Greatest Soul Albums (70s)

Guest thebigvegetation

Most of the albums I would have chosen have already been listed. I'm going to stay away from the obvious (Marvin, Stevie, Isleys, O'Jays etc) and go with these-

Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes- "To Be True"

Rufus- "Rags To Rufus"

Temptations- "A Song For You"

Cheryl Lynn (1st album)

Idris Muhammed- "Turn This Mutha Out"

Al Green - "I'm Still In Love With You"

Donna Summer- "A Love Trilogy"

Trammps (Golden Fleece)

Blackbyrds- "City Life"

Ashford and Simpson- "So, So Satisfied"

Barry White- "Songs For Someone You Love"

Ecstasy, Passion & Pain (Roulette)

And 2 from the very early part of the decade-

Four Tops- "Still Waters"

Supremes- "New Ways, But Love Stays"

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Some brilliant albums already mentioned, heres a few off the top of my head apologies if theyve been included earlier

Laura Lee  Same      Wonderful album from one of Souls finest ladies

Laura Lee  Womens Love Rights      As above!

Persuaders  Thin Line Between Love And Hate      Brilliant album from a vastly underrated group.

Persuaders  Peace In The Valley Of Love      As above!

Bobby Hill  Ill Be Your Rainbow      Another of Soul musics underrated and underplayed heroes.

William De Vaughn  Be Thankful For What you Got     Superb LP from someone who should have gone on to become one of Soul musics superstars.

Intruders  Energy Of Love      Contains fantastic version of the above, just waiting to be played by any DJ who claims to love crossover Soul.

Bobby Patterson  Its Just A Matter Of Time      Defies description, as does his Sunday afternoon session at Southport weekender.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

God knows how i missed these off my previous post,

Soul Children      Friction

Soul Children      Genesis

Randy Brown      Welcome To My Room

Sold Solution      Loving You

Natural 4             Heaven Right Here On Earth

Ebonys                Same      One of the greatest LPs of all time, includes full length version of Its Forever, 7 mins 14 secs of glorious Soul. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

39 minutes ago, soulatthedale said:

God knows how i missed these off my previous post,

Soul Children      Friction

Soul Children      Genesis

Randy Brown      Welcome To My Room

Sold Solution      Loving You

Natural 4             Heaven Right Here On Earth

Ebonys                Same      One of the greatest LPs of all time, includes full length version of Its Forever, 7 mins 14 secs of glorious Soul. 

Totally agree. I don't have listed it on my favorite 70's Soul LP's, despite the fact I'm a Philly Soul Lover, because I don't like to hear the whole album non - stop, IMHO there's some tracks I can't hear, too much "edulcorate" for my taste, but the 90% of the album is a masterpiece. Before I found the album (originally pressed in the USA in a second - hand store in Barcelona) I purchased the single (with little hole!) "It's Forever" w/b "Sexy Ways", my absolute Ebony's favorite! What a powerful baritone voice!

Happens to me the same thing with others 70's albums: MFSB "Universal Love", when sounds the track "Let's Go Disco", I can't wait for advance to the next track ("K-Jee") or my favorite Stylistics album "Rpckin' Roll Baby" when sounds the title track,IMHO, so out of context in his feel, the rest of the album is so mellow, specially "Payback Is A Dog". Also with The Dramatic's "Dramatic Way", there's some too much disco-flavoured tracks that makes this album an album I can't hear non - stop track by track; or the album "Magic" by The Floaters (some very good tracks and in the middle, edulcorate ballads)...

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!