"Cry"?

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

I was out having a bite to eat the other day and over the sound system comes a really excellent record that I realised half way through was a version of Johnny Ray's 'Cry'! Uptempo, late 60s soulful vocal big production. Anyone got any idea who it might be by?

(The next but one record up was The Epsilons 'Mad at the World'!! Unbelievable!)

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

a version of Johnny Ray's 'Cry'! Uptempo, late 60s soulful vocal big production. 

Bear in mind I don't know Johnny Ray's song but the first thing that came into my mind was Teddy Greene's "Cry" on Capitol.

"Soulful vocal big production" yep it ticks all those boxes with room to spare.

But it's not uptempo or from the late 60's - it's New York 1964 through and through.

Apparently that's the only record ever released by him.

Derek

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Thanks fellas. Good record but not the same song.

This one had a kind of Jackie Wilson / Carl Davis vibe about the production. and vocal style.Although I don't know how to explain that as it didn't sound Chicago, I also thought it sounded West Coast! Bit 5th Dimension or something...

Incidentally, its not Jackie Wilson although funnily enough, he did record the song which I found earlier on YouTube. Sounds like that was done in the 50s.

Also I don't think I knew until I started looking into this that Johnny Ray's version came out on Okeh! 

Wonder what it was? Really grabbed me, one of those 'WTF is *this*?'  record moments.:-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!