Watch This And F*****g Weep

Bigsoulman

Just got back from Vals, and gotta say he was very friendly, if a little 'kooky'.

Pricewise, everything starts at $20, so if you want anything under £20 in the guide it's a bust.

Still managed to pick up a few nice pieces from him, particularly R&B which isn't in the books yet.

He does like to go on about the Lord, Mental Health and I-Raq though, so a pair of ear-plugs is recommended.

Joe,gotta say sometimes /most of the time when looking for tunes its about lesser knowns .Looking for the obvious pieces is a waste of time.Its about a collectors knowledge today...if trying to pick up items in the 'States or Europe..that collectors,outside of lists or price guides have awareness of.IMO ATB Steve

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

At work at the moment whilst reading this very interesting thread.

A colleague with me who's not adverse to the music but not a collector other than CD's is to visit the States in May 07.

He's going to North and South Carolina visting places such as Ashville, Wilmington and Charleston. He's also hoping to visit Macon in Georgia, the birth place of Otis Redding he tells me.

Anyway, he asks are there any record shops in this area that he should visit just to have a look around?

Don't panic, he's not about to grab all those goodies that may be there! :rolleyes:

Just something for an interested tourist.

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

I first visited Val's store in 1974 and he was eccentric then, would ask you to name the price you would pay for stuff etc, if it matched the price he'd written on the sleeve it was yours. He was even banging on about English collectors in those days. But when he was in a good mood, he was great company.

By the way what is it about having large stocks of vinyl that makes most dealers be a bit wierd/paranoid. Is it the thought that someone may be getting a cheap rare tune that they don't know about, or is it a chemical reaction on the brain cause by slow evaporation of the active ingredient in styrene?

Tone ( the other one, not sleeping too well at the moment)

Anyone on here ( probably all of you )

visit Rob Smiths shop in nottingham city that guys shop is tidy compared to Robs!!

I went there when i first arrived for this revival

Jesus what a wierd place ..like the attic in the ark!

Whats the difference beteween this guy and Rob?

Rob buys out the same kind of places radio stations and the like

I do know that most of the vinyl we crave comes from the USA

But as most have stated the best stuff is now in the UK

So whats to say that hidden in the shop in nottingham is that rare gem worth thousands?

Mand shhh.gif

Social source share

I don't think he really hates the enlish, I think it's said a bit tongue in cheek. but then again if record hunters leave the place turned upside down, it's a f****** disgrace. we should be ambassadors after all. macca

Whilst in the States with wifey a few years back had the same cold shoulder from a shop owner for the same reasons who was actually that livid he named the two guys and stated he wanted to "kill those cock suckers" coz they left the shop in such a mess (and he accused them of possibly thieving too!!). No - I won't tell you who they were - needless to say I had to tell him he'd have to get to the end of the queue which softened him.

Took us ages to get him to warm to us - fruitlessly I hasten to add - but it just goes to show how our uk soul pals can ruin it for lots of us as I left with the assumption that he had more "behind the counter stuff" available!!

I thought that... especially with him mentioning the Temptones AND the Tiffanies at the begining of the film.

And what did he just happen to pull out of that randomly chosen box... :)

Ditto Joan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!