Bigsoulman

• Replies 53
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

:yes: If anyone knows where it is, and needs an accomplice, I will happily tie him to a chair and dance around him with a razor, while the rest of you pillage the joint! :yes:
Social source share

This will tear your heart out and spit it out on the floor!!...and by the way, the guy does not like English guys...un-fucking-believable!! :yes::yes::D

Lenny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHzf72ArXn8

Guys, he's been totally cleaned out since the Vid was shot.

You're wasting your time even thinking about hitting his store.

Nothing there.

Not a bean.

Stay away.

Dont go.

Stay home.... it's rubbish.

:(

Sean

Social source share

good old Val they tell me he hates the english even more now since that was filmed it's just vinyl heaven!

woody

so THAT'S Val Shively eh? Philadelphia. That explains the Temptones etc :yes:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Val with Weldon McDougall 3rd, from The Four Larks. Weldon told me when they cut their records, mainly at 309 (Cameo Parkway) studios, they used to press only 300 records at a time due to budget. He struggled to get investors so had to record the songs himself and complete the manufacturing process too. He is a jack of all trades. He even did backing vocals for Barbara Masons' 'Yes I'm ready', which he wrote!

Social source share

This will tear your heart out and spit it out on the floor!!...and by the way, the guy does not like English guys...un-fucking-believable!! :yes::yes::D

Lenny

What did Dottie Cambridge Sing. Crying my eyes out ! So am i . Which English dealer / collector left the place like that ? Know wonder he hates the English. You will be ok though Big Man :(

Steve

Social source share

Hahaha Loosers! :yes::D:(

Thank god I'm not brit! :ohmy::yes:

I don't think he really hates the enlish, I think it's said a bit tongue in cheek. but then again if record hunters leave the place turned upside down, it's a f****** disgrace. we should be ambassadors after all. talk about drool. best rodger I've for years. who wants sex after that? like watching some bint flaunt herself on a webcam. no, it's actually better...

macca

Edited by macca
Social source share

Who bought it all then? :ohmy:

Sorry...... I was 'Winking' and my tongue was firmly in my cheek..... if you get my drift!

He's got over 4 million 45's in stock. Been open since the very early 70's.

I first heard of him in Tony Cummings 'Philadelphia Soul' book circa 1974 and fantasized about clearing him out ever since.

:lol:

Here's his website:-

https://www.rollye.net/valshively.html

And his addy is:-

Val Shively's R&B Records

49 Garrett Road, Upper Darby, PA 19082 610/352-2320 Fax: 610/352-8199

All you US fellas have a good time there won't you!

You'll have the place to yourselves.

We don't need to go of course.... because as the man said..."all the records are in the UK"

:D

Sean

PS: Anybody want to buy a Temptones?

Social source share

Sorry...... I was 'Winking' and my tongue was firmly in my cheek..... if you get my drift!

He's got over 4 million 45's in stock. Been open since the very early 70's.

I first heard of him in Tony Cummings 'Philadelphia Soul' book circa 1974 and fantasized about clearing him out ever since.

:ohmy:

Here's his website:-

https://www.rollye.net/valshively.html

And his addy is:-

Val Shively's R&B Records

49 Garrett Road, Upper Darby, PA 19082 610/352-2320 Fax: 610/352-8199

All you US fellas have a good time there won't you!

You'll have the place to yourselves.

We don't need to go of course.... because as the man said..."all the records are in the UK"

Sean

PS: Anybody want to buy a Temptones?

email: pjshively@comcast.net

youre welcome.

Social source share

This will tear your heart out and spit it out on the floor!!...and by the way, the guy does not like English guys...un-fucking-believable!! :lol::lol::ohmy:

Lenny

Whats his number ???

Maybe I could have a little girlie chat with him set the RECORD straight and convince him he's wrong about us English...

Failing that see if he Fancy's doing a few trades

Nan Granddad sister brother even my mum if he's got a Bobby Rich laying about :lol::D:lol:

Social source share

I don't think he really hates the enlish, I think it's said a bit tongue in cheek. but then again if record hunters leave the place turned upside down, it's a f****** disgrace. we should be ambassadors after all. talk about drool. best rodger I've for years. who wants sex after that? like watching some bint flaunt herself on a webcam. no, it's actually better...

macca

I were gonna ask - haw many men watching this had there c**k in his hand as he wacthed it :ohmy::lol:

Maybe I should pay Val a visit - he'll either want to keep me prisoner and lock me up in a special place, or he'll give me whatever I want to get rid of me :D

Social source share

HE GETS ALOT OF VISITS ,NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT,QUITE FAMOUS ON THE PHILLY RECORD CIRCUIT,I VISITED THIS YEAR GOT SOME BITS AND PIECES ,THE BIGGER STUFF [AND TO BE HONEST YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST 3 WEEKS THERE TO HAVE A GOOD LOOK ABOUT YOU WOULD PAY THE BOOK FOR].

DONT BE DECIEVED ALL THE RARE RECORDS ARE IN THE UK ,SWEEPING STATEMENT BUT NOT AS INACCURATE AS MAY THINK.

BAZ A.

Social source share

HE GETS ALOT OF VISITS ,NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT,QUITE FAMOUS ON THE PHILLY RECORD CIRCUIT,I VISITED THIS YEAR GOT SOME BITS AND PIECES ,THE BIGGER STUFF [AND TO BE HONEST YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST 3 WEEKS THERE TO HAVE A GOOD LOOK ABOUT YOU WOULD PAY THE BOOK FOR].

DONT BE DECIEVED ALL THE RARE RECORDS ARE IN THE UK ,SWEEPING STATEMENT BUT NOT AS INACCURATE AS MAY THINK.

BAZ A.

he's always been ornery,remember turning up on his doorstep"his old shop" one morning at 7 ,after a flight from new york and being told f*** off we dont open till ten
Social source share

In all the countless trips I've made, I've only ever visited Val's once, and although it was O.K. (he does have a lot of vinyl!!) the prices didn't warrant me making a hasty return visit. Unless you can acheive the difficult task of being one step ahead of him ( and many of the other dealers out there) then expect to pay the price. Ironically I was passing the store in June and didn't even bother going in, I don't think that wading through Thousands of unpriced 45's that you know ain't gonna be cheap is a fruitful way of spending A LOT of your time Record hunting in the U.S.

Ironically, John Anderson introduced me to him a couple of years back (and after he'd long forgotten me from my only visit), and he was incredibly friendly and was insistant that I stop by the Store and have a dig around, so out of common courtesy I feel somewhat obliged to visit, but maybe not next time..eh.

Des Parker

Social source share

val was a doo wop collector,before his obsession overtook him,but as per previous quote dont bother going ,the man knows his stuff,he grew up with the guy's that made the philly sound

Sure does know his stuff. He was trading rare 45's before most of us were out of short pants. And to be honest, he makes a fair point about how many (Brit) collectors go about tearing through Store stocks, looking for the big ones!

I've been in a few places where English guys aren't made too welcome because other UK collectors have sullied the patch (That's normally when I play my "Irish" card - works for me!).

Don't get me wrong, like most collectors I know the euphoria of facing a mountain of old US 45's only too well... but folks have got to show some respect to the store owner by not just showing up and trashing the joint!

Dealers these days are very well aware of the 'potential' value of their store stock and are entitled to get pissed off when a treasure hunter turns up with his pit boots and shovel... no matter what time of day it is.

Sean

Social source share

This will tear your heart out and spit it out on the floor!!...and by the way, the guy does not like English guys...un-fucking-believable!! :ohmy::lol::lol:

Lenny

Hi Lenny, I first met Val about ten years ago when Neil Brown and I went on a record spree for a couple of weeks .

He was a little wary at first,telling me to tuck my shirt in(so that I couldn't hide any tunes)

We spent two solid 10 hour days in there and spent just over $3000.

Val sent out for drinks and food for us.

At the end of our second session in there ,he and his wife and a few of his friends took us to the Italian quarter for a cracking meal.

Oh by the way Harvey and the Jokers .....two copies at $10 each :lol:

and whilst in his wharehouse I spoke to Jerry Williams on the phone about A CD that he had just been made aware of with "I'll be back " on it ,he wasn't too happy he produced the tune and wanted some cash out of it :D ATB Stevie z

Social source share

Hi Lenny, I first met Val about ten years ago when Neil Brown and I went on a record spree for a couple of weeks .

He was a little wary at first,telling me to tuck my shirt in(so that I couldn't hide any tunes)

We spent two solid 10 hour days in there and spent just over $3000.

Val sent out for drinks and food for us.

At the end of our second session in there ,he and his wife and a few of his friends took us to the Italian quarter for a cracking meal.

Oh by the way Harvey and the Jokers .....two copies at $10 each shades.gif

and whilst in his wharehouse I spoke to Jerry Williams on the phone about A CD that he had just been made aware of with "I'll be back " on it ,he wasn't too happy he produced the tune and wanted some cash out of it rolleyes.gif ATB Stevie z

I love these stories, nice one Stevie, I'm also a bit envious of course.

Only been to the States once, this July on honeymoon.Found 3 stores, House of Oldies - shut, A1 - nothing, Final Vinyl - shut.

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

This will tear your heart out and spit it out on the floor!!...and by the way, the guy does not like English guys...un-fucking-believable!! :lol::lol::lol:

Lenny

I`ve seen this clip before i think it was all done as a bit of a wind up for us UK collectors,even down to him placing the "Temptones" 45 so it looked like it came from out of nowhere :yes: : :Pwhistling.gif

I don`t think anyones gonna turn Val over on the older known stuff as he knows his stuff,but then again anything recent you could be lucky :P

Dave f.................

Social source share

I`ve seen this clip before i think it was all done as a bit of a wind up for us UK collectors,even down to him placing the "Temptones" 45 so it looked like it came from out of nowhere :lol: : :lol:whistling.gif

I don`t think anyones gonna turn Val over on the older known stuff as he knows his stuff,but then again anything recent you could be lucky :yes:

Dave f.................

I thought that... especially with him mentioning the Temptones AND the Tiffanies at the begining of the film.

And what did he just happen to pull out of that randomly chosen box... :lol:

Social source share

I`ve seen this clip before i think it was all done as a bit of a wind up for us UK collectors,even down to him placing the "Temptones" 45 so it looked like it came from out of nowhere :lol: : :Pwhistling.gif

I don`t think anyones gonna turn Val over on the older known stuff as he knows his stuff,but then again anything recent you could be lucky :P

Dave f.................

:yes: I found that abit strange too......all the boxes of philly stuff he keeps mentioning the temptones then out of nowhere pulls one out with in two flicks, if you look closely the box has all ready been opened :lol:

I thought that... especially with him mentioning the Temptones AND the Tiffanies at the begining of the film.

And what did he just happen to pull out of that randomly chosen box... :lol:

:P Great minds Joan see above post :D

Social source share

:lol: I found that abit strange too......all the boxes of philly stuff he keeps mentioning the temptones then out of nowhere pulls one out with in two flicks, if you look closely the box has all ready been opened whistling.gif

:lol: Great minds Joan see above post :yes:

Oi Val.... us English may be messy sods... but we aint stupid!! :lol:

Social source share

now call me stupid! but why the hell isn't he opening boxes on a daily basis and noting/cataloging his stock now if you can randomly find a temptones like that, wouldn't you be going through everything making as much wonga as you can, or is he just one of these compulsive horders it dont matter whats there just needs to be there whistling.gif

Social source share

Guys, he's been totally cleaned out since the Vid was shot.

You're wasting your time even thinking about hitting his store.

Nothing there.

Not a bean.

Stay away.

Dont go.

Stay home.... it's rubbish.

Sean

I agree Sean ....... whistling.gif

If you dropped on him on an off day , VS hated everyone , never mind Brits .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I don`t think anyones gonna turn Val over on the older known stuff as he knows his stuff,but then again anything recent you could be lucky :lol:

Dave f.................

Today he prices everything by Manship's book, if its not in it then its $20. :lol:

Social source share

ALL THAT ASIDE VAL IS UNDOUBTABLY THE GREATEST FINDER OF RECORDS OF ALL TIME ! I'VE FOUND COUNTLESS FANTASTIC RECORDS THERE OVER THE YEARS...

Yes, and I found him to be a perfect Gentleman who expects you to abide by his rules, which he explains when you first arrive. So, providing you respect him and his property, he'll respect you . . . especially when he's taking your money. :D

On top of that, he's a scream, always cracking jokes and stuffing you with food and drink, which is great 'cos once you're in there you never wanna leave, even for sustenance and sleep.

Social source share

Yes, and I found him to be a perfect Gentleman who expects you to abide by his rules, which he explains when you first arrive. So, providing you respect him and his property, he'll respect you . . . especially when he's taking your money. :D

On top of that, he's a scream, always cracking jokes and stuffing you with food and drink, which is great 'cos once you're in there you never wanna leave, even for sustenance and sleep.

ABSOLUTELY SPOT ON STATEMENT...
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

oh my god please tell me this is not a dream but i want to be there and wade through his stuff. i love collecting music and would have a field day if can spend money but as told

when you go abroad you can't bring a lot back due to weight and all i say is well sod the others and there items make sure i can bring more music back and take less lol

Social source share

Guest Soulbrew

A few years back - I think it was 2000/2001 - while I was still working in London, this American

fella comes downstairs in the shop where I was working and he starts like this:"The guy upstairs

told me that there's somebody here into soul music, is that you?"

I say yes and he gives me a look like:"mmmm This deal is not for you boy...." and he goes on

"My father-in-law is into real-estate business and he just purchased a warehouse in Houston

TX. It has been locked since the early 7t's as the owner went bankrupt bla bla bla." He then

says it was a hub/deposit for juke box distribution and when they went in for the first time,#

they found some 5.000.000 7"....

Bottom line is he was trying to sell them by pallets... He gave me his email address, saying

that he was going to see Manship the day after...

To this day I don't know whether the fella had one to many or not...

Social source share

A few years back - I think it was 2000/2001 - while I was still working in London, this American

fella comes downstairs in the shop where I was working and he starts like this:"The guy upstairs

told me that there's somebody here into soul music, is that you?"

I say yes and he gives me a look like:"mmmm This deal is not for you boy...." and he goes on

"My father-in-law is into real-estate business and he just purchased a warehouse in Houston

TX. It has been locked since the early 7t's as the owner went bankrupt bla bla bla." He then

says it was a hub/deposit for juke box distribution and when they went in for the first time,#

they found some 5.000.000 7"....

Bottom line is he was trying to sell them by pallets... He gave me his email address, saying

that he was going to see Manship the day after...

To this day I don't know whether the fella had one to many or not...

please give us more dusty old vinyl stories,i love it

Social source share

I first visited Val's store in 1974 and he was eccentric then, would ask you to name the price you would pay for stuff etc, if it matched the price he'd written on the sleeve it was yours. He was even banging on about English collectors in those days. But when he was in a good mood, he was great company.

By the way what is it about having large stocks of vinyl that makes most dealers be a bit wierd/paranoid. Is it the thought that someone may be getting a cheap rare tune that they don't know about, or is it a chemical reaction on the brain cause by slow evaporation of the active ingredient in styrene?

Tone ( the other one, not sleeping too well at the moment)

Social source share

Just got back from Vals, and gotta say he was very friendly, if a little 'kooky'.

Pricewise, everything starts at $20, so if you want anything under £20 in the guide it's a bust.

Still managed to pick up a few nice pieces from him, particularly R&B which isn't in the books yet.

He does like to go on about the Lord, Mental Health and I-Raq though, so a pair of ear-plugs is recommended.

Social source share

Before you all rush off to book your flights .....there may be a lot of records in that place, 3 floors, but its all well picked over. Val always makes out he has no idea what is where and he will do you a favour and let you look at stuff no-one else has seen....or stuff from a shipment from a radio station he has just had in, take it all with a pinch of salt!

At his best he is a funny, friendly and engaging guy, at his worst he is a paranoid, bad tempered old man....and his mood can change by the minuite! Still, i kinda like him, and you have to give him respect.

Chris

Social source share

Before you all rush off to book your flights .....there may be a lot of records in that place, 3 floors, but its all well picked over. Val always makes out he has no idea what is where and he will do you a favour and let you look at stuff no-one else has seen....or stuff from a shipment from a radio station he has just had in, take it all with a pinch of salt!

At his best he is a funny, friendly and engaging guy, at his worst he is a paranoid, bad tempered old man....and his mood can change by the minuite! Still, i kinda like him, and you have to give him respect.

Chris

Chris, Does he still swear like a trooper?

Agree with the other comments on here, I went in there in 1991, and people like John A have known him for many years before that. Found about 10 records in 8 hours and nothing special.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!