Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Derek Pearson

Radio: Too Much Fighting On The Dance Floor

As I and many other people on this forum grew up in this era - I'm sure we've all got stories of various incidents witnessed at gigs up and down the country.

Derek

A time when gigs were violent

BBC Radio 4

10 September 2015

In the 1970s and 1980s rock concerts - like football matches - could be dangerous events to attend. These days gig-going is a generally peaceable business. Dads go with lads, mums with their daughters, or vice versa - to quote Sly Stone, it's a family affair. But it wasn't always like that.

In the late 1970s and 80s rock concerts were almost still exclusively youth events - anyone over 30 would have been regarded as a "weirdo" - and violence was commonplace.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34184563

Too Much Fighting on The Dance Floor is broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 10 September at 11:30.

I went to a lot of live gigs in the late Seventies early Eighties, it was certainly boisterous,but it wasn't too bad for aggro. It was more hairy before and after walking through the city centre with grief off of pissed up straight heads.

Ugliest was travelling over to Sheffield to see Sham 69, a few skins in front of us just gratuitously dismantled this guy with long hair who was on his own, it was as if they were playing the role that was expected of a Skin. Not nice.

In the early Eighties football culture encroached into the gig scene once or twice John Lydons brothers band ..Bollock Bros? bought a crew of Spuds up to Leeds and one of the Oi! bands bought a load of WHam up too one time with a predictable local response. Apart from that it weren't too bad in my experience.

J.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts