Snoz (Paul Barker) from Barnsley RIP

Guest chesterman

Guest chesterman

I know quite a few people on here knew Paul but hadn't seen him for a few years. Sadly Paul died whilst working in the Far East last month.

I had the pleasure of growing up with him and for quite a few years we were inseparable, even maintaining a "shared" record collection with him, purchasing some really expensive vinyl with whatever cash we could acquire by whatever means.  He was a man of many facets, funny, generous, a master of getting in to scrapes and a genius at getting out of them! We hitched from outside Barnsley for our first Easter Sunday or Monday all dayer at Wigan, got there at 4 o'clock in the afternoon. We calculated that we would have to leave at 7 to get home on the same day, needless to say we stayed until the end and got into real shit when we finally got home. We were both in the fourth year (year 10) at senior school at the time.

Fond memories of the Londoner, Bub, Derek Greenhoff, Tubby etc.

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Shocked to hear this very sad news,Snoz was a really nice guy and a great character.He was well known not just in Barnsley but all over the soul scene.I haven't seen him at any venues for years,and often wondered how he was and if he and Ali were still together.When  I think of Snoz I flash back to the Tracky Club on Harborough Hills Barnsley when on one occasion Jacque and I had just arrived and I'd bought two drinks at the bar and had just put them on a table when all of a sudden the table and drinks went flying.Snoz and Ali had just had a barney and in the commotion the table somehow became involved,Snoz being a true gentleman came over apologised and proceeded to buy us two more drinks, we were all amused by this and went on to have a great night. Deepest condolences go out to Pauls family.

Jacque and Fred ward

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Just heard the sad news last night.

Paul and another mate John introduced me to the Northern Scene 40 years ago when we were 15. Really good memories of school (Paul once for a bet 'fell in' the pool at Holgate's swimming gala fully clothed) and going to lots of different clubs: Boys Club, My first All-Nighter at Samantha's 1976, The Londoner, Tracky Club to name just a few.

Hadn't seen in such a long time and was hoping to catch-up with him one day.

RIP Paul. Your old mate Stace.

Social source share

• 6 years later...
On 26/12/2021 at 19:04, Lyndon Barker said:

Hi everyone Paul was my dad if anyone got any memories they could share with me I’d be grateful 

Hello Lyndon

Your dad was one of the best, a great mate who would do owt for you.  It was actually an argument or as said a scrape that I first met your dad, a record one of my mates was selling.  After that we became good mates.

Like I said I stopped at yours many a weekend.  Would come up from Chesterfield to Dj at the Track.  We would be carding in the pub with t'other Barnsley lads, Derek, Tubby, Chap, Bub etc in the afternoon before going down the Tracky, half cut from all the ale :D Often on to a nighter after the Tracky or back to your mum and dads.  

I made some great friends in Barnsley and had some great times.

Say hello to your mum for me, not seen her for years.

Chalky

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

House at cope street. Or Royston. Remember people always at ours at Royston I’d come down around 2am ish after record player was fired up to a house full of people literally couldn’t move for folk then be passed round and introduced to everyone as Paul and Ali’s son.

I’m afraid I don’t speak to my mum. After they divorced I became too much like my dad she says and we fell out 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Lyndon Barker said:

House at cope street. Or Royston. Remember people always at ours at Royston I’d come down around 2am ish after record player was fired up to a house full of people literally couldn’t move for folk then be passed round and introduced to everyone as Paul and Ali’s son.

I’m afraid I don’t speak to my mum. After they divorced I became too much like my dad she says and we fell out 

Neither if memory serves, Park Road, up from I think Coach and Horses.  That was the pub we had the afternoon sessions in before Tracky, football ground behind the pub somewhere? only went top Royston once and that was when I picked your dad up for Bub's funeral if I remember rightly.  You have a sister?

Shame about you and yer mum.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

I think Paul was about same age as me I can remember going to boys club ymca Londoner (15) obviously port cullis from my memory I think he used to collect ,(share) records with another lad from same school as Paul spent a bit of time years after at events with chap etc the only pub chalky I can think about with a football pitch at back might have been Dillington up common that used to have soul nights Fridays and a dog track the man to ask is Derek Greenhough 

Hope this helps yocky

Social source share

12 hours ago, Stephen Yoxall said:

I think Paul was about same age as me I can remember going to boys club ymca Londoner (15) obviously port cullis from my memory I think he used to collect ,(share) records with another lad from same school as Paul spent a bit of time years after at events with chap etc the only pub chalky I can think about with a football pitch at back might have been Dillington up common that used to have soul nights Fridays and a dog track the man to ask is Derek Greenhough 

Hope this helps yocky

Sure it was Coach and Horses mate, on the junction of Park Road/Sheffield Road coming out of town.  Got the football bit wrong  I reckon.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

On 28/12/2021 at 12:29, Lyndon Barker said:

Looking at map it would be Cope Street where I spent a great deal of time.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Georgiaj12 said:

My partner says he remembers you chalky, unfortunately he can’t get no pictures of his dad ect which is what I’m trying to do now for Paul’s grandson Reggie

Say hello for me.  I don't think I have any photos of your dad either which is a shame.  Happy times with yer dad and the Barnsley crowd.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert