Amy Winehouse - Rehab

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

I can't get any links up, but if someone can find a video link for this....I think she's done a great job on her next single....check out the Iko Iko handclaps and baritone sax....not bad at all :yes: Jo

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Weight loss affecting voice....er...no, it hasn't. Her voice sounds stronger than ever :lol: If someone can find a clip of 'Rehab', perhaps we can talk about the tune and not the packaging... :D BBW Jo

Jo

I forgot to put this up :ohmy: on the weight comment, back to the voice :lol: ........ i`m no good & stronger than me sound very strong tracks............ she still has that bluesy jazz & soulful quality to her voice. From the picture she still has some dam fine packaging as well :lol: , anyone know if she`s doing any gigs to promote this album.

Social source share

William Bell and Jesse James have just released 2 cd's, they aren't brilliant by any means, but a million times better than Amy Whinealot, am I being pedantic when I say it would be nice to debate such soul cd's rather than the latest press hype on SOUL Source???

Grumbling back to my gin and armchair, muttering the worlds gone barmy!!

Moaning Jock

PS I do agree she is/was a looker if that gets me out of jail even a little bit.

Social source share

William Bell and Jesse James have just released 2 cd's, they aren't brilliant by any means, but a million times better than Amy Whinealot, am I being pedantic when I say it would be nice to debate such soul cd's rather than the latest press hype on SOUL Source???

Moaning Jock

PS I do agree she is/was a looker if that gets me out of jail even a little bit.

eh up jock. i don't think you are being pedantic but you could always start the thread yourself mate? whistling.gif

Shane

Social source share

Moaning Jock

real positive post........... well done whistling.gif , we cant like all three artists then blush.gif ..........

If you have a plug on the chair ........... insert in socket & leave others to enjoy there choices :huh: .

Social source share

Moaning Jock

I agree with ya Jock, shouldn't Amy topic be in freebasing? Is she a soul singer? Thought she was a pop singer whistling.gif

Whats the details on the Archie and Jesse cds? especially the Jesse James

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I agree with ya Jock, shouldn't Amy topic be in freebasing? Is she a soul singer? Thought she was a pop singer blush.gif

Ah Chalky, so where does that leave Nicole Williams, Joss Stone etc etc.....why should this be discussed in Freebasing when the record has soul content. This tune employs the same instruments as the majority of Motown records from 64-66 - baritone sax, drums, trumpets, bass guitar, lead guitar....so what you're saying, if they're contemporary white artists, they're pop/ dance and should be in Freebasing, if they're black artists.... whistling.gif Anyway, I'm not faffed - just thought I'd bring the tune to the attention of people on SS...and Jocko - I'd love to read about the 2 CDs you mention...shame you've buried the topic in this thread...reviews, track lists etc in a new thread :huh: Jo

Social source share

Ah Chalky, so where does that leave Nicole Williams, Joss Stone etc etc.....why should this be discussed in Freebasing when the record has soul content. This tune employs the same instruments as the majority of Motown records from 64-66 - baritone sax, drums, trumpets, bass guitar, lead guitar....so what you're saying, if they're contemporary white artists, they're pop/ dance and should be in Freebasing, if they're black artists.... whistling.gif Anyway, I'm not faffed - just thought I'd bring the tune to the attention of people on SS...and Jocko - I'd love to read about the 2 CDs you mention...shame you've buried the topic in this thread...reviews, track lists etc in a new thread blush.gif Jo

the correct reply imo jo :huh:

you can't win somedays :D

Shane

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

the correct reply imo jo whistling.gif

you can't win somedays :D

Shane

Thanks Shane...I'd almost lost the will to live :huh: Glad to see you've listened to the Sharon M track...sounded great when I played it out the other night at SOSS... blush.gif Jo

Social source share

well i stick up for the topic starter and now we have a really crazy off-topic thread running. don't embarrass me anymore folks shades.gifrolleyes.gif

cheers

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Ah Chalky, so where does that leave Nicole Williams, Joss Stone etc etc.....why should this be discussed in Freebasing when the record has soul content. This tune employs the same instruments as the majority of Motown records from 64-66 - baritone sax, drums, trumpets, bass guitar, lead guitar....so what you're saying, if they're contemporary white artists, they're pop/ dance and should be in Freebasing, if they're black artists.... :thumbsup: Anyway, I'm not faffed - just thought I'd bring the tune to the attention of people on SS...and Jocko - I'd love to read about the 2 CDs you mention...shame you've buried the topic in this thread...reviews, track lists etc in a new thread :thumbsup: Jo

The London Symphony Orchestra use those instruments too but don't make them a soul ban does it :D

I just didn't find the track mentioned particularly soulful and on listening again still don't, think it's pop pure and simple...just my opinion. :)

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Okay I stand suitably chastised for ram-raiding someone elses thread, thought people would be used to my commando type raids to have a soul based moan (tongue in cheek but with a semi serious point I like to think) and then disappear coz I can never find the thread again.

As said trying to be semi funny, (and failing obviously) whilst trying to re-introduce a little of the soul police ethos back as I think they(we) are being very unfairly maligned in recent times.

Semi serious point I was trying to make, was if Amy Winehouse was black do you think she would have had so much publicity? I don't. And in answer to your question Jo, where does Joss Stone stand, well in my opinion she does have a pretty soulful voice but in reality has more in common with Mike Yarwood than Aretha Franklin, and again her background was as much a reason for her success as her voice. I don't think AW does have a particularly soulful voice but would be I think a pretty top notch jazz singer given better material.

And re your comments about instruments etc Jo, would that not make the Commitments the greatest soul group of the last few decades???? I don't think it's the colour of their skin that dictates whether they are soulful, it's the quality of their vocals within a well established genre. Apologies if I keep banging on about this but I think its quite an important point we keep missing on here.

Anyway as penance for the ram-raiding I will review the William Bell/Jesse James cd's tonight when I get home.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

I've put the promo video up in the Media section. How anyone can say this hasn't got soul is a mystery to me. What a voice.

I'll say it, that song has no soul content IMO, i can see she has great potential in her voice, its just the singing style is rubbish, perhaps if she actually sung from her soul there would be one of the greatest voices in todays music scene but singing like that, no chance!

Social source share

I agree with ya Jock, shouldn't Amy topic be in freebasing? Is she a soul singer? Thought she was a pop singer :thumbsup:

Chalky,

William Bell's 'New lease on life' is on Wilbe Records - haven't heard it yet but if its half has good as Jeff Floyd's 'The power is still on' from the same labael, it'll be well worth a punt. Big bolloxed vocals :D

Jesse Jame's 'It's not so bad after all' is on Gunsmoke as usual - rather than me waffle on, have a listen to it on CDBaby :thumbsup:

Edited by Rich
Social source share

I'll say it, that song has no soul content IMO, i can see she has great potential in her voice, its just the singing style is rubbish, perhaps if she actually sung from her soul there would be one of the greatest voices in todays music scene but singing like that, no chance!

What utter bollocks. Clean your ears out deafy.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

I've put the promo video up in the Media section. How anyone can say this hasn't got soul is a mystery to me. What a voice.

:thumbsup:

first time i,ve heard this, what a voice like it alot couldn't give two f**ks if it's pop soul r'n'b, just sounds good to me :thumbsup:

Social source share