Cracked Records - Effect On Value?

Simon T

• Replies 24
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know it probably affected greatly by the rarity of the record, but is there a 'standard' price reduction for a recorded being cracked (e.g. automatically 50% off the current value)? Assuming it's mended /mendable and so plays fine?

75% i think is a ball park figure

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

I know it probably affected greatly by the rarity of the record, but is there a 'standard' price reduction for a recorded being cracked (e.g. automatically 50% off the current value)? Assuming it's mended /mendable and so plays fine?

I won't sell them, I'd rather give them away or throw them in the loft! Tooo much hastle and all that.

Martin :D

Social source share

I would have thought practically worthless if the crack affects play etc.....

Seconded. But if NAP, a discount of 25-50% on the full price could be considered compulsory...

Got my Natural Four "Tought You Were Mine" on Abc, for 60 USD, because it had a small hairline crack (plays mint)... :D

Roccia

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

I would have thought practically worthless if the crack affects play etc.....

As I said previously, it is just not worth the hassle. Your word against theirs to how it actually plays when they get it home (if cracked, could end up in more than one bit).

Martin

Edited by martinsbox
Social source share

Seconded. But if NAP, a discount of 25-50% on the full price could be considered compulsory...

Got my Natural Four "Tought You Were Mine" on Abc, for 60 USD, because it had a small hairline crack (plays mint)... :D

Roccia

Might play mint but one bang of your record box one night and it might not play mint again :D it doesn't take much of a knock, a bit of unnecessary pressure to crack it right through.

Social source share

Well, that would be sth now ! How many VG+ records do you see that get offered for 100 % of what a mint one should/would be and how many do you see for 50 %...nearly none I bet. Although I second you on that one Chalky.

I bet most vg+ are 75% of value typically, maybe more in some cases. E-bay never ceases to amaze me with buyers buying records in p*ss poor condition for near mint prices :D

Social source share

I bet most vg+ are 75% of value typically, maybe more in some cases. E-bay never ceases to amaze me with buyers buying records in p*ss poor condition for near mint prices :D

And again I second you, BUT how many VG+ copies do get offered graded EX+ or without mentioning the condition at all :D ? Shifty next to others of course springs to my mind as a very good example, always strict on grading and always using the % off the mint price :D

Social source share

Cracked record would be worth virtually zero, unless you want to hang 'em on the wall I suppose. In which case, a quid maybe.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Cracked record would be worth virtually zero, unless you want to hang 'em on the wall I suppose. In which case, a quid maybe.

I've got several relatively rare records that are cracked and in most cases it doesn't affect the play at all, and handled with care and taped up they're just fine. Larry Wright for £20 with a blimmin' great crack but plays well enough for me to have given the b side a spin out (second cracked copy of that I've had too).

Social source share

I bet most vg+ are 75% of value typically, maybe more in some cases. E-bay never ceases to amaze me with buyers buying records in p*ss poor condition for near mint prices :(

I bought a Royal jesters "Use your head" in VG cond for probably alot more than any guide has it at mint but I hadnt seen one in 7 years anywhere so I suppose I went daft cos Im feckin mad!

Social source share

Well Ted, I can think of the French and Russian and a few in the 19th Century making less than 10 clicks in just over 200 years. I didn't realise it was that old. Is it an R&B track?

Simple rules for dealing with damaged 45s

Cracked - Throw it in the bin

Badly scratched - ditto

Badly warped - the same

Modern Soul - there's not a bin big enough!!

If Ted, you had followed this advice then the junk dealers on Ebay may not have got a foothold. Admittedly you'd be £1750 out of pocket which does throw up a small flaw in my otherwise sound advice but Im sure you'd agree that principles are much more important than money.

Now I have to go as I've put my grannie up for auction on Ebay and it's reached the closing stages.

ROD

Social source share

Well Ted, I can think of the French and Russian and a few in the 19th Century making less than 10 clicks in just over 200 years. I didn't realise it was that old. Is it an R&B track?

Badly scratched - ditto

Badly warped - the same

If Ted, you had followed this advice then the junk dealers on Ebay may not have got a foothold. Admittedly you'd be £1750 out of pocket which does throw up a small flaw in my otherwise sound advice but Im sure you'd agree that principles are much more important than money.

Now I have to go as I've put my grannie up for auction on Ebay and it's reached the closing stages.

ROD

how mutch is the reserve on your grannie Rod
Social source share

Badly scratched - ditto

Badly warped - the same

ROD

Hi Rod

i bought that Len Jewell of Andy Spencer for £30 and a slightly cracked Lester Tipton for £60 at the same time people said i was mad whos mad now. the b side of LJ is different from any of the other releases never did get to hear it any one got a sound file?

Social source share

I had Karmello Brooks (cracked, hanging around my home), Andy Cobb offers me $30, and I accept..

He later shifts it to Ady Potts for hundreds, and from what I've heard, it well over a thousand to another person later!!

Doh!~

After witnessing all this, I broke (no pun intended) my "no crack records in my collection" rule, and later paid over a thousand for a certain WILSTONE 45 by a female artist.

I think my brain is cracked... :yes:

Social source share

I had Karmello Brooks (cracked, hanging around my home), Andy Cobb offers me $30, and I accept..

He later shifts it to Ady Potts for hundreds, and from what I've heard, it well over a thousand to another person later!!

Doh!~

After witnessing all this, I broke (no pun intended) my "no crack records in my collection" rule, and later paid over a thousand for a certain WILSTONE 45 by a female artist.

I think my brain is cracked... :ohmy:

Granted, Ester has an inherent sound flaw, so an odd click or two won’t make much difference?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!