The rare soul scene in Europe and beyond

The rise of the European rare soul scene as been a great adventure for many of us.... Its opened up a whole new world of people to meet and wonderful places to go..... With family life i aint getting out as much these days but looking forward the Cannonball weekender, Italy in November....

. Had the pleasure to travel around this globe and find soul.... 

Let us know where you have been going overseas or plan to go.. Whats your experience of the scene there.....

A feel good topic to wash away the Monday blues...  x

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Used to go out to the Big Thing weekenders in Valancia and Gandia, loved the Spanish crowd and Valencia itself. Madrid allnighter last year, another great crowd of mostly Spanish and an good city to visit. Rimini weekender before that and this year Hip City Soul Club weekender in Berlin. Have an Allnighter lined up to go to in Rome in December and really looking forward to it.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like you Steve, I love going to the European weekenders, and have done over thirty now These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Germany - Nuremburg, Berlin, Hamburg, plus somewhere else that I can't remember for the life of me !

France - Paris, South of France, Brittany

Italy - Vicenza

Holland - Amsterdam

Spain - Santiago

Eire - Dublin

The States - Botanica, New York

And I've already got Denmark & the South of France booked for 2016, and following a recommendation from a friend I wouldn't mind trying the Prague allnighter as well next year.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

At the start of the year I set up a small group on Facebook called the European Soul Club Network. The idea was to get a better idea of events a group of soulies over here in the Amsterdam area could look at going to. Unexpectedly, the page took off and it's grown quite a bit and already has a pretty good calendar of European events through to the summer of next year. It's nowhere near comprehensive, but it's made me realise That there are an awful lot of soul nights and nighters going on, with Belgium and Germany being particularly active.

The Netherlands is also becoming more active. Just this Saturday we've got a soul cruise coming over from the UK with a "mini alldayer" taking place in Amsterdam during the day. In the evening we've got the monthly Amsterdam Soul Club event with Pete Lyster as special guest.

It's an increasingly soulful place is mainland Europe! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/europeansoulclubnetwork/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Like you Steve, I love going to the European weekenders, and have done over thirty now These are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Germany - Nuremburg, Berlin, Hamburg, plus somewhere else that I can't remember for the life of me !

France - Paris, South of France, Brittany

Italy - Vicenza

Holland - Amsterdam

Spain - Santiago

Eire - Dublin

The States - Botanica, New York

And I've already got Denmark & the South of France booked for 2016, and following a recommendation from a friend I wouldn't mind trying the Prague allnighter as well next year.

That must be München, they are constantly sending me invitations to attend (I live there 2-3 months per year).  I also live in Noord Holland for 5-6 months.  So. I could potentially attend the Amsterdam nighter.  I also live 1-2 months in Nord Sjaeland in Danmark, so could attend Soul venues in Kopenhagen.

Social source share

I saw you in Aachen with Johnny Weston in top form for sure.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know about overseas scenes as such but back in the 80's soul collecting/buying seemed restricted to the UK and Japan with a few occasional Europeans. Now it is literally all over the world...The list of countries gets longer and longer. Also sending records made in LA back to LA is pretty strange!

dean

Social source share

I went to the Dusseldorf All-nighter, Germany in the 80's (A trip organised by Kurt Fricker) It was an exciting adventure especially back then being so young. In recent years I went to Bologna in Italy, and that was good. I'm hearing more and more brits are now attending them - I hope they don't ruin it for Dave! :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

At the start of the year I set up a small group on Facebook called the European Soul Club Network. The idea was to get a better idea of events a group of soulies over here in the Amsterdam area could look at going to. Unexpectedly, the page took off and it's grown quite a bit and already has a pretty good calendar of European events through to the summer of next year. It's nowhere near comprehensive, but it's made me realise That there are an awful lot of soul nights and nighters going on, with Belgium and Germany being particularly active.

The Netherlands is also becoming more active. Just this Saturday we've got a soul cruise coming over from the UK with a "mini alldayer" taking place in Amsterdam during the day. In the evening we've got the monthly Amsterdam Soul Club event with Pete Lyster as special guest.

It's an increasingly soulful place is mainland Europe! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/europeansoulclubnetwork/

The Facebook group sounds good Russell, thanks for this I'll take a look. We're hoping to visit the Netherlands in December to go to the Amsterdam Soul Club night.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK someone has to say this….

There is more than one scene in Europe :wicked:

Some upfront and refreshingly new, others Brits abroad playing oldies.:D 

Oh dear, it's spread already! :lol:

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Punctuation.
Social source share

OK someone has to say this….

There is more than one scene in Europe :wicked:

Some upfront and refreshingly new, others Brits abroad playing oldies.:D 

and of course you only attend the upfront and refreshing nights, so have no basis on which to make your second comment regarding Brits playing oldies. :D

but each to their own, I have no desire to go to Europe to listen to failed disco records and funk. I do enough of that here :D

Edited by Dave Rimmer
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Musically it is generally what it is here but without the divisions.  Many promotions have Dj's from the UK, some I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to in this country let alone pay to travel abroad and listen to  :rofl:  The punters danced whether they knew the record or not which was refreshing to see.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

and of course you only attend the upfront and refreshing nights, so have no basis on which to make your second comment regarding Brits playing oldies. :D

but each to their own, I have no desire to go to Europe to listen to failed disco records and funk. I do enough of that here :D

as you say Dave….each to their own. And yes you are right I avoid all of the brits abroad events (and local oldies nights which also exist in parts of Europe) - thing is you can normally work out what the music will be like by looking at the DJ line-up. Going abroad isn't cheap for those of us not in full time employment.:thumbsup: 

Social source share

as you say Dave….each to their own. And yes you are right I avoid all of the brits abroad events (and local oldies nights which also exist in parts of Europe) - thing is you can normally work out what the music will be like by looking at the DJ line-up. Going abroad isn't cheap for those of us not in full time employment.:thumbsup: 

I thought you worked for a bank in the city of London Steve ? But I know what you mean, speaking as someone who isn't in any type of employment. :D

Social source share

Going abroad isn't cheap for ANYONE!  (unless your boss or clients are paying for it!:lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Backdrop

I entirely agree...  little stevie  The European Soul clubs have opened up a whole new world for many europeans.

Most of us living outside the UK , wittness this at first hand.

Seeing so many people "discovering" this great music for the first time, is a delight and refreshing.

Its healthy and thriving , although you wouldn"t think so , according to another thread on here.

Much less politics  and much less of opinions here.  ( so far) . 

(but lets not say, we haven"t been warned) 

Social source share

I've been to one, Bamberg Soulshakers. It was amazing, an absolute ball. But with another baby due in October it's looking unlikely we'll be there next year but the year after....

Social source share

Hi, I am one of those stompers from Mr Ms that are supposed to have killed off the northern scene way back in the early 70s -  but we had fun whilst doing it.

Since my return from Asia in 1998 I have been part of the soul scene here in Germany, especially in Hamburg. I think it could be of interest to know that the german rare soul scene developed out of the "roller scene" or the scooter scene. This scene I am told was at its peak in the 90s with up to 1000 scooterists meeting at a "scooter treff". The music covered a wide spectrum from Billy Ocean to the Yum Yums. Since then the numbers have dwindled and now we probably have around 30 "hard core" in Hamburg and  only a hand full in each of the major cities - the great thing is that most of us know each other so  that the allnighters are nearly always a big reunion - which makes the scene so special. Music includes oldies, modern and R&B, classic Uk oldies were frowned upon but are slowly making a come back as the prices for everything else rocket.

This is my personal impression of the german scene. Maybe some one else would like to chip in?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The rare soul scene in mainland europe has been going since the mid-eighties, maybe unrecognized with some - just sayin :wink:

There were very vibrant soul scenes on the mainland in the 70s too. The "Popcorn" in Belgium and "Sweet Soul" by the Surinams in The Netherlands most prominently. The latter didn't quite survive tho... 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!