price guides

Russoul1

hi all, I know most of us use jm price guides etc for guidance but with the record market going though the roof with mad prices being

paid for 45s is it time that we now have to be thinking doubleing the price instead of halving as a rule of thumb based on condition of records

gonna be some big prices in the next edition/s

hopefuly you get what im trying to say...lol

thoughts...?

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Eagerly awaiting the next Price Guide, but the way values are sky-rocketing in many cases means the figures will be questionable and soon out of date. As long as both buyers and sellers acknowledge that Price Guide valuations are merely just a pointer rather than an absolute set-in-stone figure, there are no real problems. John goes to great lengths to justify his methodology at the start of the Price Guides emphasising the prices are for mint condition records, something often overlooked in transactions around the globe. I would like to see the values expressed in U.S. Dollars at the usual $1.50 to the £1.00 exchange rate rather than British Pounds a Sterling with a 20% VAT factored in.

Social source share

John manships auction should Never be used as any Guide IMO , They are inflated and not a realistic ..just need to take a look at the weekly Manship auction madness topics on here.. Most stuff you can source at least 30-50% cheaper than the guide prices ,eBay / discogs on SS ...Paul

Edited by jimmy clitheroe
Social source share

I believe and suspect the abuse of the guide by sellers and buyer is the issue; not the guide itself. 

JM  and TB state a value their respective business puts on a mint record that is for sale at a certain point in time, the public take that published value and assume the book value applies to their shagged out copy (minters are rare and getting rarer). In reality Mint value is 100% on book value, Excellent is 75% on book value, Very Good is 50% on the book value etc and condition is subjective.

In addition I have no doubt the value changes between the book in draft form and publication so it is always a guide and not a definitive record valuation. Supply and demand changes the values on the records, as a tune becomes vogue at venues the price often increases as people look to purchase the record (Wade Flemons = Jeanette) and likewise as a tune falls out of favour its value decreases.

There are some very special rare records that are ultra expensive because collectors want them and they rarely become available for sale, in those circumstances the guide is an informed guestimate on the value the record could achieve. 

I don't blame the books for the rocketing price of vinyl, it's the supply and demand thing in conjunction with overlooking of record condition that causes the inflation.  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!