for sale or not for sale

Russoul1

hi all, was at a do last night, looking at records for sale which there was a few boxes, moved to the next box to see

what there was on offer a 100/150 count box all nicely labelled etc with the seller sitting behind

was flicking through there was about 10/15 records at the front then a cardboard divider, after these the quality

of records on offer became more interesting with some real nice records, got to the end thinking yeh a nice box

of sales, asked the seller about one record which I already have but just wondered what the price was, to which

he replyed there not for sale!....lol the first few are but the rest aren't...WHY... and it wasn't just me because I was watching

other people taking time flicking thru his box with the seller just looking on....

was he just showing off, don't know the guy most probs on here but maybe in the future if your gonna have a sales box

then maybe just have a sales box instead off wasting peoples time, or is this the new way of showing off your goods

maybe we should start having record bars just for bringing your records to show off...now that could be funny lol

What gets my goat where seller has written "Offers" instead of a price. I want to lunge across his sales table and stab him in the throat with a plastic fork.............

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So next time I'm faced with a sales box I should ask upfront if they are all for sale and if not then which ones are?

Which reminds me I had a similar incident at a famous venue near Wigan about 14 years ago and for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. I looked through a 200 box and they were all top quality but when I asked how much he wanted for the the Hy- tones "know my name"  he quite bemusingly informed me that they weren't for sale and that he was one of the DJ's! 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I remember this going off in the mid 70's and into the 80's - it used to really annoy me - show offs, that's all they are! :yes:

Yes the odd record may have been in a box because they's either borrowed it from someone or had it returned from someone, but in the main they are just showing off - lots of us could do that, but we don't do we! :no:

Social source share

'Brains' I think is a guy called Mike? Used to come into Expansions every Saturday and never bought a single record and, trust me, everything was for sale including my shoe laces. Record dealing is great, easy, possibly on occasion fun...until human beings get involved.

dean

Social source share

'Brains' I think is a guy called Mike? Used to come into Expansions every Saturday and never bought a single record and, trust me, everything was for sale including my shoe laces. Record dealing is great, easy, possibly on occasion fun...until human beings get involved.

dean

That's it.. Mike Warburton !! Had several dealings with him over the years - all good. He really likes his 'early' transitional type soul music.

Last time I saw him was 6/7 years ago? at Steve Long's soul nite somewhere up near Chester or Warrington - can't remember now, but the night catered solely for that particular genre.

Social source share

hi all, was at a do last night, looking at records for sale which there was a few boxes, moved to the next box to see

what there was on offer a 100/150 count box all nicely labelled etc with the seller sitting behind

was flicking through there was about 10/15 records at the front then a cardboard divider, after these the quality

of records on offer became more interesting with some real nice records, got to the end thinking yeh a nice box

of sales, asked the seller about one record which I already have but just wondered what the price was, to which

he replyed there not for sale!....lol the first few are but the rest aren't...WHY... and it wasn't just me because I was watching

other people taking time flicking thru his box with the seller just looking on....

was he just showing off, don't know the guy most probs on here but maybe in the future if your gonna have a sales box

then maybe just have a sales box instead off wasting peoples time, or is this the new way of showing off your goods

maybe we should start having record bars just for bringing your records to show off...now that could be funny lol

That sort of pathetic dick-swinging really irritates me.  They just come over as desperate saddos.

Social source share

That sort of pathetic dick-swinging really irritates me.  They just come over as desperate saddos.

Trying to find a positive and reasoning of people showing off their OVO assets rather than selling them at the venue record bar:

How about helping potential buyers learn to recognise OVO on a record they are interested in purchasing and therefore avoiding getting conned into purchasing reissues or boots in error at a later date.  I am pretty sure I couldn't remember all of the OVO labels and deadwax markings; and I wouldn't be on my own in this regard, but once I've seen the original features may stay in the memory.  

Even though he says they are not for sale, perhaps the right offer has not been made or they want the record to go to a good home and strangers don't satisfy the criteria. By chatting to the owner and letting them get to know your interest in the record and sharing your details with them should they decide to sell it at a later date. Some lasting friendships may have started that way.

Perhaps the owner had a specific person in mind who had asked to see or buy the records and they were brought to the venue for their benefit; and that individual had not yet viewed them. 

Atb 

Stu

Social source share

That's it.. Mike Warburton !! Had several dealings with him over the years - all good. He really likes his 'early' transitional type soul music.

Last time I saw him was 6/7 years ago? at Steve Long's soul nite somewhere up near Chester or Warrington - can't remember now, but the night catered solely for that particular genre.

wasn't he part of hideaway ? Saw him do a spot in queen Vic 'tatyn . Either had for sale or played Doris day .Saw him at 100 club couple of times.

Social source share

Also out of interest, Russ, what sort of titles did he have behind the cardboard divider.. Were they like top 500 45's, or other rare collectable types of disc??

Not that I can confess to knowing Mike well at all personally (if indeed it is Mike we refer to..) but on the occasions I have dealt with him over about 15 or so years he never struck me, or came across as, the sort of guy to 'display his feathers' just for the sake of it.

Putting another possible slant on the scenario - I have certainly been 'guilty'of taking a box of rarities from the collection to venues. I never had them openly displayed in any sales box area though.. Rather, I took them when chasing bookings - so as to demonstrate to promoter's the sorts of tunes I would look to play out and to demonstrate the fact they were originals as opposed to boots/carvers/reissues. But it does maybe provide a possible solution to the conundrum presented in the opening post by Russ ? :huh:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Out of interest, Russ, what sort of titles did he have behind the cardboard divider.. Were they like top 500 45's, or other rare collectable types of disc??

Not that I can confess to knowing Mike well at all personally (if indeed it is Mike we refer to..) but on the occasions I have dealt with him over about 15 or so years he never struck me, or came across as, the sort of guy to 'display his feathers' just for the sake of it.

Putting another possible slant on the scenario - I have certainly been 'guilty'of taking a box of rarities from the collection to venues. I never had them openly displayed in any sales box area though.. Rather, I took them when chasing bookings - so as to demonstrate to promoter's the sorts of tunes I would look to play out and to demonstrate the fact they were originals as opposed to boots/carvers/reissues. But it does maybe provide a possible solution to the conundrum presented in the opening post by Russ ? :huh:

Also Russ..

Why did you just not ask him as to his motives when standing in front of him ?? :wicked:

Would've saved all the speculation and general negativity the majority of responses thus far the question has generated.. :yes::P

Hope you okay by the way Russ - missed you at Rugby ??

Social source share

HI,

I too did the same by looking through the record box in question. The gentleman in question was definitely of European origin and not English. Some of the tunes he had behind the cardboard divider were exceptional original vinyl releases, some from the so called top 500 and others a little less well known but quite highly regarded.

He politely informed any one who asked that the only records that were for sale were the ones at the front of the box. I did not detect an air of smugness in his manner and felt he was quite pleasant. Still don't know why he had his dj box mixed with a small batch of sales to the front!!!!!!

ROY

Social source share

HI,

I too did the same by looking through the record box in question. The gentleman in question was definitely of European origin and not English. Some of the tunes he had behind the cardboard divider were exceptional original vinyl releases, some from the so called top 500 and others a little less well known but quite highly regarded.

He politely informed any one who asked that the only records that were for sale were the ones at the front of the box. I did not detect an air of smugness in his manner and felt he was quite pleasant. Still don't know why he had his dj box mixed with a small batch of sales to the front!!!!!!

ROY

hi roy,

maybe at the time I was looking im sure the guy behind the box was english (had a beige arrington jacket and glasses?) I must also state that I never

said the guy was smug etc was just surprised at his response to my question but obviously if these were not his records then it could be a different story

like you said was some nice top 500 rarities plus others in there, for one I wouldn't want a load of people flicking through my records damaging them

nicely presented covers.

Social source share

hi roy,

maybe at the time I was looking im sure the guy behind the box was english (had a beige arrington jacket and glasses?) I must also state that I never

said the guy was smug etc was just surprised at his response to my question but obviously if these were not his records then it could be a different story

like you said was some nice top 500 rarities plus others in there, for one I wouldn't want a load of people flicking through my records damaging them

nicely presented covers.

HI RUSS,

Did not mean to infer that you may have thought the guy was smug. It was just my expectation of someone who has records on show merely to promote his own ego!.

ROY

Social source share

im GUILTY of doing this with tunes i have found .like and cant find anything about...............sometimes you wanna find out if a record is known or not and a record bar and its clients is a great source of information,or a will take a rare  record to show a certain dealer or collecter  for his views on it  and the record sales box is the best place to keep it methinks..........I ALSO LOVE SHOWING OFF GOOD FINDS  , SOMETIMES JUST MAKING MYSELF LOOK A DOPE IN KNOWLEDGABLE COMPANY .......BUT ITS ALL PART OF THE FUN.........ez

• Helpful 1
Social source share

im GUILTY of doing this with tunes i have found .like and cant find anything about...............sometimes you wanna find out if a record is known or not and a record bar and its clients is a great source of information,or a will take a rare  record to show a certain dealer or collecter  for his views on it  and the record sales box is the best place to keep it methinks..........I ALSO LOVE SHOWING OFF GOOD FINDS  , SOMETIMES JUST MAKING MYSELF LOOK A DOPE IN KNOWLEDGABLE COMPANY .......BUT ITS ALL PART OF THE FUN.........ez

It's a pain in the arse...............................

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good point Ezzie.

Social source share

Little guy, suit and glasses?

know this guy, he used to go the the 100 club allot...?

ahhh, I see th reply, "The one who people nicknamed "Brains"-for obvious reasons?" 

thats him... he was painful to deal with on occasions, and sometimes it was just easy...

as you might say, "nout as queer as folk.."

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

This has gone on for years. I remember a guy in the Notts Derbyshire area in the 70's walking around venues with a 50 box trying to look clever.

it also happened to me at the Bretby soul nights runs by Chris Anderton. One guy who now is a dealer had a box with one of my all time wants. We agreed a price and that he would keep it in the box until I was leaving and then I would collect and pay. Went back at the end of the night only to be told that the record wasn't for salemas he was just looking to see what reaction there was to it.

i was all for removing his head at this point but others convinced me to ignore it and move on. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!