The rare soul scene in Europe and beyond

Has anybody been to the events held in Vienna ?

Yes, I did the weekender there last year. Really good, several venues dotted around the city (absolutely wonderful place btw) - it isn't on this year so not sure if it was an experiment. I have also done Bamburg and Hamburg, Rimini and Cannonball in Italy, Madrid Niter and making a return trip to Hamburg in 2 weeks. Love the European weekenders, some of the music can get quite funky at certain places which isn't really my taste but overall I always have a ball.

Mark C :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice thread Steve.  My initiation to the scene began in Germany.  As a Brit abroad, I will always be indebted to the Munich soul family for looking after me.  The Babalu/ Atomic Cafe were my 100 Club, and the Loft was my Kings Hall J.   (When there was nothing on, I went to the actual 100 Club and Kings Hall.)  

German soulies are generally a diverse younger crowd of mixed friendlies (aged 20 to 50).  The key elements are tolerance, and an open-minded attitude on the floor to everything played, and everyone else.   Some allnighters don’t set tables with chairs out, so standing/ drinking space is floor space as the venue fills.  To dance, you just get in there!!  Drinks spillage is resolved by shed loads of talc.  No-one whinges, or gets too grumpy, and each to his/her own.  The success of the night is measured by the smiles on the faces of dancers (up for just about anything!) and OVO is a serious given in respect of the roots and knowledge of the music.  I’ve only danced in Berlin, Munich, Nuremburg, Bamberg, Hamburg, Augsburg and Frankfurt like many other Brits I imagine.  And enjoyed every single night!  Smaller venues are on the rise, with younger promoters working passionately raising the profiles of smaller towns.

Bamberg Weekender is popular, as is Hamburg, and Nuremburg. Germany has added bonuses; good food, beer, history, art and culture making weekend breaks a special experience if you want to sightsee (usually ends up pear shaped, as the record sales bars are where the magic happens!).  Berlin and Munich are superb to visit, but you need to book flights well in advance for best prices.

See you soon Dave.  You should know Steffi & I idolised your footwork to reach your standard! I think we turned out alright! J   And Frank, you need to hit the floor moves more often J

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people.

I'm coming over to Birmingham on the 17th of october and am from Switzerland. We do a Soulnight called "Spin Club" every two months since about 10 years and have the Not too Young - Swiss Soul Weekender with its 5th edition in march 2016. We play a mixture of Soul, Funk, Gospel and original only. 

I decided to focus on lesser known stuff at Birmingham as some other HEAVYHITTERS like Nev Griffiths, Mark White, the Wood couple and Kevin Higham will play stuff of the highest order! So if you are interested in what we do in Switzerland and if you are open to listen to some lesser known and underplayed tunes from me please join this night and say hello!

Edited by Henning Börm
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!