wow john manship does it again

Russoul1

A very rare record and in perfect condition. I could never grasp why the record was so undervalued in his Price Guides. Two great sides also. Cast in styrene, there can't be too many pristine copies in existence.

I have one...in perfect condition which I brought as a want of here £200 I think two/three years ago

my mate recently sold a copy on here for £300 which I thought was good going....as you say always seems to be listed at £300 in jm guides

Social source share

Was discussing this with some of the lads why it was still for auction.....it was roughly £350 at the time..we said 'watch this go for £500, bloody madness'...never in a million years did we think it would go for over £800....absolute bloody madness!....fantastic record though.....kind regards..Rob

HA HA   was this pun intended  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

£250 IMO ITS NOT RARE

hi, just been checking the latest jm auction results and had to look twice at the finish price

of Jack Montgomery.....£854.00.....

great double sider but.......MADNESS

any thoughts guys?£

Social source share

Here we go again. You can't keep harping back to the good old days every time a record sells for big money. There were loads of records around in the 70's and 80's, even the big ticket stuff was in sales boxes at nighters.

I know I have been guilty of saying "how much?" plenty of times in the past, but these records just aren't out there for sale anymore, especially in mint condition. And if you want to own them.........

You gotta pay the price. :D

I'm not harping back Phil,pointing out that its not that rare.Adding to the thread etc etc.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We've been talking about the bubble bursting for as long as I can remember. Yet prices still continue to rise.

if there are a lot of "new" people that have started collecting recently, they won't know about the history of records like this. Let's face it, there are many records that aren't rare yet regularly fetch big prices. What has changed is that when JM auctions a record it reaches the attention of a lot of people. If it's a good record, which this is, then it becomes a wanted record. Once that happens, the copies that were visible suddenly disappear. 

There are loads of examples of this, where a record that appears to be common suddenly goes up in price and then becomes hard to find. Look at Jeanette or Innersection. Both prolific, both brilliant, both go for big money.

There used to be a plethora of antiques around a hundred years ago, you couldn't give them away.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It is simple there are a lot of people who want to buy rare soul records and particularly ones that are in good condition. There are now more DJ's and more collectors with a lot more money than ever before and that will push up prices. The more popular the record the higher the price, Bloody simple!

When Nick Mason paid £37,000 for his Ferrari 250 GTO in 1977, a car that originally only cost £6000 in 1962-64 people said he was nuts, what are they saying now it's worth £25 million! It is worth that because there were only ever 39 made and more people want one than there are cars available.

Put that into perspective for a rare record where maybe only a couple of hundred copies have ever been found. When there were only a couple of big soul venues and most record dealing was done in the record bar so of course it seemed like there were loads of copies because there were probably only a dozen dealers and most of them had a copy or maybe a few more. Now then think how many have been lost or trashed since the early 70's and that couple of hundred gets reduced down to probably less than a hundred, now that is a rare record if it is mint condition it is worth a lot of money.

So will all those cloth cap wearers stop moaning that their fish supper isn't 2 shillings and thruppence anymore and although there "seemed" to be loads of copies of this and that around in 1970's they are not around anymore or they very rarely come up for sale so if you want it you have to pay the highest price at the time. Or are they just moaning because they didn't buy them when they were £3 or £4 each and are cashing in? 

Social source share

If all these people buying expensive Northern records are buying for "collections" - brilliant, but if they're buying as "D.J. tools" then the rules of "market economy" may also apply, with more D.J.'s than there are D.J. "spots" - Already had a few budding D.J.'s moaning to me that they can't get a look in - I have always wondered what the feasibility is of running a night where the D.J.'s pay to D.J. and the customers get in for free - All hypothetical of course

Interesting debate though

Des

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Des, you know the answer to that question already.

Most people don't dance anymore, combine that with the fact that they must be bored stupid with the same records and same people at there local soul night. 

What's  the answer? I'll become a DJ. I could do a much better job than these jokers anyway.

Twelve months down the line when our hero can't get a spot anywhere.

I'll show the b***ards. I'll start my own night.

And so it goes on, and on, and on. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

that's the figure we put on it....because it's fetched this much on jm's auction, do you think it will now sell for more when seen on e-bay, from other dealers, record bars etc?.......Rob

NO WAY

Social source share

I sold a mint Stan Ivory 12 to a cunning chap [and good luck to him] the week John Manship put it on auction. for £35,..which is right for a perfect copy.Is it my ears but did the Jock Mitchell [which I did bid for] soundclip have a classic styrine rewind burn at the start? I'll happily pay £300 for a mint one if anyone has one but I doubt that will happen now. As for general prices going up you do have to factor in that £10 in the 70's is a £100 now.

dean

Social source share

If all these people buying expensive Northern records are buying for "collections" - brilliant, but if they're buying as "D.J. tools" then the rules of "market economy" may also apply, with more D.J.'s than there are D.J. "spots" - Already had a few budding D.J.'s moaning to me that they can't get a look in - I have always wondered what the feasibility is of running a night where the D.J.'s pay to D.J. and the customers get in for free - All hypothetical of course

Interesting debate though

Des

I ran a little Thursday night session in the 80's where I charged the punters £2.00 entrance / and the D.J's £1.00 (Nothing sinister, it was just to cover the cost of the room) Only one D.J had a slight moan - These were innocent times though (Well, very different to today)

But I recon at some events if you had a head count against a 'D.J Head' count, your hypothetical scenario has already taken place! :D (Loosely speaking)

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well people pay their money and take their choices but ... I had this in a fair quantity back in 70s and despite it being a fabulous double sider people at the time were not interested ... Even for £1 .... and yes I did give them out amongst other Detroit goodies at Clifton Hall Allnighter as freebies early 80's.

Social source share

Well people pay their money and take their choices but ... I had this in a fair quantity back in 70s and despite it being a fabulous double sider people at the time were not interested ... Even for £1 .... and yes I did give them out amongst other Detroit goodies at Clifton Hall Allnighter as freebies early 80's.

Well I think I paid too much for mine then, it was £3 from the Soul Bowl!!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I have one...in perfect condition which I brought as a want of here £200 I think two/three years ago

my mate recently sold a copy on here for £300 which I thought was good going....as you say always seems to be listed at £300 in jm guides

For whatever reason John seems to obtain higher prices than Ebay, well done to him. Talking to a seller the other day he thinks he can get JM's prices but doesn't seem to have done so yet.

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!