Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Derek Pearson

Rude place names censored

Being the old school boy that I am I did titter at some of the place names mentioned (who wouldn't?)

Derek

'Rude' place names censored at Harrogate WI fair

9 September 2015

Dominic Greyer said he was asked to censor coasters and tea-towels at a Women's Institute event. He said organisers of the WI's Centennial Fair in Harrogate asked him to cover up coasters, mugs and tea-towels featuring some of Britain's saucier-named towns and villages. The author was selling merchandise for his book 'Lesser Spotted Britain' when asked to hide the offending items.

Mr Greyer said he was approached by a male organiser who described some of the promotional material as "unacceptable". He was asked to put greetings cards in brown paper bags and cover place names with 'censored' stickers.

"I had to cover up what on paper seem like rude names but, in context, are real places from around the UK. "It's just 'Carry On' humour, it's not like you can't drive past these places, they're all out there on the street for people to see."

The locations deemed 'too rude':

Sandy Balls in Hampshire

Wetwang, East Yorkshire

Cockermouth, Cumbria

Three Cocks, Powys

Twatt, Shetland Islands

Bell End, Northamptonshire

Sandy Balls, Hampshire

Slack Bottom, West Yorkshire

Butts View, Derbyshire

Cocking, Sussex

Bully Hole Bottom, Monmouthshire

Minge Lane, Worcestershire

Assington, Suffolk

Juggs Lane, WestSussex

Furry Way, Cornwall

Rings End, Cambridgeshire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-34196691

Edited by Derek Pearson

I met a guy through work from Brest in France. Not all that funny on the face of but worth a fnar.

His name was Beat Koch, apparently family origins in Belgium. He almost got a face full of wine.

On the same trip met an African called Perky but she didnt come from Brest. Nor was she a lady of the night before anyone asks. 

Believe it or not. I was watching a programme a while back with Rory McGrath about history. He was in Banbury. There is a road there called Gropecunt Lane. It was the haunt of ladies of the night. I believe it is now referred to as Pearsons Lane or something similar. Seems that this was a regular name for this type of business in many places.  

On the same trip met an African called Perky but she didnt come from Brest. Nor was she a lady of the night before anyone asks. 

Know her well.  Here she is with her only sibling.

pinky perky.jpg

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts