Who was Sir Guy Armond?

Sir Guy Armond's 'God Bless a Woman ' on Scamm, a West Coast label from 1966 is a gem of a record that should appeal to most tastes. Delivered by an almost operatic basso profundo vocal I,ve wondered who he was and if he recorded again.

Today I heard a track from 1976 'Down On My Luck', by Wardell Howard who cut one album 'Where Were You' on Quad Associates Music Company, also on the West Coast. The vocal immediately reminded me of Sir Guy Armond. Does anyone know if its the same singer? 

'

Edited by Stormcock
Spelling error
Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bill Sampson, who owned / ran Scamm Records + VIP Enterprises, had been a DJ as far back as the early 50's (for KWKW out of Pasadena, Cal). The Sir Guy Armond 45 was the first release on his label. The label name was changed to Scamm Sound. Hayward Lee & the Marauders (who had the 2nd 45 out on the label) had started out as HL & the Bluenotes around 1965 before becoming HL & the Maurauders. They were from Freso, Cal and info on them can be found here ..............  https://thebrymers.sharepoint.com/Pages/1960sSanJoaquinValleyBands.aspx

Can't find much about a singer called Wardell Howard apart from a review of a show that a guy of this name undertook in 1978 in Sarasota, Florida. At that time he was one of the solo singers with the Roger Wagner Chorale (they had 2 LP's out on Chorale Records in July 67).  The Roger Wagner Chorale were based out of LA so I guess this is the same Wardell Howard. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!