolutely brilliant. The Val Simpson I think is ok but totally lifeless without brass, and a lot slower.

I'm sure there's some link between John Andrews and the group Supertramp

Social source share

I actually sold Martin that copy, it was a Parlophone issue, have to say it's the only one I've ever seen, having said that, I had a demo in my own collection a few years ago and I haven't seen another one since...I sold the demo for £25 in 1993...I was offered £150 for the issue so I thought I had no choice but to take it.  I'd think it's real value is maybe £100, might be wrong, definitely a rare item though, and it's absolutely brilliant.  The Val Simpson I think is ok but totally lifeless without brass, and a lot slower.

link

Thanks for that Pete. I suppose I should keep hold of it really - especially as I sold my own copy in '81 and didn't see another until about three years ago (when a top old guy brought it from the back of his shop!)

I'll only end up regretting it again. And it is one of the better UK productions innit?

Have to think of another wizzard wheez to raise some dosh :P

Godz

Social source share

Thanks for that Pete. I suppose I should keep hold of it really - especially as I sold my own copy in '81 and didn't see another until about three years ago (when a top old guy brought it from the back of his shop!)

I'll only end up regretting it again. And it is one of the better UK productions innit?

Have to think of another wizzard wheez to raise some dosh  :P

Godz

link

Yeah I'd keep it if I were you - so hard to replace. Not got any reggae to sell me?

Social source share

Funny, whenever I think of the John Andrews record for some reason it reminds me of Steve Aldo - You're absolutely right. Probably because they are on the same label. Both by Ashford & Simpson I think, and coming out at the same time, Brothers Grimm - don't know if Looky Looky was writen by them but A Man Needs Love certainly was. Must have sent a load of songs over at the same time.

Social source share

heres some scraggs

review of it that made me laugh anyway -

you must have done review of it sometime pete

John Andrews and the Lonely Ones, "It's Just Love" (Parlophone, 1966)

A B-side of a northern-soul one-off called "A Rose Growing in the Ruins," "It's Just Love" is apocalypse-paranoia bandwagoneering at its most timely, except we're supposed to (or maybe not) buy Andrews' theory that an undefined feeling in the air (known for all intents and purposes as "it") that's like "a flame" or "witchcraft" can't be a heatwave (so SHUT UP MARTHA REEVES), cuz it's just, um, love, and because it's love and not the rising tide of social protest that's making everyone nuts, Andrews' news is that much easier to dance to.

from

https://southsidecallbox.com/threatening_01_29_03.html

this is the kent site that had info on group while back

https://www.kentgigs.com/musicbiz/Bands.html

only had a quick scan now but seems lot more conyent on them and loads other similar groups

Social source share

Funny, whenever I think of the John Andrews record for some reason it reminds me of Steve Aldo - You're absolutely right. Probably because they are on the same label.  Both by Ashford & Simpson I think, and coming out at the same time, Brothers Grimm - don't know if Looky Looky was writen by them but A Man Needs Love certainly was.  Must have sent a load of songs over at the same time.

link

I sold a copy Looky Looky back in June I think. Don't remember it being written by Ashford and Simpson though. I thought it was horrible anyway.

Flipside of John Andrews "A Rose Growing In The Ruins" was also written by them, but both sides credit them the other way round (Simpson Ashford). Not a patch on It's Just Love of course.

Did Val Simpson or anyone else ever record that (Rose) side?

Godz

Social source share

I actually sold Martin that copy, it was a Parlophone issue, have to say it's the only one I've ever seen, having said that, I had a demo in my own collection a few years ago and I haven't seen another one since...I sold the demo for £25 in 1993...I was offered £150 for the issue so I thought I had no choice but to take it.  I'd think it's real value is maybe £100, might be wrong, definitely a rare item though, and it's absolutely brilliant.  The Val Simpson I think is ok but totally lifeless without brass, and a lot slower.

link

sorry to come in late on this - 150!?? 300 Pete, I'd rate it at around 250ukp, there was a lot of interest in a demo that was listed on ebay earlier this year, went for 250ukp (I know UK demos tend to go for a lot more, but this is countered by the fact that it's not all that well known and it wasn't that well listed IIRC),.

Superb record IMO and took me many years to track down. If you're selling it for 100ukp I'll take it as a spare :P Still not 'had it's day' IMO

Social source share

sorry to come in late on this - 150!?? 300 Pete, I'd rate it at around 250ukp, there was a lot of interest in a demo that was listed on ebay  earlier this year, went for 250ukp (I know UK demos tend to go for a lot more, but this is countered by the fact that it's not all that well known and it wasn't that well listed IIRC),.

Superb record IMO and took me many years to track down. If you're selling it for 100ukp I'll take it as a spare  :D   Still not 'had it's day' IMO

link

You sure it was that much mate? 300? Maybe 150 was my cut :P

This is a bit misty to be honest but there's no way in the world I would have listed that for 300, it must have been an offer???

Social source share

You sure it was that much mate?  300?  Maybe 150 was my cut  :P

This is a bit misty to be honest but there's no way in the world I would have listed that for 300, it must have been an offer???

link

Defo 300 Pete :D yes, it probably was your cut :D

I had offered one or two people circa 200 quid for it previously (over a period of about 5 years) but neither were willing to part with it. Have to say I have no regrets..... !

Social source share

I sold a copy Looky Looky back in June I think. Don't remember it being written by Ashford and Simpson though. I thought it was horrible anyway.

Flipside of John Andrews "A Rose Growing In The Ruins" was also written by them, but both sides credit them the other way round (Simpson Ashford). Not a patch on It's Just Love of course.

Did Val Simpson or anyone else ever record that (Rose) side?

Godz

link

Here's the Yum Yums version, showing Simpson-Ashford-Armstead.

post-118-1100599526_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I'd love to hear this Ady if ever possible- I take it was never issued by A&S? Is it tape only or actual demo disc/acetate?

Martin

It's from tape, I'll try and play it next 100 Club. I did a copy for Rob Bailey to play on the mod scene. I've actually got Val's demo of 'Out On The Streets Again' on a proper acetate. And the Candy & The Kisses 'Mr Creator' was actually Val.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!