The Hardest venue to DJ at .?

KevH

I struggled a bit at Lindisfarne festival a couple of weeks ago. An open sided dance tent with a gale blowing through it and my spot bounced from noon back to 10am. You can't say I'm not up for a challenge...

There's always a learning point, however and this time it was focus on the stewards - if you can get them dancing, other people are intrigued as to what's going on and gradually you can drag 'em in :D

Social source share

I've played serious sport, and worked in professional kitchens, and DJ'ed to 2000 people....You have to look down the barrel and try not to shake! Hacie, Northern, Moss Side, even Yorkshire... do your best and believe in your records because they are more important than you.If your any good you'll carrry on.

dean,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Normanton Miners Club sometime early 70s on a Tuesday night I think. My set was fine but tempered with the fact that trouble was brewing between the locals and the Northern mob who were all coming down after a long weekend with several beyond control and falling over tables, knocking drinks flying etc, etc. So I knew it was gonna go off and got ready for a quick exit with records intact if poss. Only just made it, they were lobbing bricks at the car as I hauled ass out of the car park. Close call. :)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's playing records ffs, how hard can it be? :lol:

So why doesn't every f*cker do it then?.........Oh, hang on......:D

Have a good weekend folks wherever you go - I'm at my 7 year old Daughters Birthday Party.........and she didn't ask me to D.J :(

:D

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Normanton Miners Club sometime early 70s on a Tuesday night I think. My set was fine but tempered with the fact that trouble was brewing between the locals and the Northern mob who were all coming down after a long weekend with several beyond control and falling over tables, knocking drinks flying etc, etc. So I knew it was gonna go off and got ready for a quick exit with records intact if poss. Only just made it, they were lobbing bricks at the car as I hauled ass out of the car park. Close call. :)

Ian D :)

Ian, are you sure you are not making excuses cos your set upset a few locals:yes:; perhaps having Supremes 'baby love' etc in the box might have saved the day.

Atb

Stu

Social source share

Guest johnny hart

The Manattan Club , Ashton In Makerfield Wigan, 1970..Todays Ns Djs think its tough playing a 60 minute set to a captive ,converted audience of like minded soulies. Easy .childs play try a typical chicken inthe basket club in the 70s. As a mobile dj with an evangelical fervour for "rare soul"try earning your £5 a night following a,Sonny and Cher Tribute duo ,{with a topless Cher} my playlist was thus; " Band Of Gold",{soften them up } then;"hooked By Love" ,Someday Wre gonna love Again", Little hank, "Misunderstanding" ," Your Ready Now!"  I ended up hurling abuse at the equally abusive, intoxicated rabble {and that was just the women}.Exit stage left,3 flights of stairs,with; 2 garrard sp 25 mk3s,a Linear 50 watt valve amp,500 records ,two 4by 12 " speaker cabs ,too be met in the car park by said neanderthals mates offering to assist me!  LOL Johnny.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!