chesterman

Snoz (Paul Barker) from Barnsley RIP

I know quite a few people on here knew Paul but hadn't seen him for a few years. Sadly Paul died whilst working in the Far East last month.

I had the pleasure of growing up with him and for quite a few years we were inseparable, even maintaining a "shared" record collection with him, purchasing some really expensive vinyl with whatever cash we could acquire by whatever means.  He was a man of many facets, funny, generous, a master of getting in to scrapes and a genius at getting out of them! We hitched from outside Barnsley for our first Easter Sunday or Monday all dayer at Wigan, got there at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. We calculated that we would have to leave at 7 to get home on the same day, needless to say we stayed until the end and got into real shit when we finally got home. We were both in the fourth year (year 10) at senior school at the time.

Fond memories of the Londoner, Bub, Derek Greenhoff, Tubby etc.

F*** me, that's shocked me :(  Paul was a good mate especially the time I was spending in Barnsley. Regularly put me up when I came up to DJ (every week for a couple of years lol) at the Tracky.  Had some great times with Paul and Ali.

R.I.P. Paul.

Sorry to read that-not seen him for years but he was a proper character-have great memories of going to Bradford etc with him-always a laugh-I bet him, tosh and bub will be causing havoc In heaven-respect- angus 

Shocked to hear this very sad news,Snoz was a really nice guy and a great character.He was well known not just in Barnsley but all over the soul scene.I haven't seen him at any venues for years,and often wondered how he was and if he and Ali were still together.When  I think of Snoz I flash back to the Tracky Club on Harborough Hills Barnsley when on one occasion Jacque and I had just arrived and I'd bought two drinks at the bar and had just put them on a table when all of a sudden the table and drinks went flying.Snoz and Ali had just had a barney and in the commotion the table somehow became involved,Snoz being a true gentleman came over apologised and proceeded to buy us two more drinks, we were all amused by this and went on to have a great night. Deepest condolences go out to Pauls family.

Jacque and Fred ward

Edited by Mr Fred

Just heard the sad news last night.

Paul and another mate John introduced me to the Northern Scene 40 years ago when we were 15. Really good memories of school (Paul once for a bet 'fell in' the pool at Holgate's swimming gala fully clothed) and going to lots of different clubs: Boys Club, My first All-Nighter at Samantha's 1976, The Londoner, Tracky Club to name just a few.

Hadn't seen in such a long time and was hoping to catch-up with him one day.

RIP Paul. Your old mate Stace.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.