A message from Phil Aspinall's Wife Bernie

Below is a piece written by Phil Aspinall's wife Bernie , giving details of the last week of Phil's life , his plans ,and reading it makes me realise even more so than before ,what a special and unique man Phil was .It also outlines Phil's wishes after his death , I'm sure everyone will understand what he wanted to happen .Please feel free to share with anyone who knew and loved Phil ,of which there are far more than I know personally x

Bernie Aspinall

Dear soul mates, family, friends, work colleagues and neighbours.

I want to say thank you for a the messages of condolence. The heartfelt feelings of disbelief and loss. we feel them all. my wonderful superman soul mate and husband of 34 years, father to Alex has left all to sudden leaving a massive gap in our lives and the dance floor. He made me feel very special from the word go, couldn't believe my luck. we have a daughter Alex who is a caring, intelligent wonderful person, with eclectic taste in music and a love of life with friends world wide. My heart is wretched at the purpose of my writing. Phill was many things father and mentor, soulmate and other half of me. A passionate cyclist, runner, gardener, scooter lover, dancer and music lover. Please know that in his last week Phill had enjoyed life to the full. He had planned, set off and camped over night at Cadar Idris , completed a six hour bike ride (for fun). Returning to the camp site at dusk, leaving a stunned farmer behind on his quad bike who complained that "I couldn't catch you man at 33mph." He had also perfected his man cave Shed in the garden. On Friday we had been out for a meal and I know he was looking forward to Saturday night at the Barn. Phill loved many venues, Soul underground, Dab of soul, Life line, Freestylin etc. After taking early retirement we were able to go out again as a couple and I am so grateful we did this. He cherry picked venues for me and we had a brilliant night at Wilton and Dab of soul and danced all night. At Steve and Rowena Morgans evening doo. We were probably the only couple with a talc and a towel! There was no holding him back. Great memories.

Now the difficult part of the message. We had talked about wishes, though you think you will never have to act that part out. phill never wanted to have a funeral of any description. This was something his father did as well, so family fully get this and understand he could never do with fuss, attention, pomp. I know this will be very difficult for people to accept as they want to pay their respects but please believe this was his wish. He would rather have a full dance floor than a full church. This thought gave me goose pimples and feel it was sent from Phill. At some stage in the future with the help of friends, it would be fitting to have soul night in his memory. We could have a book of memories for anyone wanting to record thoughts, feelings and reminiscences. Please bare with us Thank you Bernie, Alex and family. Some where out there, there's a soul haven and Phill is dancing, cycling and running to his hearts content. We will all miss him so very much. x

Thanks Eddie for posting Bernie's letter.

l just hope that in the future the soul night in his memory does happen.

Our thoughts and love go out to Bernie & Family at this very sad time.

Dave & Lou.xxxx

Social source share

phil was a lifelong friend , spoke to him that morning he was looking forward to meeting up later with rowena and i .absolutely gutted when i heard the dreadful news, heart goes out to bernie, alex and family . never wanted the limelight phils passion was unstoppable, phoning me  over the last 30odd years to go to the best venues albeit rare, modern ,house such was his scope for all good music . a great friend to me , and ill miss him forever

steve morgan

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Bernie Steve Foran here. Phil was also my postie and often wrote rude messages on my record buys! Also his Utd jibes v my Spurs comments always made me smile. I reckon I have known Phil since about 79/80. That's a bloody lifetime.

My whole family are in shock at his passing so suddenly. All our love.

Steve Foran, Lesley, Tom and Liam.

I would be honoured to help organise a tribute night anytime.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Hey Bernie, we heard about your sad loss during the Dab Of Soul weekender and our heartfelt condolences go out to you, your daughter and the rest of your family. I know we haven't seen you recently, but you were never really far from our thoughts as Phil's CD's are a fairly constant companion when we are out and about. Phil will be truly missed a man with really great eclectic taste, great wit and an all round top top bloke.

Love and hugs 

John & Ali Nightingale xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!