'The Quik' was this played?

Soul-slider

When I first started collecting records (early 7t's) I got a copy of this from a junk shop (now called antique shops!), I think they were 3 for 2 bob (or now 0.10p). You have to remember this was very early on and every town, city, village and people who were into Northern had a "secret sound". Berts apple crumble was mine, I pressed out the middle and black felt tipped it on both sides (I really didn't understand record collecting as a teenager-still don't!).  I used to play it on my dansette to all me mates who came round and got them to guess who it was by etc.

My other secret sound was "what a wonderful night for love" by Bobby Patterson and black felt tipped that too!

The things you do when your young!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Berts apple crumble - the quik

When at Upper school in Birstall Leicester in '71 in 6th form we had a disco every Weds & Fri. lunchtime on the  attached youth centre and a student teacher pitched up - I think from Loughborough - and as we were playing all the latest stuff from Selecta-disc and Redifusion in Nottingham he had an interest in what we were playing and one session he arrived with a covered-up British 45 - which when played was an uptempo item - for a few weeks he would not let on what it was but just prior to finishing at our school he told us it was @the Quik' Berts apple crumble - lets be honest - you wouldn't believe it either - and neither did my brother Chris or me but he was insistent that's what it was and it had been played at the Wheel, Night Owl and other clubs. When I say it was covered up I really meant the label had been destroyed - What did we know back then about condition/condition/condition - I personally wrote my name all over my MGM copy of Fathers Angels - Bok to Bach - Doh

Steve

Social source share

Berts apple crumble - the quik

When at Upper school in Birstall Leicester in '71 in 6th form we had a disco every Weds & Fri. lunchtime on the  attached youth centre and a student teacher pitched up - I think from Loughborough - and as we were playing all the latest stuff from Selecta-disc and Redifusion in Nottingham he had an interest in what we were playing and one session he arrived with a covered-up British 45 - which when played was an uptempo item - for a few weeks he would not let on what it was but just prior to finishing at our school he told us it was @the Quik' Berts apple crumble - lets be honest - you wouldn't believe it either - and neither did my brother Chris or me but he was insistent that's what it was and it had been played at the Wheel, Night Owl and other clubs. When I say it was covered up I really meant the label had been destroyed - What did we know back then about condition/condition/condition - I personally wrote my name all over my MGM copy of Fathers Angels - Bok to Bach - Doh

Steve

I was given to understand it was played at the Wheel (though the boss doesn't remember it from the 69-70 period he was there - not that I would have expected it to be played at that point). Dx

Social source share

Yeh, can't confirm any of the clubs mentioned as too young to go - missed the original Wheel by 3/4 wks - my slightly older mates from school made it to Whitworth St. the week before closure then we all ( 8 of us ) went to Majorca for a fortnight - oldest being 18 - came back to find Wheel no more.  but obviously the 45 was around and known and getting played - My brother Chris is the sage on these sort of things - I just remember thinking - What a disappointment as a so called cover-up.

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!