EMANUEL LASKEY 1ST OR 2ND MIX

Guest Andy Kempster

Guest Andy Kempster

No doubt this has been done to death on here but I have managed to completely confuse myself referring to JM's book on whether this is the 1st or 2nd mix, it was originally bought as the first mix but I now have my doubts

not sure thpics below are as clear as they could be

Any help with confirming would be appreciated

all the best, Andy

WP_20150913_003.jpg

WP_20150913_002.jpg

WP_20150913_001.jpg

WP_20150913_004.jpg

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

What one could/should refer to the first mix is the the one with the matrix that is un-scrathed on the 'don't lead me on' side. This mix is definitely missing something. There's no bass ! Some say one (or more) channel is/are missing. They must have amended that and repress it with a proper mix with bass and horns... with the original matrix scratched out. IMHO the better one to have.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Bill Spellings

The first mix demo is on WHITE LABEL.  The first mix compared to the second is the first mix has crossed out MATRIX numbers with a new MATRIX scratched in at trail off.  Here is a photo of the correct demo label.  The value of this has been undetermined due to the 2nd with the original MATRIX has been sold for $350.00 U.S.  I have been told to try to determine the number of copies in collections to try and determine a value.  Thus so far I have set it at roughly $90.00 U.S.  Hope this helps.

$_57.JPG

Social source share

17 hours ago, Bill Spellings said:

The first mix compared to the second is the first mix has crossed out MATRIX numbers with a new MATRIX scratched in at trail off. 

This is confusing, as it is the exact opposite to what tlscapital says in an earlier post!

Social source share

• 6 months later...
On 28 novembre 2017 at 20:27, solidsoul said:

This is confusing, as it is the exact opposite to what tlscapital says in an earlier post!

On 13 septembre 2015 at 15:44, Andy Kempster said:

Lovely, thanks

Definitely the second press then

cheers, Andy

OK, finally comparison in view and sound. View; LEFT scan of matrix of the FIRST press with channels missing then RiGHT matrix of SECOND press.

2147318303_Capturedcran2018-06-0708_36_21.thumb.png.7bc8b7e97e7d6d1d701dce05e6c915c5.png

Both with the 'Nashville' mastering and the 'ARP' pressing plant machine stamp (in different places) but with the hand scratched in 'ZTSC' initial catalogue number on the RIGHT strike through with the new attributed catalogue number scratched in as this SECOND press release is actually a new TAKE that requires a new take catalogue number !

My theory is that the sound engineer forgot/lost one or more channel (bass, baritone...) during the recording session on the first take. And if even Emanuel Laskey voice sounds less crisp/sharp on this second take ,this is how it sounds when one cuts the bass; highs sounds different, louder and upfront.

Hear the sound recordings lift of them both records done at the same time one after the other and at the very same volume. First take is the FIRST/LEFT release then at 2:50 the SECOND/RIGHT one !

don't lead me on 3.mp3

Hope this settles this quest once and for all.

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

• 3 months later...

OK, maybe I too should also be a tad less affirmative at times. Not to make things easier to tell the 2 different takes (not mix) by the eye (the ear will tell instantly), I have come by a last variation of the 2nd take (full with bass and horns) with a non scratched out ZTSX 97700 matrix !

1772706025_Capturedcran2018-09-2016_49_25.png.2ecf44dbdcffd9e93448de08cafa540a.png

The original attributed catalogue ZTSX number for the 'A' side 'don't lead me on' is 97699 and ZTSX 97700 is initially for the 'B' side 'what did I do wrong'.

So my theory now goes like this; the first take/release is the one with the right matrix with the channel issue (lacking bass and horns). Noticing the mistake, a re-recording (or another take) was re-released instantly.

Only this time the sides got mixed-up at the mastering stage and 'don't lead me on' got the B-side ZTSX 97700 scratched in matrix and 'what did I do wrong' got the 'A' side ZTSX 97699 scratched in matrix.

A third and last release with the full bass and horns take was issued with the previous inverted matrixes scratched out and correctly re-scratched in as shown on the right in my previous post ! And this time it has a machined 'Bell sound' master instead of the 'Nashville' as the 2 previous releases have. Phew...

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!